Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 307

Exclamation Analysis of team so far (Long)

First off, I know it has been mentioned several times, but how amazing is all the new stuff in Hilton. Jamie Pollard did this in a little over 1 year. I don't really remember too much happening with BV. The future is definitely looking bright. I do wish they would put a baseline on the court though... just doesn't look right without it.

Now to an overall assessment of the team and the players. We are young, that much is obvious, but you have to love the intensity and desire they show to win. I also think it is worth pointing out that it looks like the players are actually HAVING FUN. Did anyone else notice the smiles on the kids faces? When fans were making fun of the Norfolk State guy for screaming McIntosh had the biggest grin on his face. That being said...a 20-53 FG margin is obviously not gonna get it done. I like the offensive rebounds, but they need to work on finishing those put backs.

Now to the individuals.

Corey McIntosh - NO TURNOVERS today which is very impressive. Controlled the game tempo well and was "the general" that we need him to be. My only cause for concern is the fact that he can't go to his left very well. This will be a problem when we start getting full court pressure from Big 12 schools.

Mike Taylor - This kid is a firecracker out there and is fun to watch. He uses his energy appropriately and knows when to push it and when to slow it down. He gets ahead of himself a little bit sometimes, but this will continue to improve I'm sure.

Wesley Johnson - Wow. Talk about a diamond in the rough. Is this kid really a Freshman? If he gets a little "meaner" this kid could be one heck of a player here. His rebounding is what I love so far. I don't know how many times I saw him come from nowhere to snatch a ball away. Puts himself in great position.

Cory Johnson - All I know is he "posterized" a guy today. His tenacity is amazing and I see this kid becoming a crowd favorite in Ames. Needs to improve his down low defense, but as most of you saw McDermott was constantly teaching that today and he will be fine later on.

Dodie Dunson - I thought Dodie had a really good game today and is showing signs of improvement. He did some slashing today, which I hadn't really seen before, and did a good job controlling the ball. Went 2-4 on the day and hit a nice 3-pointer. I think I would like to see him shoot more.

Rahshon Clark - Old (I can't believe I just called him that), reliable Rahshon. I would like to see him be a bit more of a leader and ask for the ball a bit more, but he had a good game and did a nice job, as usual, on the boards.

Ross Marsden - I appreciate the kid, but when Jiri Is back I really don't see him playing. Just doesn't have the tough guy mentality that is needed to play that position.

Jessan Gray - I am not going to say anything here because I don't really have anything positive to say. He should not be on the floor...ever... but that is just my opinion.

Brock Jacobson - Hit his first shot and then went a little cold. I think his main problem is that it takes him so long to release his shot. He's accurate, but it just takes way to long, which is why he got blocked on one that he should have easily gotten off. He's an Iowa boy though, and you can tell that he is ALWAYS gonna play his tail off, which I love.

After a game like this it makes me realize how much I miss Jared Homan. Can you imagine what a team like this could be like with a guy like him down low? Jared if you are out there, I spent a lot of my time complaining about your play, and I was wrong. I was soooo wrong. You were a beast and what we could sure use right now is a beast down low.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Analysis of team so far (Long)

good write up. I havent seen a game yet, but this really is good writing. Keep it up. Ill have to give you rep later as I am all out.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 390
    Given: 153

I think that's a pretty accurate analysis. Somebody needs to take Marsden and Gray aside and have a little chat. If we could get some contributions out of them, it would help.

Norfolk State's beefy guys pushed us around big time down low today. That scares me...this was Norfolk State, not KU, Texas, A&M, OU, etc., etc.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Its difficult to tell where the team stands until we start playing some stiffer competition.

Prospect
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    good write up. I havent seen a game yet, but this really is good writing. Keep it up. Ill have to give you rep later as I am all out.
    You really need to get ESPN Full Court

Roots kickin in.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I agree with some of your post but disagree with more. Taylor is about the most unfun person on the team to watch. Is he athletic? Yes. Quick with the ball? Oh yea. Out of control? Way to much. Can he shoot? Can not throw it in the ocean. He can get to the hole but reminds me way to much of a poor mans Stinson. Turns it over and is out of control like Stinson but doesn't finish like him. He did have some good passes though and is the only guy on the team who can create his own shot. But if I see him pull up from 3 one more time with 20 left on the shot clock I will scream. Didn't even come close to hitting one.

I get why people rip on Gray, as he does just about nothing good when he is in there and does pleny bad. Doesn't seal out when posting up down low and his guy gets around for the steal. But I don't know why people harp on Marsden. Nobody expects him to get us 10 points. He is not that type of player. But at this time he is our best interior D. Y else do you think he starts? Cory Johnson has game but got his butt kicked downlow at the Defensive end. That Gary guy owned him and scored at will. (by the way how awesome was Johnson's dunk)

Wesley Johnson. Wow. Kid's going to be a star. Needs to work on holding onto the ball during rebounds but that will come. Can score from up top or down low and boy can he jump. He should average 10 boards a game. Maybe not this year but next.

Mcintosh was steady. Nothing spectacular but played solid D and had quick hands. Did a good job leading the team.

Dodie. Great game. Played some really solid D. Hit a 3. Was under control. Made 2 poor passes down low but other than that was impressed with this freshman. He seems real intelligent out there.

Clark. Hmmm what to say what to say. He's athletic. He is going to rebound and block some shots. But his D today was poor. Beyond poor. Only guy on the team that continually got beat. Doesn't dribble any better than he did last year. Now this is not a rip on Clark as I love the guy. Hustles every play, rebounds on the offensive and defensive glass but there is still a lot to be desired in this talented young man

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 307

From what you wrote you seem to agree with way more than you disagree. But that's beside the point. I can't believe that you would say Taylor is unfun to watch though... To me he is the most energetic player on our team and could be considered the MOST fun to watch from my perspective. When you handle the ball way more than any other player on the team you are bound to turn it over. He will get better with this when he matures. I agree with you that Marsden is the best low defender we have right now, but as Cory Johnson gets better and Jiri comes back I don't think he'll be seeing the court much.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53

Quote Originally Posted by Rex O Herlihan View Post
    You really need to get ESPN Full Court
    I JUST ordered. I hope it is worth it. My wife and I went to a sports bar today and spent $25 on food and drinks until our 6 month old got grouchy and we had to leave before the game was over. After all that, I decided it was time to spend the money for the comfort of home.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 364

IMO, Marsden has really regressed. No points today? I barely saw him on the court it seemed and with Juri out - Marsden should be seeing a ton of action.

Easily the biggest disappointing player so far - especially with some of the things we saw from him last year. Thought this guy would have flourished under G-Mac. It's early, but still...

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 860
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 163

I like the effort of all the new guys but the one thing I'm the most impressed with is the fact we have a coach. A guy who is actually in control of the players. A little more boring style, ala Tim Floyd, but Mac has these guys actually playing sets. It is a little to bad that it may put the hurt on Clark's high flying fast break dunk style, though.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    IMO, Marsden has really regressed. No points today? I barely saw him on the court it seemed and with Juri out - Marsden should be seeing a ton of action.

Easily the biggest disappointing player so far - especially with some of the things we saw from him last year. Thought this guy would have flourished under G-Mac. It's early, but still...
    i agree about marsden...this kid should be lighting it up in the absence of jiri, but he made no impact. he seems like a good kid, probably has a good work ethic, but is lacking the talent to really compete in the big xii.

in order for this team to be competetive once january rolls around, they MUST knock down a higher percentage of shots. this team is relatively small, so outside shooting is where we could have an advantage. so far, they seem to be playing well together, but there is plenty of room to improve.

**Not every life is perfect, but every life is precious. Support Rescue.**
    http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/nebraskabostonterrierrescue.html

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

Jessan Gray - I am not going to say anything here because I don't really have anything positive to say. He should not be on the floor...ever... but that is just my opinion.
    God forbid we have a guy that scores over 6 points a game in less than 15 mpg, shoots better than 50%, and does smart things like take charges on the floor. He's not great, but he is a very solid backup. I can't see one reason why you would rip this guy. You are aware he, Cory Johnson, and Marsden are the only players in the rotation shooting over 40% right?

But that's beside the point. I can't believe that you would say Taylor is unfun to watch though... To me he is the most energetic player on our team and could be considered the MOST fun to watch from my perspective. When you handle the ball way more than any other player on the team you are bound to turn it over.
    I think I can say with confidence that Taylor is the most frustrating player I've watched in a while. The guy had 11 turnovers again today. He has 28 in four games, averaging 7 turnovers per, and this is against weak competition. Undoubtedly he will get better at that, but it's downright brutal to watch. I don't know if I've seen somebody force it as badly as he does in a while.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Its difficult to tell where the team stands until we start playing some stiffer competition.
    We'll find out a little more Tuesday night. Even though Minnesota isn't that good we havn't played on the road yet, which will lead to some ups and downs with our young team.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 105

Oklahoma beat 'em 99-36...
    I hope we're better than how we played tonight.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Taylor is going to lose them some games this year, no doubt. But at the same time this team needs him. If you watched ISU play this year before Taylor started playing you would know where I am coming from. He gives them something that no one else on that team gives them and that is a guy that can get other guys open outside the context of the offense. Don't forget that when Willoughby came into school he didnt come out of the gates blazing, but their defense kept them in games and he made some big plays to win games.