Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Jon Cooper

Must have no desire to return to coaching? Still think he could get it done for ISU. He is an alum who played on the Dirty Thirty team. He won at Tulsa, at ASU and at OSU. If we are looking seriously at candidates like Price, Solich, or Sherman, age must not be that great of a consideration.

URBCLONE

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 304

Re: Jon Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    Must have no desire to return to coaching? Still think he could get it done for ISU. He is an alum who played on the Dirty Thirty team. He won at Tulsa, at ASU and at OSU. If we are looking seriously at candidates like Price, Solich, or Sherman, age must not be that great of a consideration.
    I would much rather go YOUNG! I remember retiree to be Jim Walden and ALL those losses to the squawkeyes!

ISU should hire the most qualified youngest candidate out there and infuse this football program with energy.

Recruiting is where it is these days and always will be!

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    I would much rather go YOUNG! I remember retiree to be Jim Walden and ALL those losses to the squawkeyes!

ISU should hire the most qualified youngest candidate out there and infuse this football program with energy.

Recruiting is where it is these days and always will be!
    I agree with what you've stated here. Jim Harbaugh is my preferred candidate. I am just curious about Jon Cooper as an alum. I believe he was passed over in favor of Donnie Duncan at the beginning of the 1980's?

URBCLONE

Starter
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 807
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Age of the Head Coach is Not Important

The key is the next head coach's ability to bring in quality assistant coaches that can teach and recruit.

It sounds nice to bring in a young guy like Harbaugh and think he's going to be at ISU for the next 20 years. The reality is if a young coach has success at ISU he will be gobbled up by a Michigan or Ohio State. They can pay more, are on a national stage and it's easier to recruit.

ISU is looking for a guy to come in & win ASAP. If he's only around for 5-8 years thats about the most we can expect from a young guy like Harbaugh or an older guy like Mike Price. If the next coach has solid success, I would hope he has a coach on his staff that would move up to the head coaching job.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A key is also to bring back the ISU fan base. There is a big separation and whether you choose to accept it or not there is a large group I have seen that are upset with Mac leaving. I am not going to argue with you on why he should stay and I am not taking a position that he should. Pollard supposedly gave a speech to the large group of returning football players. I heard that only 3 individuals even clapped when he was done and that several donors have already pulled there annual donations. I just think it will be interesting to see the effect Mac has on our program.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

also look at the Rag where Baum said that many of the seniors and other players will not set foot in JTS again now that Mac is gone.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,411
    Given: 662

Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    A key is also to bring back the ISU fan base. There is a big separation and whether you choose to accept it or not there is a large group I have seen that are upset with Mac leaving. I am not going to argue with you on why he should stay and I am not taking a position that he should. Pollard supposedly gave a speech to the large group of returning football players. I heard that only 3 individuals even clapped when he was done and that several donors have already pulled there annual donations. I just think it will be interesting to see the effect Mac has on our program.
    I agree that there is a lot of fans who are not happy that Mac is leaving. I think those people will jump on board with the new coach. Some may hold the new coach to a higher standard than normally would be the case. I'm not terribly worried about the players. I heard Todd Blythe on the locker room show, and it sounds like he will be rallying the players to stay together.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know pride, the thing that Mac had with these fans that are so upset was an actual "personal" relationship and it is not just a matter of liking one guy and when the wins come going with the next. These are people that are former player's parents who have get togethers for coaches and players and are in constant contact with the ISU family. There are big donors with money that are pulling it and it is out of the same loyalty that many people fault Mac on.

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Prospect
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As far as people saying that they are not going to set foot in JTS since Mac is gone, I'd take that with a grain of salt. I remember several people, including myself, swearing to never support ISU MBB again after Bruce fired Larry. But by the time the next BB season rolled around, I was right back in my seat, cheering the team on. People are bitter, but they'll get over it. If they don't, we probably don't need them there anyway. If the new coach can produce a winning product, there will be plenty of others who will want to buy the tickets of those who are still pouting over Mac's resignation.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

Any player, fan, donor, etc who chooses to boycott the FB program due to loyalty to Mac couldn't be more misguided. The most significant legacy left by Mac was establishing groups such as the Letterman's club and making all fans and former players feel wanted and needed.

Mac can take full credit for this along with the school's first bowl victory. Most other "accomplishments" were done before and will be done again in the future - wins over Iowa & NE, bowl appearances, facility improvements, respect (Majors & Bruce wouldn't have been hired away if they hadn't built solid programs).

Anyone who believes in Mac should also believe him when he says how special Iowa State was and always will be to him. Mac may have "resigned", but he certainly didn't quit. I would hope that those who admire him would choose to follow his example.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Players like Ryan Baum have to remember that Iowa State gave them a opportunity to play D1 football in a BSC conference. He needs to realize what he is saying before he stats something like that, to me it sounds like something a Hawkeye would say!!

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

If we were worried about having a nice guy leading us, then lets hire a preacher. This is a high dollar business with a million dollar pay check. We need a guy that is going to give us the best chance to win with what we have.

I am also very annoyed by the players talking about how they rallied for Dan against Missouri and statements like Baums. If they cared that much about him then they would have showed that focus and passion all year. Then maybe he would still be coaching them and they would be getting ready for a big XII title game or a bowl game.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    also look at the Rag where Baum said that many of the seniors and other players will not set foot in JTS again now that Mac is gone.
    I've really had it with Baum.... is he just coming across all wrong to me? I see him get in Tate's face on sidelines; he is apparently running his mouth about certain things... someone please correct me on this, I'd really like to see Baum in a better light.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

You can look all you want but you will ONLY see Ryan Baum in the light that he is currently showing. I remember watching him in high school and he was a mouth back then, too. Go ahead and don't show up for any more Clone games, we can find somone else to take your place.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isu_bub View Post
    I've really had it with Baum.... is he just coming across all wrong to me? I see him get in Tate's face on sidelines; he is apparently running his mouth about certain things... someone please correct me on this, I'd really like to see Baum in a better light.
    Watch any of the replays of this years games, and you'll see Baum jawing at most opposing players.