Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

The TSA is disrupting flights

The TSA has untrained personnel checking aircraft for security breaches and the result; 40 flights are disrupted and nine planes are damaged.

Link:
    Aero-News Network: The Aviation and Aerospace World's Daily/Real-Time News and Information Service

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 581
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Re: The TSA is disrupting flights

This is my favorite snippet from this story...

TSA conducts routine spot inspections of aircraft parked at commercial airports, according to agency spokesman Elio Montenegro. "Our inspector was following routine procedure for securing the aircraft that were on the tarmac," Montenegro said, adding the inspector was attempting to determine whether someone could break into the parked planes.

Since when is it ROUTINE procedure for a TSA 'inspector' to climb up the side of a parked jet using the Total Air Temperature probes as footholds ?

No word from the TSA when 'smokin Joe' is going to check the security while a plane is being refueled.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

"And I can not tell you how frustrating it is, to see them (TSA) continue to hurt an industry that they were created to protect."

I hate to break it, but the TSA was created for many reasons but none of them were to protect anyone. From a financial and freedom standpoint, the TSA might be the most damaging and mis appropriated government program ever.

The only thing the TSA has done is....
    give the appearance of passenger control
    cause multiple airlines to go into bankruptcy
    delay flights
    increase passenger costs
    offer government jobs and benefits to a mostly minority , and an under educated workforce (not implying those two things are mutually inclusive)

The only thing the TSA should do is change their name to FUBAR. Then it would be about right.

Lifetime Achievement- In on page 1 of a THujone MS Paint thread.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 96

Quote Originally Posted by linkshero View Post
    "And I can not tell you how frustrating it is, to see them (TSA) continue to hurt an industry that they were created to protect."

I hate to break it, but the TSA was created for many reasons but none of them were to protect anyone. From a financial and freedom standpoint, the TSA might be the most damaging and mis appropriated government program ever.

delay flights
    increase passenger costs
    offer government jobs and benefits to a mostly minority , and an under educated workforce (not implying those two things are mutually inclusive)

The only thing the TSA should do is change their name to FUBAR. Then it would be about right.
    And your solution would be???

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Somebody inside the aviation community complaining about the overseers of that industry??

Shocking....

Newsflash - grocers and producers have issues with the FDA and bankers generally don't like Treasury Dept either.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 69

Quote Originally Posted by linkshero View Post

delay flights
    increase passenger costs

Umm, I think you are confusing the responsibilities of the TSA and the airlines here.

give the appearance of passenger control - well, we haven't had a plane hijacked since the TSA came to be. Any suggestions on what they can do better?

cause multiple airlines to go into bankruptcy - this couldn't be due to rising fuel prices and some poor business decisions could it? I'm thinking that is more likely than some dopey x-ray screener

delay flights - umm, how about weather? mechanical failures? overcrowded hub airports and airspace? I think those may play a bit of a role

increase passenger costs - see increased fuel prices and a reduction of flights to compensate for those prices (leading to the darn laws of supply and demand)

offer government jobs and benefits to a mostly minority , and an under educated workforce - can't argue that there do seem to be a lot of minorities working for the TSA, but do you have a problem with that? From what I've seen for the most part the TSA employees I have been around have been thourough, professional, and fairly well educated for the job they do. I've run into quite a few that were multi-lingual, which is certainly something that I can't do and I would tend to consider myself educated.

Do you have some long standing grudge with the TSA for some reason? Miss a flight or get pulled aside for one of those "special" searches?

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

aero,

fair response! I personally travel a lot, and did so before, during, and after 9/11. I have never really had any personal issues with the TSA in terms of individual employees. I mean, yes, you get the occasional problem, but that is not any different than issues you might have at the BK drive thru, movie store, or local restaurant.

I have worked in contract government, and have seen first hand what poor policy, foundation, and hiring can do to an agency. My biggest concern with the TSA is that is grew too fast, without a strong or stable foundation. It has gone unchecked for the most part, and money is spent on policies that may or may not add .5% confidence factor to a certain contingency.
    (throwing money at the problem)

There is always going to be a x% chance that something bad might happen. The idea is to spend Z$ to take it to x-y%, knowing that it will never go to 0. Based on my understanding of 9/11, most of the tactics the hijackers used would still work today, aside from the security on the plane, which isn't really what we are talking about.

In terms of who they are hiring, I'm not concerned about the people most of us interact with. Again, aside from the occasional working that is having a bad day, that is not the problem. I'm talking about the senior level appointments that were done for political reasons. Many of these people have grossly acceded their ceiling of ability (Peter Principle) Peter Principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    but poor hiring practices have negated that principle, and endangered the whole program.

Lifetime Achievement- In on page 1 of a THujone MS Paint thread.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

TSA can be summarized as a bumbling group of aviation flunkees.

Typical government operation.