Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 103

Looking at OL Depth--The Hosses

*Fair warning, no new info here, just a collection of my thoughts and impressions, based on the old two deeps from when practice started.

The Hosses

I was writing this piece, thinking about what great potential this group has, both individually and as a unit. There is a lot of potential here, more than can be seen by recruiting “stars”. I’d expect them to be good once they come together as a unit this fall (maybe very soon), and the future only looks brighter. Then, as I was sitting here, admiring that remarkable potential so prominently displayed by the younger crowd, I admiringly thought, “What a bunch of hosses”. Not a bunch of common, plodding plowhorses, these guys are really Clydesdales, Belgians, or Percherons. Then I thought, if they turn out as good as I think, what a great nickname that would be. The Redskins had the Hawgs, a former Cyclone was a founding member of the Suburbanites, so the Cyclones can have their Hosses. Not only cool, but it fits ISU as well.

Left Tackle

Doug Dedrick 6-4 301 Sr

Doug came in as a lifesaver last season, plugging a gaping hole that had been a trouble spot for several seasons. Originally recruited by Dan McCarney, once the dust settled, he recommitted to Coach Chizik. At a svelte 280 or so last season, Dougwas a reliable pass protector, but not really one for moving piles. An additional year in the weight room, not to mention twenty extra pounds, should drastically alter that situation.

Matt Hulbert 6-7 283 So

Matt was listed as the second-stringer in the first two-deeps, and reports from the Spring had him challenging for the starting position. He certainly has a better frame and more reach than Dedrick, but a combine 5.79 40 time as a prep has me wary—slow footed blindside pass protectors bring back some haunting memories. Technique is one thing, but if you’re lagging behind the pass rusher, all the technique in the world will do you no good whatsoever.

Left Guard

Kelechi Osemele 6-5 330 RFR

It was with a little bit of surprise that I saw Kelechi listed on the left side when two deeps were released, after all, that’s not usually where you put your most imposing guard. Perhaps there are some positional moves yet to be made that we just haven’t seen yet. However, people have been saying good things about him for quite a while, so I’ll happily sit back and watch him develop over the next four seasons.

Reggie Stephens 6-4 300 Jr

This is one guy that I’m really pulling for. He started all last season, and with all of the new talent, the coaching staff obviously intended to challenge him to greater heights. Signing not only out of a smaller high school, but as a sixteen year old, I’ve always felt that Reggie had not only a great deal of growth to do, but a great deal of growth potential. He’s a smart guy, and I’ll watch interestedly to see what happens over the next two years.

Center

Mike Knapp 6-3 272 JR

I’m not sure whether Mike counts as a “feel good” story or not, though he certainly is a guy with the right talent at the right time. It seems that the staff really wants a center who can pull and lead block, and while undersized, Mike certainly has the quick feet they’re looking for. He also managed to put on six pounds over the summer, so we’ll hope that by his senior year, he’ll see a Dedrick-like revolution.

Alex Alvarez 6-2 292 So

Coming off a redshirt, Alex is one of the young guns who knocked the returning starter to another position. Beyond that, which is certainly enough, all I can say about him is that he’s one of several juco freshmen that Coach Chizik has identified, signed and redshirted, expecting that they’ll have a better opportunity to contribute in the long run. A good plan, I have to say.

Right Guard

Ben Lamaak 6-5 305 So

Watching video from high school, I was most impressed with Ben’s balance, body control and hand-eye coordination. A jack-of-all-trades as a prep and originally a tight end, what I’ve been most concerned about over the past two years was that he build not only size, but strength. After all, balance and hand-eye are important qualities in a lineman, but so are strength, explosion and leverage. Though he started as a redshirt freshman last season, I think it’s now that we begin to see the player that Ben Lamaak can truly be.

Brandon Johnson 6-2 305 Sr

The lone fifth year senior of the group, Brandon was last season’s starting center. A barroom brawler at the position, the staff apparently wanted someone quicker, and thus his move to guard. He also started the Spring game at right tackle, which as much as anything, I’m starting to believe was a message to Trey Baysinger. In all, Brandon is truly being a team player, and with all of the young players emerging, his leadership is invaluable.

Right Tackle

Hayworth Hicks 6-3 330 So

I knew about Hayworth’s signing, especially with his dad dropping by cyclonefanatic, but I certainly didn’t expect to see him atop the first depth chart released—on it would have been enough of a surprise. A powerful road grader (IIRC, his dad said he should have named him “Highway”), his frame suggested that he might play right guard or center, but I’m certainly not complaining. Truthfully, Hayworth is big, strong and powerful, but coming out of juco, I have a hard time believing he still couldn’t benefit from a redshirt. But maybe I’m just greedy—wanting him around another season, in the long run. Being in the same ’11 senior class as Kelechi, Trey and Scott seems like a good thing.

Trey Baysinger 6-6 315 RFR

I have been immensely impressed with Trey every time I’ve seen him, either on tape, photos or in person—he simply looks like what you want a tackle to be. Tall, athletic, and without a trace of the beach ball gut some recent members of rather disappointing lines have evinced. However, with first Johnson starting ahead of him in the Spring Game, and now raw newcomer Hicks listed ahead of him entering two-a-days, I have to wonder if the staff isn’t trying to send Trey a message. And given the commonality of both Johnson and Hicks, that would seem to mean that Trey needs to be more physical. After all, it certainly doesn’t appear to me that Trey doesn’t have the physical tools for the position.

Wild Card

Scott Haughton 6-4 335 Fr

I thought that Scott was one of the premier signees of this past class, and it’s with an immense sigh of relief that I note that he seems to have qualified (tune in next week). Coach Chizik also seems to feel that he has a good chance of playing this Fall, which leads to an observation.

One of the things that Coach McCarney did that I just hated was that occasionally he would blow a freshman’s redshirt season on a handful of meaningless plays in non crucial, or even mop up situations. These were usually guys who did start the next season, which always left me to wonder just how good they would have been with a fifth season of eligibility. After all, that additional year of strength and conditioning, at the very least, can mean a great deal.

As I see it, there are two legitimate reasons for Scott Haughton to be on the field this fall—essentially forfeiting any chance of playing in the ’12 season. First, that he is physically and mentally ready to play, he can make a solid contribution that someone else on the team not blowing a redshirt couldn’t make equally as well. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, to demonstrate to his touted former high school teammates, current recruits, that playing time is available in Cyclone Country as a freshman—so they should come along as well.

The one hesitation that I have about Scott is that on signing day, I saw a svelte, sculpted 6-4 310 pounder with an amazing physique. Now he’s listed as 6-4 335, so where did that extra twenty-five pounds come from? I hope it’s not just puppy fat.

That said (with a smile), not having seen the two deeps, I’d appreciate if someone who has seen workouts or knows someone could tell me where across the lineScott has been working out. Left tackle? Right Guard? Center? I suppose we’ll all find out eventually, but it would be nice to know.

Future Hosses

Joe Klerekoper OL 6-5 277

We have heard so entirely nothing of the third of the ’07 offensive line signees that I wonder if he’s been injured. Sure, we lured him away from UTEP, so I have to figure that he’ll be a contributor at some time in his career.

Carter Bykowski TE 6-8 254

Yes, I know that he’s doing quite well catching the ball through two-a-days thus far. On the other hand, I don’t anticipate this team being quite so short handed at tight end a year from now, and Carter may well have done a “Lamaak” by the time Spring ball rolls around. That, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with how he might look as a 6-8 320 pound tackle. Either way, hopefully Carter (as well as the other frosh) has the benefit of extended practices that a bowl game offers.

Brayden Burris OL 6-6 263

The flip side of the frosh potential tackle duo, Brayden reported to camp a bit shorter than advertised, but also heavier. Hopefully that’s all good weight. If he (as well as the rest of us) is fortunate and works hard, I’d expect him to make an impact on the two deep next year as a redshirt, with some more position shuffling going on.

Ethan Tuftee OL 6-4 285

Ethan is the odd man out in the bunch, since he’s back home rehabbing a knee injury. He’ll enroll for Spring term, which will hopefully be good news, since the Cyclones have a need for a future center somewhere along the line—and perhaps Ethan can fill that role.

Kyle Lichtenberg OL 6-6 245

Here’s another bright spot. If you ask me who the starting left tackle will be circa 2011, I’d have to say that the odds on favorite would be Kyle. Of course, if his feet are as quick as advertised, he could also be the aforementioned center—or a standout guard.

Conor Boffelli TE 6-5 245

Not sayin’ nothin’, just another maybe—one which Conor himself has acknowledged. That said, he might be another eventual candidate at left tackle, center, or perhaps more likely, guard.

James Carpenter 6-5 305

This one is more wish than reality at the moment, for James is the one of the four ’07 high school signees who slipped away to a juco. One thing is for certain, it decidedly seems that he’d lock down that left tackle slot that Doug Dedrick is about to leave vacant. Likely a December grad (and thus January enrollee) as well.

Recruiting Hosses
    As mentioned, left tackle seems to be an immediate need, hopefully covered by a tag-team of Carpenter and Lichtenberg. Beyond that, of course, a future center, and maybe a guard. I have to admit that I’m less concerned right now with “stars” than I am with a player’s base athleticism and long term potential. Immediate impact (aside from left tackle) isn’t what is needed, even a center would seem to have a year to redshirt. Sign good athletes with good frames and long arms, get them into the weight room, let them fill out and add strength—and coach the heck out of ’em.

Last edited by Aclone; 08-19-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Just curious

[quote=Aclone;585556]

Left Guard

It was with a little bit of surprise that I saw Kelechi listed on the left side when two deeps were released, after all, that’s not usually where you put your most imposing guard. Perhaps there are some positional moves yet to be made that we just haven’t seen yet. However, people have been saying good things about him for quite a while, so I’ll happily sit back and watch him develop over the next four seasons.

Why is the right guard more imposing than the left guard? Do teams generally run more to the right?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by ISUguy View Post

Why is the right guard more imposing than the left guard? Do teams generally run more to the right?
    As the left side is usually the quarterback's blind side, generally the quicker, more athletic tackle is on the left--which would translate somewhat to left guard as well. But the more powerful guard is also generally on the right because it's generally considered the "strongside", where the tight end lines up, and the center and/or left guard pull to add another blocker on rushing plays.

I'm sure some of you players/coaches out there can explain it better than me...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 177

[quote=ISUguy;585566]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post

Left Guard

I was going to say you would put your most imposing guard on the side of the line that would be protecting the QB's back when he goes back to pass, but then I realized that would be more important for tackles and not necessarily guards.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 15

[quote=jdoggivjc;585576]

I was going to say you would put your most imposing guard on the side of the line that would be protecting the QB's back when he goes back to pass, but then I realized that would be more important for tackles and not necessarily guards.

Protecting the QB's blindside is about quickness. I think he was more getting at having your quicker guard (Lamaak) on the left to help protect against the pass rush, with your road grader (KO) on the right to pave the way for the run. From what it sounds like though, KO is quick enough to handle the job.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

[quote=jdoggivjc;585576]

By "most imposing" I just meant "biggest", not necessarily most talented, intimidating, or accomplished. Not to say that Kelechi isn't (or won't be) any of those...

And of course, right now Reggie Stephens seems to be running with the ones.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Looking at OL Depth--The Hosses

This was a good read, I enjoyed it, especially not knowing a whole lot about the OL situation. You're dead on that we have a lot of fresh meat pushing last year's starters and vying for a starting job. (Awesome situation to have)!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10

Don't forget about Drew Davis, a walkon freshman from Dubuque. I really have no idea what kind of skills this kid has, but at 6-9 and 330lbs, he's got a huge frame for Shep to mold into a monster of an o-lineman.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    Don't forget about Drew Davis, a walkon freshman from Dubuque. I really have no idea what kind of skills this kid has, but at 6-9 and 330lbs, he's got a huge frame for Shep to mold into a monster of an o-lineman.
    every time i look at the roster and see his size, i just want some magic to give him the skills to hit the depth chart. I wonder what the story is there, anyone know?

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson10 View Post
    every time i look at the roster and see his size, i just want some magic to give him the skills to hit the depth chart. I wonder what the story is there, anyone know?
    My guess is that a lot of that 330 lbs isn't muscle - yet. A year in the weightroom with Coach Shep should help that out.

This might be a dumb question, but can walkons take a redshirt year, or does that only apply to scholarship players? So if this kid doesn't play this year (virtual certainty) does he lose a year of eligibility because he can't redshirt? TIA

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    My guess is that a lot of that 330 lbs isn't muscle - yet. A year in the weightroom with Coach Shep should help that out.

This might be a dumb question, but can walkons take a redshirt year, or does that only apply to scholarship players? So if this kid doesn't play this year (virtual certainty) does he lose a year of eligibility because he can't redshirt? TIA
    yes, walk-ons can redshirt

--------------------------------------
    “Max Power—he's the man whose name you'd love to touch...
    But, you musn't touch!
    His name sounds good in your ear
    But when you say it, you mustn't fear
    Because his name can be said by anyone!”

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I really want to see the staff sign James Carpenter again. Seeing as he would start at left tackle next season. He is a Juco All-American with the likes of Florida, Oklahoma and Tennessee havin looking at him in the recent months.

Starter
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wheels686 View Post
    I really want to see the staff sign James Carpenter again. Seeing as he would start at left tackle next season. He is a Juco All-American with the likes of Florida, Oklahoma and Tennessee havin looking at him in the recent months.
    If nothing else, Carpenter's recruitment proves that this staff can spot good OL talent.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post
    If nothing else, Carpenter's recruitment proves that this staff can spot good talent.
    There. I fixed that for ya.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I was really hoping someone knew what position Scott Haughton's been working out at. Is he the one pushing Dedrick, or is he at right guard?