Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 729,862, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,431
    Points
    729,862
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,287
    Given: 631

    Pacific Northwest vacation

    My wife and I are planning a vacation for next summer so that we can take my son to see the ocean. We are looking to stay somewhere right on the beach, somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. Just wondering if anyone knows a good spot to go that would be interesting for an 11 year old. Thanks!



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 146,976, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,187
    Points
    146,976
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Pacific Northwest vacation

    I've been along the coast pretty much from the Olympic Peninsula in Washington, to midway down the Oregon coast, and Cannon Beach was my favorite by far. The rock formations in the water are pretty recognizable from movies, including Goonies.

    Cannon Beach Chamber and Information Center (503) 436-2623



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 213,047, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,632
    Points
    213,047
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 311

    Re: Pacific Northwest vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    My wife and I are planning a vacation for next summer so that we can take my son to see the ocean. We are looking to stay somewhere right on the beach, somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. Just wondering if anyone knows a good spot to go that would be interesting for an 11 year old. Thanks!
    There is some great ocean front camping along the coast of Washington toward Canada. My bro lives on the Olympic Peninsula, I took a trip out there like 3 years ago where we camped in a couple places along the ocean before hitting the mountains. Camping was great but primitive, I am not sure what you are looking for exactly but their is great scenery and alot to see all up that coast. Definitely one of my favorite places in the country that I have been to.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 729,862, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,431
    Points
    729,862
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,287
    Given: 631

    Re: Pacific Northwest vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleClone View Post
    I've been along the coast pretty much from the Olympic Peninsula in Washington, to midway down the Oregon coast, and Cannon Beach was my favorite by far. The rock formations in the water are pretty recognizable from movies, including Goonies.

    Cannon Beach Chamber and Information Center (503) 436-2623
    That looks promising, I'll have to run that by my wife. My son would love the Goonies connection.

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    There is some great ocean front camping along the coast of Washington toward Canada. My bro lives on the Olympic Peninsula, I took a trip out there like 3 years ago where we camped in a couple places along the ocean before hitting the mountains. Camping was great but primitive, I am not sure what you are looking for exactly but their is great scenery and alot to see all up that coast. Definitely one of my favorite places in the country that I have been to.

    My wife doesn't get along too well with primitive. We're thinking beach front with amenities.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 58,389, Level: 74
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    2,445
    Points
    58,389
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 0

    Re: Pacific Northwest vacation

    Cannon Beach is great for the older yuppie crowd.... Maybe Seaside (WA) would be more appealing to an 11 year-old. Cannon Beach has the galleries and volvos driving around. also Haystack Rock which is VERY cool, but Seaside seems to cater more towards families and the younger set. Both are nice though.



  6. #6
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,245, Level: 25
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    st8phan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    252
    Points
    7,245
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Pacific Northwest vacation

    Cannon Beach is awesome!! Nice thing is Seaside is about 15 min. north from there. There's TONS of scenic spots all along that coast and Astoria (more Goonies action) is pretty cool. That whole area is just amazing! My wife and I vacationed there the past two years but went east this year instead. You can drive about 45 miles south to Tillamook. There's plenty to do/see around there. Can't go wrong with Oregon...



  7. #7
    Recruit
    Points: 5,914, Level: 22
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    ISUinOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    102
    Points
    5,914
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Pacific Northwest vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneCY View Post
    Cannon Beach is great for the older yuppie crowd.... Maybe Seaside (WA) would be more appealing to an 11 year-old. Cannon Beach has the galleries and volvos driving around. also Haystack Rock which is VERY cool, but Seaside seems to cater more towards families and the younger set. Both are nice though.
    Stay in Cannon Beach for the amazing scenery - more relaxed, artsy, less commercialized, more "romantic" AND Goonie-like.

    But drive the 5-7 miles north to Seaside and spend some time on the boardwalk, bumper cars, and having fun doing the "Griswold family fun" stuff. It's more congested and carnival-like than Cannon Beach.

    No matter what, you can't go wrong with a trip to the Oregon coast.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 39,282, Level: 61
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,973
    Points
    39,282
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 15

    Re: Pacific Northwest vacation

    Our daughter and SIL went to Portland, etc. on their honeymoon last fall. Here's her suggestion:

    We took a day trip from Portland to the Oregon coast, visiting Newport and Waldport. Of the two, Newport would be more exciting for kids. There's beach access, restaurants, ice cream/candy shops, touristy shops, the Oregon Coast Aquarium, and (our favorite) sea lions sunning themselves on docks in the harbor. Waldport had a neat tourist info. center with exhibits about the nearby historic bridge, and the drive along the coast was full of great scenery.

    Another day's adventure was heading to the "end of the Oregon Trail" in Oregon City (a highlight for those of us who grew up playing the computer game) and then back to Portland to spend the afternoon at the zoo. If staying at the beach, it might be worth taking a day trip to Portland (about 2 hours one way from Newport) to hit the zoo and maybe some of the museums (museum of science and industry, children's museum).



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 146,976, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,187
    Points
    146,976
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Pacific Northwest vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms3r4ISU View Post
    Another day's adventure was heading to the "end of the Oregon Trail" in Oregon City (a highlight for those of us who grew up playing the computer game) and then back to Portland to spend the afternoon at the zoo. If staying at the beach, it might be worth taking a day trip to Portland (about 2 hours one way from Newport) to hit the zoo and maybe some of the museums (museum of science and industry, children's museum).
    That raises an excellent point- if you're heading to Oregon, make sure you're all up to date on your vaccinations. You wouldn't want to get dysentery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dysentery.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	2883  



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 729,862, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,431
    Points
    729,862
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,287
    Given: 631

    Re: Pacific Northwest vacation

    I appreciate all the input. From what I can gather, coastal areas in Oregon average in the 70's during the summer. Is that right? We're wondering if it will be too cold to swim?



  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 9,988, Level: 30
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CYCLONE STATE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    533
    Points
    9,988
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Pacific Northwest vacation

    We stayed at Bella Beach in Oregon this summer for a week. Very relaxing vacation. Average high about 70 but it feels colder on the beach. Most people wear jeans with sweatshirt/coat. Very few swimmers. Here's where we stayed Dolce Vita - Oregon Coast Vacation Rentals - Bella Beach



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 86,763, Level: 91
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,107
    Points
    86,763
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

    Re: Pacific Northwest vacation

    Just curious why folks want to go to cold beaches? My idea of a beach vacation is Maui or Jamaica. If I want cold, I go for a ski trip in Colorado.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,433, Level: 63
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 517
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,673
    Points
    42,433
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 13

    Re: Pacific Northwest vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Just curious why folks want to go to cold beaches? My idea of a beach vacation is Maui or Jamaica. If I want cold, I go for a ski trip in Colorado.
    I'll take a day in the 70's over one in the 90's anytime. There are any number of activities that are both more enjoyable and healthier to me than baking in the sun and swimming in the ocean.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: Pacific Northwest vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I appreciate all the input. From what I can gather, coastal areas in Oregon average in the 70's during the summer. Is that right? We're wondering if it will be too cold to swim?
    Even if you hit a freak day where the temperature is in the 80s the ocean water temperature will turn your skin blue unless you are wearing a wet suit.


    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 166,400, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    jaretac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Frigidaire
    Posts
    7,635
    Points
    166,400
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Pacific Northwest vacation

    I have two suggestions:
    1) take a detour through Mt Rainier on your way to the Olympic Peninsula. We stayed at Pacific Beach, Washington once and it was good. They have a nice beach and it's not too far away from Olympic NP.

    2) swing though my hometown and take the North Cross hwy though North Cascades NP. Then you can stay near the San Juan Islands. I've been all over the western US and I think that the North Cascades is the most beautiful spot in the lower 48.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM