Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Why winning FB is so critical for ISU...

Based upon comments posted on this site, I believe we have a significant portion of our fanbase that really does not understand how vitally important having a successful FB program is to the entire university. A successful MBB program is nice but it will not replace what a successful FB program can provide.

I strongly encourage all of you to read the article entitled "The Most Powerful Coach in Sports" in the 9/1/08 edition of Forbes magazine. The article is about Nick Saban and Alabama but it really details what a successful FB program brings to the university. Some nuggets from the article:

"Bigger TV contracts and bowl game payouts helped push revenues for the Division IA colleges to $2 billion, up 25% in four years."

"Alabama's football program had $54 million in revenue this past year and an estimated $32 million profit. The profit is used to pay off the athletic department's $130 million debt for capital improvements. Football finances 77% of the athletic department, bankrolling nonrevenue sports like swimming and softball. It has also kicked back millions of dollars to university academic programs."

"But the economics of hiring Saban go well beyond athletics. The decidedly pro-football University of Alabama's president, Robert Witt, points to the school's recent $500 million capital campaign as an example. "We had 100,000 donors in that campaign, and a major reason they support us is football," he says. It's no different at any other college with a football team. Why do Ivy League schools even bother to field teams that are never going to win a bowl game? It keeps the alumni money flowing. That's how you pay for the English department."

"It comes from athletic department revenue, which consists of broadcasting fees, ad sponsorships, donations from "boosters" (alums who give to football, not the university's general fund), ticket sales, and shoe and apparel endorsements."

"Saban says he can't control the lofty expectations, but "I wouldn't want to coach anyplace where they didn't expect to win.""

I became a big Saban fan while he was at LSU and the article also gives you a look at how he runs his program (what he is doing at Alabama is no different than what he did at LSU) but this article really discusses the "big business" aspect of the sport...which I think some in our fanbase either fail to grasp or want to ignore.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 355

Re: Why winning FB is so critical for ISU...

I am all for more wins. Still the rankings are mystifying when the Milwauke School of Engineering is the worst.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Wow the only two schools I got into (and applied to)...MSOE and Iowa State. This is a proud day for me.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 9

I lost pretty much all respect for Saban when he left the Dolphins after saying he wasn't. He's a fraud, a liar, and completely lacks any sort of character whatsoever.

That being said, a healthy football program at a D1A school is essential for the health of the athletic department. Football is the biggest thing and anything else will be a distant second.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Hey Numone, you 're off-base. How do you account for the fact that every new fan suite at Jack Trice is leased in advance and pulling big money into the program? Cyclone fans and Cyclone donors are doing the job. And by the way, ISU has reeled in more than $600 million in a $800 million fund campaign that won't end until 2010. Things are happening at Ames and athletic facilities are shining bright. Relax and make your own donation to the cause.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 8

Forbes blows.

Prospect
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 452
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

How can you say ISU is doing their job when we have the smallest athletic budget in the Big 12??

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

the only reason alabama has success belongs to a fellow
    named"BEAR"!!!!!!

doc

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    Hey Numone, you 're off-base. How do you account for the fact that every new fan suite at Jack Trice is leased in advance and pulling big money into the program? Cyclone fans and Cyclone donors are doing the job. And by the way, ISU has reeled in more than $600 million in a $800 million fund campaign that won't end until 2010. Things are happening at Ames and athletic facilities are shining bright. Relax and make your own donation to the cause.
    Actually, I'm not. If our fanbase is "doing the job" then why are we on the bottom of the Big 12 in terms of athletic department budgets? Why will there be empty seats in our FB stadium this year? I don't recall what our suites are going for but I do know that my knowledge of what they go for at other schools is $50,000 -$80,000 per year with a 5 year up front commitment plus then you have to buy your tickets...is that how ours work?

I assume you are talking about the With Pride and Purpose campaign. Just think what might be possible if we actually had some really competitive athletic teams (I'm talking the high profile ones here...FB and MBB).

It's clear in today's world that athletics are like the marketing department of the university. If you have top-notch athletic teams the quantity and quality of the applications for your school goes up and the alumni / donors dig deeper into their pocketbooks for all university related matters that need funded.

Lastly, I am plenty relaxed and quite generous with my alma mater. The last I read the With Pride and Purpose campaign was at $590 million...did you just donate $15 or $20 million to put us over $600 million?

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    Actually, I'm not. If our fanbase is "doing the job" then why are we on the bottom of the Big 12 in terms of athletic department budgets? Why will there be empty seats in our FB stadium this year? I don't recall what our suites are going for but I do know that my knowledge of what they go for at other schools is $50,000 -$80,000 per year with a 5 year up front commitment plus then you have to buy your tickets...is that how ours work?

I assume you are talking about the With Pride and Purpose campaign. Just think what might be possible if we actually had some really competitive athletic teams (I'm talking the high profile ones here...FB and MBB).

It's clear in today's world that athletics are like the marketing department of the university. If you have top-notch athletic teams the quantity and quality of the applications for your school goes up and the alumni / donors dig deeper into their pocketbooks for all university related matters that need funded.

Lastly, I am plenty relaxed and quite generous with my alma mater. The last I read the With Pride and Purpose campaign was at $590 million...did you just donate $15 or $20 million to put us over $600 million?
    $600 million sounds likea lot but compared with many other schools it is average at best. For example Mizzou is in the final year of a $1 billion campaign and KU has completed a $650 million campaign allready.

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 16

Wins will always help boost an athletic department... our AD has helped get the right idea in the minds of the school's higher ups... but now we need at least a few decent winning seasons.... MBB or FB... we need them, and we need them soon.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 59

im glad cyclonenum1 shed light to this. im sure there are some that agree and understand, but mnay that dont. some of which are posting in this thread and ripping on him. well go ahead and rip on me too because i agree 100% with the original post.

Husker Hater

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 906
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 62

I agree 100% with the original post. A wonderful side-effect of the healthy athletic department is that it pays for not only non-revenue sports, but supplies financial support non-revenue academic departments (i.e. the entire liberal arts college).

"I think that people are responding to someone standing up and saying this is what we want to do and let's not be afraid to go for it,'' Pollard said. "I think Iowa State has a very conservative, modest background. We never pound our chest and say `Let's do it.' It's OK to set a goal. You can't do it if you don't say what you want to do. You should be proud of it.''

Jamie Pollard, 6/2/2006