Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    DMBclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    290
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    Make the world a better place, punch a hawkeye in the face

    Colorado coach Gary Barnett "I thought we had a pretty good mascot. But when we showed up at Iowa State and they had a real tornado, that's the real deal." November 12, 2005



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    It's pretty accurate on all accounts...not sure there is much to say.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 118,242, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    aeroclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,028
    Points
    118,242
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 82

    Re: The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    Hmm, our state's highes paid employee is also the most overpaid coach in college football based on his on the field results. And there are hawk fans convinced that ISU fans want to get kirk fired? Seriously? What more could you ask for for your rival school than a coach who drains the bank account in exchange for a .500 team every year?



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 263,257, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,472
    Points
    263,257
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 628

    Re: The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Hmm, our state's highes paid employee is also the most overpaid coach in college football based on his on the field results. And there are hawk fans convinced that ISU fans want to get kirk fired? Seriously? What more could you ask for for your rival school than a coach who drains the bank account in exchange for a .500 team every year?
    The best part about it is that Kirk actually thinks he is worth the money he is getting paid despite the results he is producing. Wait... the best part is that the administration thinks he is worth what he is getting paid despite the results he is producing. Hang on... let me try this one more time. The best part about it is that Hawk fans think he is worth it despite the results he is producing.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 118,242, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    aeroclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,028
    Points
    118,242
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 82

    Re: The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    The best part about it is that Kirk actually thinks he is worth the money he is getting paid despite the results he is producing. Wait... the best part is that the administration thinks he is worth what he is getting paid despite the results he is producing. Hang on... let me try this one more time. The best part about it is that Hawk fans think he is worth it despite the results he is producing.
    Wow, I think I was following you right until the end there. What is this hawk fan thinking you talk about? I have heard of such a thing, but I've never actually seen proof that it exists.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 154,627, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,477
    Points
    154,627
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 26

    Re: The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Hmm, our state's highes paid employee is also the most overpaid coach in college football based on his on the field results. And there are hawk fans convinced that ISU fans want to get kirk fired? Seriously? What more could you ask for for your rival school than a coach who drains the bank account in exchange for a .500 team every year?
    Right on.

    Don't forget about his record against us. I've said it for years, we DO NOT want EIU to get rid of Ferentz.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 47,456, Level: 67
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 894
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    DJK15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,704
    Points
    47,456
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    I agree with that entire article.

    IMO, this season will be Ferentz's last "freebie." Another disappointing season and he will be shown the door or forced to replace his staff.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 479,825, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,140
    Points
    479,825
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 731
    Given: 489

    Re: The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    The thing I find outstanding is Pete Carroll is the 3rd or 4th most underpaid coach, yet he is making the most coin in the NCAA. Talk about a guy that's getting the job done...


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 479,825, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,140
    Points
    479,825
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 731
    Given: 489

    Re: The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15 View Post
    I agree with that entire article.

    IMO, this season will be Ferentz's last "freebie." Another disappointing season and he will be shown the door or forced to replace his staff.
    I think you meant to say that last season was his last freebie, if this year's results may or may not cause a change at some or all levels of the football program.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 14,693, Level: 36
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mramseyISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, IA
    Posts
    1,019
    Points
    14,693
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

    Re: The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The thing I find outstanding is Pete Carroll is the 3rd or 4th most underpaid coach, yet he is making the most coin in the NCAA. Talk about a guy that's getting the job done...
    I was thinking the same thing. I didn't know he was the highest paid coach out there before reading it but I figured he was in the top 10.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    Quote Originally Posted by mramseyISU View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I didn't know he was the highest paid coach out there before reading it but I figured he was in the top 10.

    SC is a private school with a lot of very wealthy alums and supporters...there is some serious money in LA.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 118,242, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    aeroclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,028
    Points
    118,242
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 82

    Re: The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15 View Post
    I agree with that entire article.

    IMO, this season will be Ferentz's last "freebie." Another disappointing season and he will be shown the door or forced to replace his staff.
    I'm not sure I really get this perspective, and it seems that a lot of Iowa fans have it. Considering the level of expectations that hawk fans have, the amount of money kf is getting paid, and the fact that he has been at the school for what like 10 years, he has already had 3 years of basically .500 football and you want to tell me if he has one more then the pressure will be on in the next year? I just don't see how fans with such lofty expectations are willing to give him such a long leash. 4 years of mediocre football isn't a little blip, that is a well established trend. One that I certainly wouldn't bet on reversing when Michigan and OSU come back on the schedule in a couple years.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    I'm not sure I really get this perspective, and it seems that a lot of Iowa fans have it. Considering the level of expectations that hawk fans have, the amount of money kf is getting paid, and the fact that he has been at the school for what like 10 years, he has already had 3 years of basically .500 football and you want to tell me if he has one more then the pressure will be on in the next year? I just don't see how fans with such lofty expectations are willing to give him such a long leash. 4 years of mediocre football isn't a little blip, that is a well established trend. One that I certainly wouldn't bet on reversing when Michigan and OSU come back on the schedule in a couple years.
    I concur with this post. If you look at the entire Ferentz HC record you can do nothing but draw the conclusion that he is a mediocre coach (at best). Clearly, the two or three good years they had in the early part of this decade were an anomoly.

    This is one reason I have always gotten a good laugh when the talk of Ferentz leaving for greener pastures (U of Michigan, Steelers, etc.) starts coming out of Iowa City. You have to truly be delusional to believe that Ferentz is a highly sought after coach outside of Iowa City.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 47,456, Level: 67
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 894
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    DJK15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,704
    Points
    47,456
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I think you meant to say that last season was his last freebie, if this year's results may or may not cause a change at some or all levels of the football program.
    Yep, I worded that totally wrong. That's what I meant though.



  15. #15
    Rookie
    Points: 10,269, Level: 30
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Klonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    369
    Points
    10,269
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

    Would be interesting to know how well SC could do following the rules. The Reggie Bush/Leinhart money deals keep getting over-looked by the NCAA.

    How deep does that run? Heck, lots of kids would love to go there with the perfect weather and eye candy.

    I think he is a great coach, however, seems that the rules don't apply to him/USC.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM