Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 12

A new problem with wind turbines ?

Did anyone see this hit piece on wind turbines that ran a few days ago on the OregonLive website ?

Wind whips up health fears - OregonLive.com

Now what are we going to use for Alternative energy if wind turbines cause health issues ?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,152
    Given: 224

Re: A new problem with wind turbines ?

Story County is in the process of having a 100 turbine wind farm constructed between Zearing and Colo, and is in the process of approving part of another 100 turbine wind farm, which will bring a total of approximately 130 wind turbines to Northeast Story County.

Through the approval process at the County level, we saw so many studies showing health concerns similar to the ones shown here, we even were given a study showing turbines can cause epileptic seizures from a shadow flicker caused by the turbine interfering with the direct path of sunlight.

To no surprise, there are also as many, if not more, studies that show wind turbines do not cause any health concerns at all, with just as many studies and statistics to back it up.

Last edited by chuckd4735; 08-14-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by matmann22 View Post
    Did anyone see this hit piece on wind turbines that ran a few days ago on the OregonLive website ?

Wind whips up health fears - OregonLive.com

Now what are we going to use for Alternative energy if wind turbines cause health issues ?
    Better turbines that don't cause the health issues. Wind turbines at least 2 miles from populations. Ocean current turbines.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ~ George Carlin

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life:
    The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves Orcs. ~ John Rogers

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121

They may as well skip a few steps and just say that wind causes cancer. Everything else does.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    They may as well skip a few steps and just say that wind causes cancer. Everything else does.
    And don't forget that everything doesn't cause cancer too.

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 601

How far away can you hear these things?

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 8

Its called the placebo effect. You tell these people that living near a wind turbine causes headaches and suddenly they have headaches. I think it is a bunch of you know what. Believe you what you want, but wind turbines create clean power.

Move next to a coal burning power plant and i am sure there is study that shows that causes headaches also.

I have realized that some people always need to be complaining about something. I avoid people like that. I am an optimist and I try not to waste my time on that like a just did with this post.

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 67

i think solar panels cause skin cancer, because they need light from the sun, and if you're standing by a panel you are in the sun.

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 59

We have 250 turbines within a 15 minute drive of us. The only complaints I have heard from land owners with the turbines have concerned the noise and the shadows. While the noise is far from loud, it is consistent and I imagine that like living near a rail yard, you would come to no longer notice the noise. However initially some people complained about it. The shadows however seem to illicit the most complaints from those who I've talked to. Depending the time of day, the shadows can be so annoying with the flickering that the homeowners are forced to keep their shades shut at those times. A hindrance at most, but an intrusion none the less.

From an outsider though, I think they are impressive looking, like mythical giants overlooking the countryside.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

This is NIMBYism at its worst. If you want to ever make something controversial or stir public doubt about a solution the best way is to tie a medical problem with it.

After reading these articles it seems that most of these people were against wind turbines from the beginning, and developed these medical problems as a justification for their angst.

I'll agree that they are an eyesore. Our rural landscapes could very possibly be changed forever, and that is unfortunate. However wind and nuclear energy are our two most pragmatic solutions to our energy problems. There is never a perfect solution, but wind energy is clearly one of the best when taking benefits to drawbacks.

These anti-wind, anti-ethanol, anti-nuclear zealots should turn in their car keys and laptops for a horse and chalk board or shut up.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 103

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    This is NIMBYism at its worst. If you want to ever make something controversial or stir public doubt about a solution the best way is to tie a medical problem with it.

After reading these articles it seems that most of these people were against wind turbines from the beginning, and developed these medical problems as a justification for their angst.

I'll agree that they are an eyesore. Our rural landscapes could very possibly be changed forever, and that is unfortunate. However wind and nuclear energy are our two most pragmatic solutions to our energy problems. There is never a perfect solution, but wind energy is clearly one of the best when taking benefits to drawbacks.

These anti-wind, anti-ethanol, anti-nuclear zealots should turn in their car keys and laptops for a horse and chalk board or shut up.
    Funny thing is, a lot of this people are among those that are beating the global warming drum the loudest. We can't burn fossil fuels because of greenhouse gasses, we can't have nuclear because of the danger and the waster. First off it was the wind turbines killing the condors, now they cause headaches! I agree that we should try to build them in isolated areas whenever possible as they can ruin some natural beauty, but seriously, how about instead of just complaining about this stuff these people tell us how they think we should address our energy needs.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,460
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 5

What are they going to do with all that crap littering the country side when 10 years from now scientists have a new, more efficient way to provide our energy needs?

That is my concern, these things are all the rage, but there are many more effecient energy production forms coming on line out there.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 649
    Given: 1,313

okay... a conversation with my dad during our long car trip to Door County.

How long are the blades? How long does it take to make one revolution (seconds). Then figuring out how fast they move at the tip.

2 Pie r squared for distance. find ft/sec. convert to miles/sec. times 60 times 60 = mph. correct?

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    How many people are anti- all of these things (other than the Amish)? Can't someone be anti-wind but pro-hydro or pro-solar, anti-nuclear but pro-wind, anti-ethanol but pro-natural gas. I think you'll be hard-pressed to find someone that is anti- all forms of energy creation.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ~ George Carlin

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life:
    The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves Orcs. ~ John Rogers

Starter
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 12

Personally, I 'liked' the scientific study of 10 families.

I'm not a scientist by trade, but isn't 10 too small of a sample to gain much insight ?

For the record, I'm not against windmills, nuclear, solar or any other source of energy that isn't susidized to death.

I hadn't seen much of this particular argument floating around. The downside I kept seeing about Windmills was; killing birds and the wind doesn't always blow.

Should we conserve when and where it makes sense to ? yes. Should we have multiple sources of affordable energy? yes. Is wind part of the answer ? For windy states like Iowa, Yes.

Solar is probably the longterm answer but anyone who has solar landscape lighting can attest, the sun in January in Iowa is not going to cut it.