Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Deace & Millers Top Choice

Apparently last night on Cy Hawk talk (mediacom show) Deace and Miller both had Brian Kelly as their top choice. The think he's the real deal. Just interesting.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 623
    Given: 393

Re: Deace & Millers Top Choice

Brian Kelly does not start my engine. We need some pzzazz to get recruits to Ames and the alumni to start tailagting again. Central Michigan is not texas and probably harder to recruit to than Ames. The MAC is the MAC. They will nver be more than the MAC. They are not like the MVC in status. They play Thursday night fog games and mud bowls. I believe a lot of people would be disappointed to come to Ames the first season. Rebuild would take four to five years for Kelly to build up his pluses in Ames. The reason we get many of our recruits is the kids get to play against their high school buddies in Big 12. Did you look at the roster for Central Michigan in the Balkans and where their kids are from? This is not a match IMO.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 240

Yeah, Deace went on a tirade about Harbaugh on CN.

Ya know, I don't know who the best guy is, yet I'm growing tired of the "AD-wanna-be's" like Deace. You can discuss it, have an opinion, etc. But to be quite critical of Pollard if he goes with a guy like Harbaugh - to me - seems silly.

Jamie Pollard is far more educated in these matters than any fan or media outlet.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
    Apparently last night on Cy Hawk talk (mediacom show) Deace and Miller both had Brian Kelly as their top choice. The think he's the real deal. Just interesting.
    That's all I need to hear to want to go in another direction.

Also that's another reason to get a dish rather than Mediacom.

"The bass, the rock,
    The mic, the treble,
    I like my coffee black,
    Just like my metal."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,075
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 338

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post
    Brian Kelly does not start my engine. We need some pzzazz to get recruits to Ames and the alumni to start tailagting again. Central Michigan is not texas and probably harder to recruit to than Ames. The MAC is the MAC. They will nver be more than the MAC. They are not like the MVC in status. They play Thursday night fog games and mud bowls. I believe a lot of people would be disappointed to come to Ames the first season. Rebuild would take four to five years for Kelly to build up his pluses in Ames. The reason we get many of our recruits is the kids get to play against their high school buddies in Big 12. Did you look at the roster for Central Michigan in the Balkans and where their kids are from? This is not a match IMO.
    Brian Kelly or whomever JP hires will NOT get five years to build a program. Jamies quote on DanMac sez it all: If I had been the AD there would NOT have been a fifth year for Mac.

If JP's new football coach doesnt get to a bowl after year number four he will be fired!

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 422
    Given: 181

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    If JP's new football coach doesnt get to a bowl after year number four he will be fired!
    I would hope that his standards would be higher than that! With the 12th game added, it now takes a 4-0 non-conference start with a 2-6 conference record to go to a bowl. Or 3-1 and 3-5. (See 2006 Iowa Hawkeyes)

It's ridiculous. You should have at least a .500 conference record to go to a bowl IMO.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    I would hope that his standards would be higher than that! With the 12th game added, it now takes a 4-0 non-conference start with a 2-6 conference record to go to a bowl. Or 3-1 and 3-5. (See 2006 Iowa Hawkeyes)

It's ridiculous. You should have at least a .500 conference record to go to a bowl IMO.
    I totally agree

Prospect
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Yeah, Deace went on a tirade about Harbaugh on CN.

Ya know, I don't know who the best guy is, yet I'm growing tired of the "AD-wanna-be's" like Deace. You can discuss it, have an opinion, etc. But to be quite critical of Pollard if he goes with a guy like Harbaugh - to me - seems silly.

Jamie Pollard is far more educated in these matters than any fan or media outlet.

THANK YOU! I actually just posted this on another thread, but I have been losing increasing respect for Deace. I used to watch him on the Mediacom CyHawk show, but over the last few months I have seen him repeatedly bash ISU for having a bad coach (I understood his criticisms), then basically say that ISU was wrong for firing McCarney after his press conference, and this week he criticized our potential new coaches in a somewhat self-righteous manner. I realize we donít have that many media personalities discussing ISU sports in the state, but frankly Iím tired of his hypocrisy. Especially in that CyHawk show where Jon clearly is a true Iowa Hawkeye fan and it is obvious that the Cyclones to Deace are only a topic of discussion for which he his responsible each week. I donít mind criticisms of ISU, but at least have the best interest of the school at heart. Sorry, I may be the only one that he bothers but I just got fed up with him on his show this week and Iím done listening to him.

Rookie
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't like it when Deace uses "We" when refering to Michigan.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

What was Deace's knock on Harbaugh?

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

This is all sort of like recruiting. It all plays out in the end. Who is to say what the best choice is right away? Kirk Ferentz wasn't a popular choice for Iowa's fan base, but he's done a pretty good job.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Jon Miller is the living embodiment of the Peter Principle.
    Who knows who will work out as the next coach. Like JJ4ISU said it's like recruiting. Three years from now, no one will care about the scuttlebutt, just the results.

Walk On
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post

We need to get rid of 7 bowls minimum. No more than 50 of 119 teams should be playing in bowls. 64 is tragic. There are so many average teams in bowls it is just sickening to watch.

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jDub View Post
    What was Deace's knock on Harbaugh?
    His knock on Harbaugh was basically no Div 1 experience and lack of experience in turning progams around. I am a memeber on CN and this was my response to him.

"Steve,
    Some people are natural born leaders and successful in everything they do.

Is it a coincidence that Jim was brought up by a coach who had successful teams? Is it a coincidence that Jim Harbaugh was a successful QB at Michigan and in the NFL? Is it a coincidence that he has been successful at San Diego?

People are naturally attracted and want to follow successful people.

Everyday individuals are promoted into new jobs/positions because they have been successful in previous positions.

If the requirement for any job was to be successful at the same level job, no one would ever get promoted and new talent would never be given the opportunity to succeed.

Following your logic, you should never have been given the opportunity in radio because you should have stayed in the newspaper business all your life.

I'm not ripping you, but pointing out that sometimes it's just right to give someone a chance.

I think Harbaugh is smart enough, talented enough and successful enough for us to give him a chance. We may be passing on a once in a lifetime opportunity if we don't get him. "

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 150

Quote Originally Posted by VII_Fe View Post
    We need to get rid of 7 bowls minimum. No more than 50 of 119 teams should be playing in bowls. 64 is tragic. There are so many average teams in bowl games it is just sickening to watch.
    The only way that any bowls are going to go away is through the process of "natural selection". If the sponsorship dries up and the fans do not attend a particular bowl game, that bowl will go away.

Apparently fans and corporations like to watch medicore teams play in bowl games. I don't have a problem with corporations giving their money to universities via bowl games, and I don't have a problem with the present number of bowl games.

What I have a problem with is people who believe that making a minor bowl game is some kind of major accomplishment that should guarantee a coach his job for life. The problem is not the number of bowl games, but rather, the problem is the significance attached to attending certain bowl games. A major accomplishment is making a New Years Day or following bowl game. Other than that, making one of the earlier bowls is not that big of a competitive accomplishment. Put the proper perspective on the early bowl games, and all will be fine.

Don't throw out the corporation money with the bathwater. Many athletic departments need all the help they can get.