Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 42

Emotions and Your Money

Got this from my company EAP network today. Wanted to share.

Emotions and Your Money

This is the third of a three part series on "Emotions and Your Money"
    "When people argue over money, the argument is likely to have little to do with money. It almost always has to do with issues of control, security, self-esteem, and above all, love." (Grace Weinstein, author)

Money Misery. The new science of happiness starts with a simple insight: We're never satisfied. "We always think if we just had a little bit more money, we'd be happier," says Catherine Sanderson, a psychology professor at Amherst College, "but when we get there, we're not."

David Futrelle of Money magazine writes, "You overestimate how much pleasure you'll get from having more. Humans are adaptable creatures, which has been a plus during assorted ice ages, plagues and wars. But that's also why you're never all that satisfied for long when good fortune comes your way. While earning more makes you happy in the short term, you quickly adjust to your new wealth - and everything it buys you. Yes, you get a thrill at first from a shiny new car. But the pleasure soon wears off like the young child ripping open his birthday presents wondering what's next."

Money Bliss. If you want to know how to use the money you have to become happier, you need to understand just what it is that brings you happiness in the first place. And that's where the newest happiness research comes in.

What is the source of happiness? People. Innumerable studies suggest that having friends matters a great deal. Large-scale surveys by the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center, for example, find that those with five or more close friends are 50% more likely to describe themselves as "very happy" than those with smaller social circles. The lesson? Invest in your friendships.

Even more important to your happiness is your relationship with your "significant other." People in happy, stable, committed relationships tend to be far happier than those who aren't.

In addition, doing things can bring us more joy than having things. Our preoccupation with stuff obscures an important truth: The things that don't last create the most lasting happiness. That's what Gilovich and Leaf Van Boven of the University of Colorado found when they asked students to compare the pleasure they got from the most recent things they bought vs. the experiences (a night out, a vacation) they spent money on.

Gilovich suspects that the people who are happiest are those who are best at wringing experiences out of everything they spend money on whether it's dancing lessons or hiking boots.

The bottom line is, no matter what path you're on, it's worth remembering that money is a necessary means to live life, one to be saved, used, donated, considered, and enjoyed, but hopefully never feared.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Emotions and Your Money

Is your company telling you not to expect that raise this year?

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 722
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

if i got that from my company, i would be worried about a pay cut on the horizon.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,083
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 42

I'm one of the owners of the company, so no that's not a problem.

I took it as it takes more than money to make you happy(it's good to have both however.)

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 18

On a side note, I'm never a fan of these studies that measure "happiness" by asking people if they are happy. I've known a lot of people that would describe themselves as happy that aren't.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

You know, money isn't the source of happiness.

But money represents your "life force", and if you are wasting money, or being careless with it, you are expending your "life force" for little return.

Which is why couples often argue about money.

It's not that spending money is bad; but failure to know where your money goes can lead to unhappiness.

That is why my wife and I get together at the start of every month, and make a budget, where we put a name on every dollar, to include "blow money" that both of us get to "blow" without asking the other.

Otherwise, that money gets spent "on purpose" instead of "accidentally."

This process serves two purposes: First, once we started paying attention to where our money goes, we quit spending as much on things that didn't matter anyway. Instead of buying coffee every morning, we make buying coffee a "treat" occasion, for example. We went from having to squeak by every month, to having literally thousands of dollars extra left over we could throw at retirement, our house payment, or travel.

The second benefit our family meetings to make the budget have had, is that we are both more confident in where we stand, and it helps to avoid one of us feeling like the other is dictating "how things will be". I've also noticed a high incidence of... ummm... Mommy and Daddy private time immediately after these budget meetings, and in fact, the frequency and quality of "Mommy and Daddy private time" has gone up quite a bit as well.

While I believe that money isn't the root of either evil or happiness, I think having a sound financial basis is a pretty good start....

Click the following link if you're interested in learning more about how we learned:

www.daveramsey.com

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 275

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Got this from my company EAP network today. Wanted to share.

Emotions and Your Money

This is the third of a three part series on "Emotions and Your Money"
    "When people argue over money, the argument is likely to have little to do with money. It almost always has to do with issues of control, security, self-esteem, and above all, love." (Grace Weinstein, author)

Money Misery. The new science of happiness starts with a simple insight: We're never satisfied. "We always think if we just had a little bit more money, we'd be happier," says Catherine Sanderson, a psychology professor at Amherst College, "but when we get there, we're not."

David Futrelle of Money magazine writes, "You overestimate how much pleasure you'll get from having more. Humans are adaptable creatures, which has been a plus during assorted ice ages, plagues and wars. But that's also why you're never all that satisfied for long when good fortune comes your way. While earning more makes you happy in the short term, you quickly adjust to your new wealth - and everything it buys you. Yes, you get a thrill at first from a shiny new car. But the pleasure soon wears off like the young child ripping open his birthday presents wondering what's next."

Money Bliss. If you want to know how to use the money you have to become happier, you need to understand just what it is that brings you happiness in the first place. And that's where the newest happiness research comes in.

What is the source of happiness? People. Innumerable studies suggest that having friends matters a great deal. Large-scale surveys by the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center, for example, find that those with five or more close friends are 50% more likely to describe themselves as "very happy" than those with smaller social circles. The lesson? Invest in your friendships.

Even more important to your happiness is your relationship with your "significant other." People in happy, stable, committed relationships tend to be far happier than those who aren't.

In addition, doing things can bring us more joy than having things. Our preoccupation with stuff obscures an important truth: The things that don't last create the most lasting happiness. That's what Gilovich and Leaf Van Boven of the University of Colorado found when they asked students to compare the pleasure they got from the most recent things they bought vs. the experiences (a night out, a vacation) they spent money on.

Gilovich suspects that the people who are happiest are those who are best at wringing experiences out of everything they spend money on whether it's dancing lessons or hiking boots.

The bottom line is, no matter what path you're on, it's worth remembering that money is a necessary means to live life, one to be saved, used, donated, considered, and enjoyed, but hopefully never feared.
    I completely agree with this. When I got out of college I probably made 1/4 of what I make now. Both the toys and the responsibilities have become bigger.

Back when I was 20 I didn't have a lot but I only had a $400/month apartment and that was pretty much it for liabilities. If I would have lost my job I could have worked at McDonald's and made all my payments.

I would say the one exception to this rule is travel/vacations. These leave lasting memories and more money has allowed me to take more trips.

Cars, toys, etc almost never make you happy based on what they cost. I have better memories from a '74 Z-28 worth $5K than a 350Z that cost $35K.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    You know, money isn't the source of happiness.

But money represents your "life force", and if you are wasting money, or being careless with it, you are expending your "life force" for little return.
    Use the Force Luke.