Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Harbaugh as a decoy.....

From what Jeremy is reporting I have no doubt its probable Harbaugh is at the top of the list.

But was Harbaugh picked to be at the top of the list becuase he has a gag order in his contract? How smart would it be if Pollard picked him as a decoy and as a plan B if others fell through, since he can't discuss anything.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Re: Harbaugh as a decoy.....

Frankly I think it would be insulting if Pollard was using him as a "decoy" and I doubt very much that is the case.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41

I'm not sure Pollard uses decoys. I think coach's names get tossed into the coaching search hat more by themselves, their agents or the people around them more than AD's do.

Coaches know, even if they are not interested in a job - it's best if their name is tied into it for recognition. If people don't know who you are, you may not get picked up when you really want to.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

So are you saying Jeter wasn't a decoy?

Recruit
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Decoy or smoke screen is a play on words. I don't think they are intentional but it's more of a reflection of who's name becomes more public because of one side wanting it to be that way then it is about an AD making it that way.

In the case of Jeter I think his side let that name open up more. For one he got a raise and extension of his contract and still got an interview about a top level Div 1A job. That's a ++ for Jeter. In the end JP got a guy he didn't initially have on his radar that worked out as a bonus for ISU.

With the football coaching search I think it's more of the same. This time Harbaugh's camp is talking more than other camps. Harbaugh has more to gain with his name associated with a job like ISU or any 'better' job for that matter for schools looking to hire a new coach. He's advertising let's say. Other coaches like Kelly and Kragthorpe don't really need to do so and because of their current position would rather not affect it adversly (recuriting) if they don't get the job.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

How do we know what Jeter was/wasn't a decoy?

Perhaps he was Pollard's #1 and when he and Jeter spoke, it didn't go well.

Or maybe Pollard was going to hire Jeter, yet McDermott put his hat in late, Pollard spoke to him after Jeter and liked McDermott better.

We'll never know - that's about all we know for sure. Pollard will never tell. :)

That's the beauty of it though - no one will know if Jeter was a decoy or not. So, people will expect a decoy this time and in the future perhaps. Pollard likes to keep these things completely under the table until it's time for 'em to come out.

I not only can appreciate that, but I welcome it as well.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Why does Jeter have to be a decoy? McDermott threw his name into the hat from all reports, and he was ISU's to have. Why would we need a decoy when the coach that we got wanted to come here without reservation?

Walk On
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SlyCy View Post
    So are you saying Jeter wasn't a decoy?
    No. Jeter was a very serious candidate, and if you recall, it came down to Jeter and McDermott. JP stayed at the home of Bo Ryan trying to determine between the two. He ended up with McDermott for a couple of reasons - 1. Buyout for McD was nearly $700,000 less than for Jeter; 2. Contrary to opinion, I believe McD showed more of a Big School recruiting perspective to JP with a definite plan and staff in mind, especially Oetzelberger.

The only "decoy" was that JP never corrected all of the media and websites that the initial reports that McD was not a candidate was, in fact, false. To keep this perception, JP was more than happy to let people think it was Jeter all along. I think this was much more to keep other potential McD suitors in the dark as well so that some school (namely KSU) wouldn't sign McD before JP had the chance to make his decision.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Or maybe Pollard was going to hire Jeter, yet McDermott put his hat in late, Pollard spoke to him after Jeter and liked McDermott better.
    That's actually inaccurate I believe. Pollard interviewed GMac on his way to Wisconsin. We didn't find that out until after the choice went public. I believe Jeter was the first choice according to all 3 sites. I think GMac made contact, JP HAD to interview him for obvious reasons, interviewed him and after interviewing Jeter he felt GMac was the guy. I think the 900,000$ buy out of Jeter's contract played into it a bit as well. GMac was a cheaper and just as good a get if not better then Jeter.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

In talking to Pollard, Jeter was interviewed first, than G-Mac. That's all he told me. So, he could have been referring to interviewing Jeter over the phone, seeing G-Mac in person, seeing Jeter in person and then making the decision.

The only thing we'll know for certain is we will not know all the facts in any coaching search Pollard conducts. In fact, we'll know very few of the actions that take place.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by klerme View Post
    No. Jeter was a very serious candidate, and if you recall, it came down to Jeter and McDermott. JP stayed at the home of Bo Ryan trying to determine between the two. He ended up with McDermott for a couple of reasons - 1. Buyout for McD was nearly $700,000 less than for Jeter; 2. Contrary to opinion, I believe McD showed more of a Big School recruiting perspective to JP with a definite plan and staff in mind, especially Oetzelberger.

The only "decoy" was that JP never corrected all of the media and websites that the initial reports that McD was not a candidate was, in fact, false. To keep this perception, JP was more than happy to let people think it was Jeter all along. I think this was much more to keep other potential McD suitors in the dark as well so that some school (namely KSU) wouldn't sign McD before JP had the chance to make his decision.
    JP, didn't intentially not correct the media, he just didn't care. When the story was really flying those last 2 days he was on a trip to Iowa City and then Wisconsin doing interviews. He had little time to give a damn about what was happening on message boards and then the Wisconsin Media the last 24 hours before the hiring.

Rookie
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyflyer View Post
    That's actually inaccurate I believe. Pollard interviewed GMac on his way to Wisconsin. We didn't find that out until after the choice went public. I believe Jeter was the first choice according to all 3 sites. I think GMac made contact, JP HAD to interview him for obvious reasons, interviewed him and after interviewing Jeter he felt GMac was the guy. I think the 900,000$ buy out of Jeter's contract played into it a bit as well. GMac was a cheaper and just as good a get if not better then Jeter.
    In my opinion GMac is a far better choice than Jeter. I am an alum of UW-Milwaukee and have watched the program develop under Bo Ryan and Bruce Pearl in recent years. Thus far, I am not overly impressed with Jeter. He inherited an outstanding team from Pearl and had a starting lineup comprised of all seniors last year. This year is a completely different story. I predict that the UW-Milwaukee program will spiral downward under his watch. I'd love to see the Clones play UWM.

Psyched about the Clones!!!

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I guess I need to clarify my original post. I meant to imply that AFTER the field of canidates was narrowed down, that's when the decoy began with Harbaugh.

That's I believe happened with Jeter AFTER both were interview and Pollard decided McDermott was his man.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

If we're going to play the rumor game, I've been told by a few people in the DSM area that GMac was all but signed, sealed and delivered before Morgan was even let go. And that JP simply went through a little due-dilligence.

Do I, or anyone know that for a fact? No. Does anybody know anything about that search, or this one - for a fact? No.

But the fact that the firing and hiring went down inside 72 hours, lends a little credence to more behind the scenes workmanship than we've been shown.

I have little to no doubt at all, that JP has been on the phone well before Mac being let go. In fact, I'm relatively sure he has his man already and the reason we don't know about it is two-fold. Respect for Mac in his final game and week(s) leading up to it, and to pump up attendance for this weekend. Third factor might be the current situation of the candidate - still coaching, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me one iota to see an announcement early next week.

Again, do I know anything? Not really. But JP doesn't come off as the kind of guy who takes such bold step without having his ducks in a row, lined up, spaced, set, and gunsight pegged, shell in the chamber, safety off and finger on the trigger - and an itchy one at that.

Rookie
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The GMac interview happened before JP talked to Jeter. Pollard decided to interview Jeter just to assure himself that he was making the right decision. Pollard called GMac very late at night to offer him the job. Which GMac accepted.

Now, Pollard probably did first "interview" Jeter over the phone. But, I think it is pretty accurate that he talked to GMac in person first.