Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Am I the only one...

..that hasn't bought into Harbaugh hype? seems like an inferiority complex hire to me. I will support whatever decision Pollard makes but Harbaugh lacks experience, sounds like he will cost too much, and it could be argued his limited succes in coaching is due to being a big fish in a very small pond. Good/great players seldom make good coaches. Just ask feather head on the other side of the state. Don't buy into the radio toad hype.

How about:

Gary Barnett - Yes he is a sleaze ball but the guy won at Northwestern for chrissakes. He routinely overachieved at CU. ISU could use a little grease.

Mike Price - Won at WSU which has a very similar situation to ISU. Now he has Texas connections. Before you preach, remember, Gene Smith had to overlook a few issues with McCarney.

Randy Edsall - No one knows more than ISU fans the strides the UCONN program has taken.

Pat Hill - Long shot but has a proven track record of taking marginal players, not to mention questionable characters, and turning them into good teams.

Rush Probst - The guy is a motivator. Rush isn't scared to put a team's star in his place. Inside track to one of the best high school football programs in the country.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: Am I the only one...

You are not alone on the JH hype. I wouldn't go as far as the statement about great players being great coaches just because I don't know.

I do feel he sorely lacks experience at a major level and it is a big stpe from where he is to where we are.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Agreed 100%.

I don't see how he could possibly be ready for this type of leap, regardless of how long he was a QB in the NFL.

A three legged dog walks into a bar and says, "I'm lookin' for the man who shot my paw."

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

You mention that he will cost too much. How do you know his salary requirements? He can't be making tons of money at San Diego......

Rookie
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think we're all just kind of assuming the salary would be quite a bit, considering he does have an agent.

The only thing I will say is that he still has to have the x's & o's down pretty good to beat the same level talent convincingly. His games aren't even close, his teams are crushing people.

That being said, I think I'd rather go for Kragthorpe.

Pro Achievements:

Thumbs Up

How about we wait and see who is hired and give them a couple years before judging them?

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

There are several big risks with JH.

1) Limited experience as a coach, and his coaching experience is at a very low level. There's no sugar coating that his league includes teams like Drake.

2) He likely has no recruiting network in Texas and the midwest due to his limited coaching resume.

3) He has expressed an interest to be an NFL head coach, so he's very likely to use ISU as a stepping stone if he is successful (i.e. Tim Floyd).

JP has demonstrated a willingness to take risk and JH definitely has name recognition. Based on this board he would likely create excitement which is a good thing, but his profile is very risky. JP's desire to get this right makes me think that this isn't the profile he's looking for. Time will tell. I will support whatever decision he makes.

Last edited by mt85; 11-17-2006 at 07:54 AM.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 180

I'm on the opposite side...but I do understand all of the concerns brought up.

He has led a non-scholarship program (he has to recruit people to go to SD but cannot offer them a full scholarship) to #14 in Div. 1AA. He very well may lead them to the 1AA playoffs...this has NEVER happened with a non-scholarship school. I'm confident he has the Xs and Os down.

As for recruiting...instant name recognition, which goes a long way. I think it was ISUFan who said that if the young kids don't know who he is/was (which I find unlikely), the parents most definitely will. We all thought GMac wouldn't be able to recruit coming from a small midwest school but he has proven us wrong.

JH may not be the guy but if it is, I know that I will be excited to see him on our sidelines!

Recruit
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm a Bears fan, I'll be excited about Harbaugh, but again, it's his name getting us excited not his accolades. Sure he's doing great on the west coast, I guess what ex-NFL QB wouldn't be at a school that is on the sunny coast of California.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 506
    Given: 48

One thing everyone is overlooking in Harbaugh is that we will get publicity at EVERY turn on ESPN, etc. which makes us a more high profile program than we are now. Easier to sell expansions. Blue chippers like the high profile and publicity. I also take exception that he has no recruiting experience or contacts. He recruited for his father at Western Kentucky, his brother is a special teams coach for the Eagles, his bro-in-law is Marquette BB coach.

Limited experience is a concern to me, however I also look at results. The guy has absolutely DOMINATED at his level. He certainly has the POTENTIAL to be a diamond in the rough. Could only be here 4-5 years. BUT if he is only here 4-5 years we have had one helluva ride. What exactly do we have to lose? Can we go any lower in the Big XII?

IF Harbaugh had the coaching experience that many of you would require, he would not be interested in the ISU job. He would be going to a higher profile program. Don't bash me for thinking that, I am Clone to the Bone, and that is just the fact.

Rookie
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good point Stormin about the coaching experience. Our program needs to gamble a bit.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

One thing that separates Harbaugh from the other candidates is his financial situation. For most coaches, the head coaching position here would be doubling or tripling their salary, and the overall contract would be a huge change in their financial situation.
    Harbaugh (if he has saved his NFL money) should be a multi-millionaire. That gives him the opportunity to be more selective in moving to a new job. If he doesn't have the exact right fit for him it would be easier to wait another year to see what opens up. He would be leaving some money on the table by waiting a year, but that wouldn't make much of a dent in his overall net worth.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    One thing everyone is overlooking in Harbaugh is that we will get publicity at EVERY turn on ESPN, etc. which makes us a more high profile program than we are now. Easier to sell expansions. Blue chippers like the high profile and publicity. I also take exception that he has no recruiting experience or contacts. He recruited for his father at Western Kentucky, his brother is a special teams coach for the Eagles, his bro-in-law is Marquette BB coach.

Limited experience is a concern to me, however I also look at results. The guy has absolutely DOMINATED at his level. He certainly has the POTENTIAL to be a diamond in the rough. Could only be here 4-5 years. BUT if he is only here 4-5 years we have had one helluva ride. What exactly do we have to lose? Can we go any lower in the Big XII?

IF Harbaugh had the coaching experience that many of you would require, he would not be interested in the ISU job. He would be going to a higher profile program. Don't bash me for thinking that, I am Clone to the Bone, and that is just the fact.
    Excellent points.

ISU is not going to get the best of both worlds right now - a named guy with experience. We're going to have to pick one and go with it. Pollard seems to be investigating both types of coaches.

I look at Brewster as a coach with more experience and Harbaugh as a guy with a big name. You could easily make a case for both types.

Harbaugh would have an easier time recruiting, supposedly. And that's one thing holding ISU back.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

The analogy to Alford is scary but the one thing mentioned about Harbaugh that I like is he supposedly has some assistants and players lined up and ready to come with him. It sure looks like we could use some immediate help with recruiting.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 180

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Harbaugh would have an easier time recruiting, supposedly. And that's one thing holding ISU back.
    We should be able to get some badass quarterbacks with him as our coach.

Recruit: I really want to play QB coach.
    Harbaugh: Well you can go play for Bob Stoops...they like to run the ball alot.
    Recruit: Yeah, that's a possibility
    Harbaugh: Or you could come play for me. By the way, I played QB in the NFL for 15 years. I know what it takes to get there and what it takes to stay there.
    Harbaugh: One more thing...my non-scholarship QB at San Diego absolutely tore up sholarship teams.