Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 26,984, Level: 50
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,230
    Points
    26,984
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Practice Reports

    I just want to get this out in the open, because I am starting to see some troubling posts about the practice reports. It's wonderful to get highlights, I think it is a great nugget to get us fans by in day to day life. However, make no mistake it is not journalism and you better believe at least one of the coaches sees it before it goes out.

    Please don't take what is on these reports as the gospel. I can just see the posts now,

    "Why is he starting? I didn't his name on any of the practice reports!"

    "Bass hasn't been mentioned on the practice reports. Is he still in the doghouse?"

    See these reports for what they are. Total propoganda!



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 158,274, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Palmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    7,886
    Points
    158,274
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 2

    Re: Practice Reports

    propaganda/selective nuggets.


    Carrying the banner for ISU.


  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 249,674, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,401
    Points
    249,674
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Practice Reports

    It's little nuggets to help get the fanbase excited and sell tickets. Anything posted on Cyclones.com is an effort to sell tickets.

    However, I really love it and it makes me excited for the season so it's working.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 19,880, Level: 43
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 870
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    hobbsfan27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Muscatine
    Posts
    1,568
    Points
    19,880
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Practice Reports

    Who let him out of the dog house, whoo,whoo.



  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 10,901, Level: 31
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Waukee
    Posts
    613
    Points
    10,901
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Practice Reports

    First thing, Bass couldn't go full pads for 4 days due to NCAA rules, so Thursday would be the first day that we could if Saturday was his first day back and Sunday was an off day.



  6. #6
    Recruit
    Points: 5,340, Level: 21
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    114
    Points
    5,340
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Practice Reports

    If you don't realize these are only highlights you are a "Moran." It's not like they are going to post, 1st and 10 offense v. defense Hayworth Hicks jumped offsides. 14 presnap penalities were recorded.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 96,467, Level: 96
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 583
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    5,801
    Points
    96,467
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 18

    Re: Practice Reports

    Quote Originally Posted by BooneCy View Post
    I just want to get this out in the open, because I am starting to see some troubling posts about the practice reports. It's wonderful to get highlights, I think it is a great nugget to get us fans by in day to day life. However, make no mistake it is not journalism and you better believe at least one of the coaches sees it before it goes out.

    Please don't take what is on these reports as the gospel. I can just see the posts now,

    "Why is he starting? I didn't his name on any of the practice reports!"

    "Bass hasn't been mentioned on the practice reports. Is he still in the doghouse?"

    See these reports for what they are. Total propoganda!
    I like to see the reports. I like to hear what's going on, who's making some heads turn, etc. It doesn't change the fact that I have no doubt that Chizik and company are going to put the best 11 guys on the field. Just because someone is turning heads on one play, doesn't mean they are doing it on every play. Heck, you could be knocking people out cold on every play, but, if you're not following your assignments you aren't doing your job correctly.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 97,116, Level: 97
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,934
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    everyyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,851
    Points
    97,116
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 13

    Re: Practice Reports

    Quote Originally Posted by BooneCy View Post
    I just want to get this out in the open, because I am starting to see some troubling posts about the practice reports. It's wonderful to get highlights, I think it is a great nugget to get us fans by in day to day life. However, make no mistake it is not journalism and you better believe at least one of the coaches sees it before it goes out.

    Please don't take what is on these reports as the gospel. I can just see the posts now,

    "Why is he starting? I didn't his name on any of the practice reports!"

    "Bass hasn't been mentioned on the practice reports. Is he still in the doghouse?"

    See these reports for what they are. Total propoganda!
    yes, sir.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 16,791, Level: 39
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    MaxPower57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    923
    Points
    16,791
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Practice Reports

    Got to take these reports with a grain of salt, remember Josh Johnson? He was tearing it up so much in the reports he even got a nickname.


    --------------------------------------
    “Max Power—he's the man whose name you'd love to touch...
    But, you musn't touch!
    His name sounds good in your ear
    But when you say it, you mustn't fear
    Because his name can be said by anyone!”

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 332,721, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,630
    Points
    332,721
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

    Re: Practice Reports

    Quote Originally Posted by BooneCy View Post
    I just want to get this out in the open, because I am starting to see some troubling posts about the practice reports. It's wonderful to get highlights, I think it is a great nugget to get us fans by in day to day life. However, make no mistake it is not journalism and you better believe at least one of the coaches sees it before it goes out.

    Please don't take what is on these reports as the gospel. I can just see the posts now,

    "Why is he starting? I didn't his name on any of the practice reports!"

    "Bass hasn't been mentioned on the practice reports. Is he still in the doghouse?"

    See these reports for what they are. Total propoganda!
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    propaganda/selective nuggets.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    It's little nuggets to help get the fanbase excited and sell tickets. Anything posted on Cyclones.com is an effort to sell tickets.

    However, I really love it and it makes me excited for the season so it's working.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower57 View Post
    Got to take these reports with a grain of salt, remember Josh Johnson? He was tearing it up so much in the reports he even got a nickname.
    All good posts.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 26,984, Level: 50
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,230
    Points
    26,984
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Practice Reports

    I'm not saying I don't like them. I love them. But the current thread about Bates being the no.1 is a perfect example of what I am talking about.

    I suppose it makes good activity on the message boards, but come on!



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 177,591, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,451
    Points
    177,591
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 93

    Re: Practice Reports

    Quote Originally Posted by BooneCy View Post
    I'm not saying I don't like them. I love them. But the current thread about Bates being the no.1 is a perfect example of what I am talking about.
    Indeed. I had been noticing that certain of the "reports" seems skewed towards the newcomers, with little mention of returnees we can be reasonably certain will be in the rotation as the season progresses.

    Either the coaches want to get a look at young guys early on, before they disappear onto the scout team (makes sence, since you have to evaluate for next season's recruiting), or they're suppressing just what certain other players are doing.

    Either way, I'm still happy with what we get. Better something than nothing at all.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,013, Level: 63
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,650
    Points
    42,013
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 10

    Re: Practice Reports

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Indeed. I had been noticing that certain of the "reports" seems skewed towards the newcomers, with little mention of returnees we can be reasonably certain will be in the rotation as the season progresses.

    Either the coaches want to get a look at young guys early on, before they disappear onto the scout team (makes sence, since you have to evaluate for next season's recruiting), or they're suppressing just what certain other players are doing.

    Either way, I'm still happy with what we get. Better something than nothing at all.
    Getting fans excited about the newcomers could also help to sell a few more season tickets.



  14. #14
    CF Founder
    Points: 235,866, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Urbandale, IA
    Posts
    13,033
    Points
    235,866
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 268
    Given: 127

    Re: Practice Reports

    I think the practice reports are quite refreshing and well intentioned. You have to remember that the access you're seeing from Iowa State in regards to practices is the best you'll see anywhere. Iowa State is trying to be open and give the fans access to things that nobody else gets to see and I think it should be better received by those that complain about not having info about what goes on in closed practice.

    Remember, somebody is taking a lot of time putting together incredibly detailed overviews and highlights about what goes on in an otherwise closed practice just for the fans to get excited about. Somebody is going out of their way and putting in many extra hours to provide a great service to the fans

    I realize that it's easy to dissect the reports and criticize them but there really is no reason to - they're being provided as a service to the fans and provide great insight into something you otherwise would know nothing about. Just show some appreciation when it's warranted.

    (End of rant)


    A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 30,713, Level: 53
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    1,825
    Points
    30,713
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 13

    Re: Practice Reports

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I think the practice reports are quite refreshing and well intentioned. You have to remember that the access you're seeing from Iowa State in regards to practices is the best you'll see anywhere. Iowa State is trying to be open and give the fans access to things that nobody else gets to see and I think it should be better received by those that complain about not having info about what goes on in closed practice.

    Remember, somebody is taking a lot of time putting together incredibly detailed overviews and highlights about what goes on in an otherwise closed practice just for the fans to get excited about. Somebody is going out of their way and putting in many extra hours to provide a great service to the fans

    I realize that it's easy to dissect the reports and criticize them but there really is no reason to - they're being provided as a service to the fans and provide great insight into something you otherwise would know nothing about. Just show some appreciation when it's warranted.

    (End of rant)
    Agreed. I look forward to reading these every day. And then spend several hours pondering who's winning the QB race...


    ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

    Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM