Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Back from Iowa

I got back to the oven (central Texas) from my whirlwind trip to Western and Central Iowa. I saw my family in Council Bluffs and Altoona, I got to spend one night at my cousin's new hotel in Ankeny (really nice) and had a great meal at Iowa Beef!

I didn't make it to the fair this year, but I did bring back 3 dozen ears of sweet corn (Iowa GOLD)!

Now if I only could have brought back some of the cooler weather, it would have been perfect.

Go Clones!!
    Gig 'em Aggies!!
    Saw 'em off!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 18

Re: Back from Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by TxCycloneFan View Post
    I got back to the oven (central Texas) from my whirlwind trip to Western and Central Iowa. I saw my family in Council Bluffs and Altoona, I got to spend one night at my cousin's new hotel in Ankeny (really nice) and had a great meal at Iowa Beef!

I didn't make it to the fair this year, but I did bring back 3 dozen ears of sweet corn (Iowa GOLD)!

Now if I only could have brought back some of the cooler weather, it would have been perfect.
    I made a similar trip a few weeks ago; Omaha/CB, Des Moines/Ames, and the Fort Dodge area. A friend in Austin tells me they have been having a very long stretch of triple digit weather. I really like that area, but man does it get hot and humid in the summer. Are you anywhere near Austin?

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by sunset View Post
    I made a similar trip a few weeks ago; Omaha/CB, Des Moines/Ames, and the Fort Dodge area. A friend in Austin tells me they have been having a very long stretch of triple digit weather. I really like that area, but man does it get hot and humid in the summer. Are you anywhere near Austin?

I work in Austin and live in Bastrop (30 miles east). we had our 44th day of 100 degree weather yesterday.

I see you are in San Diego. Yesterday my step son calls to say he is wanting to move to San Diego. then today, my best friend from high school sends me an email to say he is moving to San Diego. I sent my wife the weeks weather forcast for San Diego and joked that we are moving there next. Now, I get this response from you, so that's it. I am out of here!

Go Clones!!
    Gig 'em Aggies!!
    Saw 'em off!!

Chile Mac is Back!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 503
    Given: 1,004

When I lived in Texas, I LOVED getting back to Iowa, especially for the fresh air. Dallas has really bad air.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,072
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    When I lived in Texas, I LOVED getting back to Iowa, especially for the fresh air. Dallas has really bad air.
    Unless you're down wind from a hog confinement- then the air might not seem as fresh here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 68

I have family in town from southern Cal this week - some that grew up in Des Moines and others have only been visitors. Of course, we'll go to the state fair - but what else did you do while you were here that you were glad you did? I want to show them a good time.

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Addict
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,271
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 81

Quote Originally Posted by sunset View Post
    Oh yes. We have set a record for most 100-degree days in a summer this year. I can't even recall the number. It's like well over 50. It's been this way since the start of June.

I miss Iowa the most come fall, when the temps dip into the 60s, you have to wear sweatshirts in the morning, the air gets crisp, the leaves change. In Texas, the air just gets less humid, but stays hot, the everything just turns browner than usual.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I work in Austin and live in Bastrop (30 miles east). we had our 44th day of 100 degree weather yesterday.

I see you are in San Diego. Yesterday my step son calls to say he is wanting to move to San Diego. then today, my best friend from high school sends me an email to say he is moving to San Diego. I sent my wife the weeks weather forcast for San Diego and joked that we are moving there next. Now, I get this response from you, so that's it. I am out of here!

The sad thing is that we are all complaining about how hot it is here. You really acclimate after a year or two. You find that you became the people you initially made fun of for wearing a jacket in 60 degree weather and turning on the air conditioning when it reaches 80.

Texas hill country is a whole other kind of hot though. I try to only go in the fall. Last time we took a trip down to Lockhart (sp?) to take the tour of BBQ joints. That whole area is nice.

My friend is opening a bar this week on Rio Grande in Austin. It will be called Dirty Bill's and sounds like it should be a pretty cool place.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by djkent01 View Post
    I have family in town from southern Cal this week - some that grew up in Des Moines and others have only been visitors. Of course, we'll go to the state fair - but what else did you do while you were here that you were glad you did? I want to show them a good time.
    For me it is mostly about seeing family and friends. I typically golf when I go back because I don't get out much here. I also try to hit all the food related items I can't get out here: pork tenderloins (oddly enough I haven't found a decent one in all of California), restaraunt chains we don't have, fresh corn/steak when we hit the farm.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 521

I guess you're not from Davenport, Clinton, or Cedar Rapids

I personally didn't find Dallas' air all that bad (and I visited in August last year)

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 503
    Given: 1,004

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I guess you're not from Davenport, Clinton, or Cedar Rapids

I personally didn't find Dallas' air all that bad (and I visited in August last year)
    Really? I just felt it was very thick and they do have regular color warnings in the summer about pollution. It wasn't unbearable, but didn't have the clean feel of midwestern air (hog confinements excluded)...btw, here in Chicago it isn't like the air is fresh all over either.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 521

Really? I just felt it was very thick and they do have regular color warnings in the summer about pollution. It wasn't unbearable, but didn't have the clean feel of midwestern air (hog confinements excluded)...btw, here in Chicago it isn't like the air is fresh all over either.
    It's actually kind of funny - Davenport has some of the worst air quality in the nation in proportion to its size. One year the ozone count got so high that the government threatened cutting off our highway funding.

Clinton residents often talk about buying homes "above the smell."

And Cedar Rapids residents don't coin the nickname "The City of Five Smells" for nothing - citizens can figure out which direction the wind is blowing just by the smell that happens to be in the air on that particular day. And if the wind isn't blowing at all, well, then, the smells just mix together and make one really nasty smell.

All of these are due to various factories, not due to hog lots.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 240

What is this Iowa Beef you speak of? I don't think I have heard of it, but it sounds appealing.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog View Post
    What is this Iowa Beef you speak of? I don't think I have heard of it, but it sounds appealing.
    www.iowabeefsteakhouse.com

darn good steaks! I had the 20oz ribeye last friday.

As Homer Simpson would say, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Go Clones!!
    Gig 'em Aggies!!
    Saw 'em off!!