Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

The things I will miss...

It's my last week in Oberpfalz, Germany, and I am thinking back to the things I'll miss:

1) German beer - I live less than an hour from Hallertau, home of the best hops in the world. I am currently polishing off a case of Winklerbraeu "Kupfer Spezial", which is an awesome dark beer that I will miss.

2) German bread - Think Panera, but non-snooty and on every flippin' corner, with all sorts of wild and crazy derivatives and recipes.

3) Travel - Nothing like looking at each other on a Saturday morning and deciding to drive to Austria, or Czech Republic, or France for a day trip. Or catching a $30 flight to Italy, Spain or Greece. EUR 27 for 5 people all day, as many stops as you like on the train.

4) Mountains - The view out of our house, on the side of the mountain, are achingly beautiful. I have learned to mountain bike in real mountains, and despair at finding something similar in Iowa.

5) House - Nothing like living on a 300+ year old house on the side of a mountain, over caves that were used by the Celts to store perishables, and cave-men (possibly) before them. 2-3 foot thick walls, made of stone and 18" beams for a roof.

6) Job - I really, really love my job, and pretty much like my co-workers. Good point, is that I'll be doing something better when I get to the US.

As much as I like this place, I love Iowa, though. I can not think of a better place to be from, or a better place to live. I've learned how to cook German food, so I'll be able to import a small taste of here, to there....

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,131
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 39

Re: The things I will miss...

I lived there for a year and have been back multiple times, so can relate.

On the bright side, you can find a lot of German beers at local grocery stores. Actually with the microbrew revolution much of the US stuff is as good if not better than the German beers. I couldn't find any of that when I came back in 90.

You can buy some pretty good specialty breads at places like Target and even Wal Mart. Aldis always has some European vintage goods in it's stores.

Colorado is where I go now to get my mountain fix. Not really that far away from Iowa.

I still miss Germany once in while(mostly my friends over there), but if I had to choose between a trip there or to Australia(I've been there 3 times), I'll take Australia every time.

Last edited by Bobber; 08-11-2008 at 01:20 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 989
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    It's my last week in Oberpfalz, Germany, and I am thinking back to the things I'll miss:

1) German beer - I live less than an hour from Hallertau, home of the best hops in the world. I am currently polishing off a case of Winklerbraeu "Kupfer Spezial", which is an awesome dark beer that I will miss.

2) German bread - Think Panera, but non-snooty and on every flippin' corner, with all sorts of wild and crazy derivatives and recipes.

3) Travel - Nothing like looking at each other on a Saturday morning and deciding to drive to Austria, or Czech Republic, or France for a day trip. Or catching a $30 flight to Italy, Spain or Greece. EUR 27 for 5 people all day, as many stops as you like on the train.

4) Mountains - The view out of our house, on the side of the mountain, are achingly beautiful. I have learned to mountain bike in real mountains, and despair at finding something similar in Iowa.

5) House - Nothing like living on a 300+ year old house on the side of a mountain, over caves that were used by the Celts to store perishables, and cave-men (possibly) before them. 2-3 foot thick walls, made of stone and 18" beams for a roof.

6) Job - I really, really love my job, and pretty much like my co-workers. Good point, is that I'll be doing something better when I get to the US.

As much as I like this place, I love Iowa, though. I can not think of a better place to be from, or a better place to live. I've learned how to cook German food, so I'll be able to import a small taste of here, to there....
    And we'll all be looking forward to sampling some of that German beer and food at a near future tailgate!!!!! Count me in!

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

please bring back pommes frites!

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

If you're going to be in the DSM area - make a point to find a place that retails South Union bakery products. Gateway Market (west) does.

You won't miss European bread nearly as much as you might think.