Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 468
    Given: 641

Two-Deeps-Future looks bright

I was taking a quick look at the roster today and decided to put together my guess at the starters for game 1. WARNING: I am far from an expert/insider, I live out of state, and have not seen an ISU game live in 4 years.
    One trend I noticed was that we seem to have increased our depth at most positions compared to the late McCarney era, but still lack upper-echelon players. Thankfully I think in a year or two, we may have both, as we are pretty young across the board. If these players commit to Shep, and we have the coaches we think, by the time these two/three star players are seniors, they will be better than 4/5 star freshman/sophomores. As many Cyclone fans have said in the past, the future looks very good. However, this year I think we take our lumps. Given the overall youth, new QB, and weakness at LB/DL, I think we will win 4-5 games, with anything from 2-8 wins possible. Hope I am wrong.

Offense:
    QB:
    AA- I am just guessing he will be more consistent at this point in the season.
    PB- Will certainly play.

I do not care who starts at QB, as they both bring good things to the table. I am of the opinion that both will have their shot at leading the team at some point in the year.

RB:
    ARob- See end of last season
    Scales- Steady senior that does all the little things. Plus Bass has a little catching up to do to his suspension.
    Bass- Which Bass shows up? The 4-star, 100+ a game rusher, or the injured/ average RB from the end of last season. Who knows, maybe he starts by game 3?

TE:
    Catlett- Coach Fountain said he just knows the position better than C. Franklin. Solid and experienced

C. Franklin- I really hope he sees a lot of action- gives us a better weapon in passing game. Lacks the blocking and experience of Catlett.

LT:
    DD- Best combo of physical abilities and experience available for the blindside this year. I am interested to see if the added weight will help. Should be a leader.

SH: Is he a tackle or guard (or DT)? Has been hyped, and pictures show he already looks the part. Is he mobile and “long” enough to play LT? Personally I was hoping he would be a DT.

LG:
    KO- Really excited to see him play. It is nice to see the size he brings to the run game. Is he mobile enough to become an All Big-12 type player later in his career? I expect there will be some growing pains early.

RS- Brings some experience and size. Pretty much know he is at least a serviceable lineman, especially with-in the run game.

C:
    AA- Just going off cyclones.com pictures. I guess he brings a little more size than Knapp. Really no idea what type of player he is.

Knapp- Wouldn’t mind seeing us add a little mobility to what seems like a “large” line. Should be a good change a pace at the very least (not to mention a good value).

RG:
    BL- Is he our best lineman right now? Seems like he has it all- size, decent mobility, and experience. Along with DD, should be leader of line.

BJ- Was a starter (by default?) last year at center. Is large and has been through the battles. Not as mobile as one would like.

RT:
    MH- I keep on expecting TB to overtake this spot, but MH must be doing well enough. He has great potential, but appears to be still growing into his large frame. Limited experience.

TB- Was talked up quite a bit over the past year. He has the size and look of a Big 12 lineman. I hope he gets a lot of reps.

What about HH? I could see a lot of guys switching to get the best 8 or 9 in a rotation. As
    most have said, I think we will see a lot of guys early, and who starts may not be that
    important. We appear to at least have size, but we may be short on experience and what
    about mobility? It is anyone’s guess if these guys also have the mental “edge” it takes to
    be a good line. By the end of the year this line could be as good as some of Loney’s.

WR MH- Size mismatch that can be like a tight-end when we don’t want a tight-end formation wise. Solid all-around. Can he be the go to receiver?

WR R.J.- Steady and experience. Seems to be a possession type receiver. If this was next year I do not think he would start.

WR JC- A little speed and wiggle that we need, without sacrificing too much size.

Next in:
    SJ- Has that rare height/jumping ability. I think he will be a situational player this year, and then after a year with Shep- watch out.
    HJ- Maybe a more athletic version of RJ- could take some of his minutes.
    WF- Lack of strength keeps him from being an every-down player, but we need his speed on the field.
    EM- I hope he can bring some wiggle and YAC that we lack.

This is a position in transition from the Blythe/McCarney era. Blythe will certainly be missed, but collectively he can be replaced. We have some different blood coming in, that, although they are not proven, appear to be ready to take this group to a new level down the road. Right now, however, it is good to have some steady hands like RJ.

Defense:

DE:
    RP- Decent quickness and power, but undersized against run. Has experience.

CL- Has serviceable physical abilities. Wish he would follow Bates lead and change his body up to the potential he has. A rotation with RP should help both players stay fresh and able to put more pressure on QB.

DT:
    BJ- Played the most last year. A little undersized, and thus not the player he will eventually be. Because of size run defense is a concern.
    MT- I give him the back-up position because I think we need his size.

CW- Undersized, but hopefully can provide a series or two add to the rotation.

NG:
    NF- Has played quite a bit. Slimmed down to be more effective. Hopefully still big enough against the run.

JB- I am hoping he can be Curvey like disruptive.

AA- See JB and CW.

DE:
    KT- Leader of defense. We will need him to keep on getting sacks.

Kyle Slifka/Nick Frere? Not sure what we have here. Maybe Ferguson finally “gets” it this year.

Although the future looks solid, D-Line may be the weakest position, along with LB’s,
    this year. We have some depth, but may lack Big-12 ready players. Due to our poor pass rush last year and youth, players like Maggitt, McDonough, etc may see some time. Lack of size makes me wish Haughton was moved to defense. One thing is clear, DE is a big need in the upcoming class.

LB:
    Bibbs- Good speed. Saw time last year, and should be improved. Has he picked up the defense, and is he big enough in the run game?

D.S.- Walk-on that is similar to Smith.

LB:
    Smith- Solid. Lacks the big-time player physical attributes, but it is doubtful we will have anyone that can out-play him on Saturdays the next two years.

C.B- I put him here because of his size. Maybe he is more of an outside LB. Is he ready mentally?

LB:
    Garrin- Undersized, but decent athlete. Not a lot of experience. Needs to step up.

Raven- See above.

This position really concerns me. We lack size, experience, and in some spots speed. I
    would say depth is a concern, but we really don’t know if we have Big-12 caliber
    starters let alone reserves. We are fairly young so there is hope for the future.

CB:
    Bell- Size and speed. Played a lot last year. IF he keeps improving his skills, could be All Big-12.

McDowell- May be a more natural CB than Bell, but lacks size. If Bell slips, could start.

CB:
    Banks- I am probably buying too much into the hype here, as I have a JUCO taking a starting job from a 2 year starter. I just like his physicalness and play making ability.

Singleton- Known commodity. Some say he lacks the instincts of a top-self CB.

S:
    Smith- Decent player that was improving late last year. Lacks size and I question if he will ever be a good ball-hawking safety.

Hunley- Good sized senior. I hope he can be serviceable enough to allow us to redshirt the frosh.

S:
    Johnson- Is bigger than last year. I question his play making ability. Too bad he could not have redshirted as a frosh.

Sandvig? I do not know who to put here, maybe a frosh. Hopefully Brown can make it back soon, but how effective will he be.

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 08-10-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

Re: Two-Deeps-Future looks bright

I'm excited to see sets of Hamilton, Sumrall, Catlett and Franklin, with Collin lining up on the line, with the option to move Cat out of the backfield.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,077
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 15

I think this may be the longest first post ever.
    Certainly well thought out.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 695
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 20

the linebackers are the ones that worry me the most this year

Hooray for Metaphors!

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Speaking of two deeps, can you find where they have been updated since camp started????

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 342

Quote Originally Posted by tman24 View Post
    the linebackers are the ones that worry me the most this year

Our D front 7 is going to be pretty slow to start. Hopefully they can pull it out to be an average Big 12 group. We need that if we want to have any chance at 5-6 wins.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Some of my thoughts:

OL - I think that they are starting to settle on an OL of DD, KO, AA, BL, MH. I am surprised to see Hulbert starting, as I figured that Baysinger or Hicks would overtake him. IMO unless Hicks is clearly better than one of the current "starters", he redshirts. I doubt that we see him in the first game or two while the coaches are making that redshirt call.

WR - So many names here. They have what you'd think would be sure starters in RJ Sumrall and MH, but where does Messiah fit in? What about Sandvig, Houston Jones, Darks and Sedrick Johnson? Are Carlson and Franklin the designated deep threats? One of those two you'd think won't see the field much.

QB - I think that we're heading for a rotation. My guess is that AA starts and PB sees somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 the snaps. Hopefully, they have something figured out by the KU game.

TE - Blocking really concerns me here. I could see Bykowski seeing some time just as a blocking TE (but could be move to OL down the line).

DL - Run stopping really concerns me. Bailey Johnson got blown off the ball some last year. Hopefully his added strength will help here. I do like the DL depth, but I agree that DE is going to be a HUGE recruiting need.

LB - I think that Jesse Smith IS a solid Big XII LB. IMO he will be getting some all-conference mentions before he is done. Bibbs should be solid. The Raven/Garrin combo concerns me.

CB - I like the depth here. Singleton is probably playing for his spot right now. Leonard Johnson is going to play.

S - I'd like to see Kennard Banks moved to SS. He hits pretty well and should be an upgrade...even if Brown was full strength.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Starter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If i had to give a confidence rating for our position groups heres how i would give it for this year (10 being extremely confident, 1 being extremely unconfident)

1. defensive backs 8
    2.a. offensive line 7.5
    2.b. running backs 7.5
    4. receivers and tight ends 7
    5. quarterbacks 6.5
    6. defensive line 5.5
    7. linebackers 5

Starter
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 639
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm suprised nobody has ripped you yet for not knowing anything because it's your first post ;-)

Thanks for the insight, well thought out and interesting!

"They'd write things like...Lloyd. See you around....maybe."

--Lloyd Dobler

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 55

my favorite part of this post... the players initials tested my knowledge of the roster. i got them all without looking, though some took some thought.

Husker Hater

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    I was taking a quick look at the roster today and decided to put together my guess at the starters for game 1. WARNING: I am far from an expert/insider, I live out of state, and have not seen an ISU game live in 4 years.
    One trend I noticed was that we seem to have increased our depth at most positions compared to the late McCarney era, but still lack upper-echelon players. Thankfully I think in a year or two, we may have both, as we are pretty young across the board. If these players commit to Shep, and we have the coaches we think, by the time these two/three star players are seniors, they will be better than 4/5 star freshman/sophomores. As many Cyclone fans have said in the past, the future looks very good. However, this year I think we take our lumps. Given the overall youth, new QB, and weakness at LB/DL, I think we will win 4-5 games, with anything from 2-8 wins possible. Hope I am wrong.

Offense:
    QB:
    AA- I am just guessing he will be more consistent at this point in the season.
    PB- Will certainly play.

I do not care who starts at QB, as they both bring good things to the table. I am of the opinion that both will have their shot at leading the team at some point in the year.

RB:
    ARob- See end of last season
    Scales- Steady senior that does all the little things. Plus Bass has a little catching up to do to his suspension.
    Bass- Which Bass shows up? The 4-star, 100+ a game rusher, or the injured/ average RB from the end of last season. Who knows, maybe he starts by game 3?

TE:
    Catlett- Coach Fountain said he just knows the position better than C. Franklin. Solid and experienced

C. Franklin- I really hope he sees a lot of action- gives us a better weapon in passing game. Lacks the blocking and experience of Catlett.

LT:
    DD- Best combo of physical abilities and experience available for the blindside this year. I am interested to see if the added weight will help. Should be a leader.

SH: Is he a tackle or guard (or DT)? Has been hyped, and pictures show he already looks the part. Is he mobile and “long” enough to play LT? Personally I was hoping he would be a DT.

LG:
    KO- Really excited to see him play. It is nice to see the size he brings to the run game. Is he mobile enough to become an All Big-12 type player later in his career? I expect there will be some growing pains early.

RS- Brings some experience and size. Pretty much know he is at least a serviceable lineman, especially with-in the run game.

C:
    AA- Just going off cyclones.com pictures. I guess he brings a little more size than Knapp. Really no idea what type of player he is.

Knapp- Wouldn’t mind seeing us add a little mobility to what seems like a “large” line. Should be a good change a pace at the very least (not to mention a good value).

RG:
    BL- Is he our best lineman right now? Seems like he has it all- size, decent mobility, and experience. Along with DD, should be leader of line.

BJ- Was a starter (by default?) last year at center. Is large and has been through the battles. Not as mobile as one would like.

RT:
    MH- I keep on expecting TB to overtake this spot, but MH must be doing well enough. He has great potential, but appears to be still growing into his large frame. Limited experience.

TB- Was talked up quite a bit over the past year. He has the size and look of a Big 12 lineman. I hope he gets a lot of reps.

What about HH? I could see a lot of guys switching to get the best 8 or 9 in a rotation. As
    most have said, I think we will see a lot of guys early, and who starts may not be that
    important. We appear to at least have size, but we may be short on experience and what
    about mobility? It is anyone’s guess if these guys also have the mental “edge” it takes to
    be a good line. By the end of the year this line could be as good as some of Loney’s.

WR MH- Size mismatch that can be like a tight-end when we don’t want a tight-end formation wise. Solid all-around. Can he be the go to receiver?

WR R.J.- Steady and experience. Seems to be a possession type receiver. If this was next year I do not think he would start.

WR JC- A little speed and wiggle that we need, without sacrificing too much size.

Next in:
    SJ- Has that rare height/jumping ability. I think he will be a situational player this year, and then after a year with Shep- watch out.
    HJ- Maybe a more athletic version of RJ- could take some of his minutes.
    WF- Lack of strength keeps him from being an every-down player, but we need his speed on the field.
    EM- I hope he can bring some wiggle and YAC that we lack.

This is a position in transition from the Blythe/McCarney era. Blythe will certainly be missed, but collectively he can be replaced. We have some different blood coming in, that, although they are not proven, appear to be ready to take this group to a new level down the road. Right now, however, it is good to have some steady hands like RJ.

Defense:

DE:
    RP- Decent quickness and power, but undersized against run. Has experience.

CL- Has serviceable physical abilities. Wish he would follow Bates lead and change his body up to the potential he has. A rotation with RP should help both players stay fresh and able to put more pressure on QB.

DT:
    BJ- Played the most last year. A little undersized, and thus not the player he will eventually be. Because of size run defense is a concern.
    MT- I give him the back-up position because I think we need his size.

CW- Undersized, but hopefully can provide a series or two add to the rotation.

NG:
    NF- Has played quite a bit. Slimmed down to be more effective. Hopefully still big enough against the run.

JB- I am hoping he can be Curvey like disruptive.

AA- See JB and CW.

DE:
    KT- Leader of defense. We will need him to keep on getting sacks.

Kyle Slifka/Nick Frere? Not sure what we have here. Maybe Ferguson finally “gets” it this year.

Although the future looks solid, D-Line may be the weakest position, along with LB’s,
    this year. We have some depth, but may lack Big-12 ready players. Due to our poor pass rush last year and youth, players like Maggitt, McDonough, etc may see some time. Lack of size makes me wish Haughton was moved to defense. One thing is clear, DE is a big need in the upcoming class.

LB:
    Bibbs- Good speed. Saw time last year, and should be improved. Has he picked up the defense, and is he big enough in the run game?

D.S.- Walk-on that is similar to Smith.

LB:
    Smith- Solid. Lacks the big-time player physical attributes, but it is doubtful we will have anyone that can out-play him on Saturdays the next two years.

C.B- I put him here because of his size. Maybe he is more of an outside LB. Is he ready mentally?

LB:
    Garrin- Undersized, but decent athlete. Not a lot of experience. Needs to step up.

Raven- See above.

This position really concerns me. We lack size, experience, and in some spots speed. I
    would say depth is a concern, but we really don’t know if we have Big-12 caliber
    starters let alone reserves. We are fairly young so there is hope for the future.

CB:
    Bell- Size and speed. Played a lot last year. IF he keeps improving his skills, could be All Big-12.

McDowell- May be a more natural CB than Bell, but lacks size. If Bell slips, could start.

CB:
    Banks- I am probably buying too much into the hype here, as I have a JUCO taking a starting job from a 2 year starter. I just like his physicalness and play making ability.

Singleton- Known commodity. Some say he lacks the instincts of a top-self CB.

S:
    Smith- Decent player that was improving late last year. Lacks size and I question if he will ever be a good ball-hawking safety.

Hunley- Good sized senior. I hope he can be serviceable enough to allow us to redshirt the frosh.

S:
    Johnson- Is bigger than last year. I question his play making ability. Too bad he could not have redshirted as a frosh.

Sandvig? I do not know who to put here, maybe a frosh. Hopefully Brown can make it back soon, but how effective will he be.

Is that you, Bolt?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.