Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 0

DE position

Not to get ahead of myself, but what are we going to do the next few years at the DE position?

Rumor is that both McDonough and Lang have already been moved inside. Taylor, Frere and Ferguson will have graduated. We will start Lyle and Parker as seniors I would guess next year, and Maggitt is all I see left on the roster?

We will have a lot of guys on the interior as far as I can see, but no DE's. Will we need to bring in a couple JUCO's and a couple freshmen next year? Or do you see us moving someone like Hammerschmidt over to DE?

Obviously the coaching staff has something in mind because I don't see why you would move both McDonough and Lang inside without having something in mind for the DE over the next several years?

Thoughts?

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Re: DE position

I was pretty confident that Jake would be heading inside. He just isn't explosive enough to stay outside, and he already has the size to be a stud on the inside because he does posses above average athleticism, especially for a DT. As far as the future goes, I'm sure the staff would love to snag a talented DE. It's probably been our weakest position since Jason found himself in trouble. However, the DL is about as tough as it gets to recruit for. It's especially tough to find a difference maker at DE coming out of Juco or high school so I'm a tad scared about depth.

Maggit seems to be the type of raw athlete that can be that guy in a couple of years so it's always nice to have someone you can point to for the future. However, we need to find him a friend or two as well as a couple to fill the gap until he's ready.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

It seemed like McCarney always had problems recruiting stud DEs out of high school. Hayward and Berryman (and to a lesser extent Tyson Smith) were all terrific once they put on a few pounds, but they were about all McCarney had during his 12 years. Let's hope Chizik and his staff can steal some recruits as I don't think ISU will go bowling again until we have another dominant pass rusher. The jury is still out on Taylor.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 319
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 114

What about moving Cameron Bell to DE?!? But yeah, the coaches do need to address the DE position. I used to be worried about the DT spot, now it looks like were set with the likees of McDonough, Laing, Ruempolhamer, Black etc.

#BEATIOWA

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I think that DE wil probably be one of the biggest priorities for this recruiting class. They should have two starters in Lyle and Parker (assuming one switches over to Taylor's spot). But Maggitt is really the only backup. I look for them to grab 1-2 JUCOs and at least two HS recruits.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Will Slifka still be here or not? If I remember right from the spring game and news he was in there was Nick Frere was out?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 6

i wouldnt mind having a DE about 220-230 if he was athletic and fast coming out of highschool, has to be pretty strong and kno how to play low to

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Whats wrong with having a beast like McDoungh at DE...He would be more of a Strong side power rusher instead of a speed rush end. If he could stay at 275 and gain some mobility, he could be a monster on the end.

Plus he is way too tall to play DT...Gaurds would get under him so quick that he wouldn't be able to gain leverage

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89

I guess you'd have to ask the coaches why McDonough would be better on the inside. Michael Tate is pretty tall too but they seem ok with having him in the middle.

The Marshall Decommit really hurt. It'd be very nice to have him in the fold for next season.