Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Outsiders Take on ISU's 08 Season

Hello ISU fans,

It's almost that time again, less than 3 weeks away from the start of the best sport in the world. Here's my take on your ISU cyclones as the season approaches.

I'm not going to do a game by game prognostication, instead provide a couple of opinions on the upcoming ISU season while living in Des Moines.

I can't see a strength anywhere on this team. Something that you can rely on week in and week out all year long.

I see a below average offense (10-12 in the big XII) for the upcoming season. I think the ISU offense is a year away from being good. Young OL, QB will cause inconsistency this year. Teams will stack the line in order to take away the run. If one of your new receivers steps up as a deep threat, that should help the overall offense, and loosen up the types of fronts you will see.

I see a below average defense (8-10 in the big XII). Loosing Tuba will greatly hurt your run defense this upcoming year. I see your pass rush being a little better, but not much. If that's the case, and ISU can't put pressure on opposing QBs, the pass defense will struggle again this year. ACE was the heart and soul of the D last year, and will be greatly missed. Special teams will struggle due to the youth.

Overall, I see 3-5 wins for 2008. I will be watching your young OL & DL throughout the year to #1) see what kind of talent is there #2) see how much they improve. I see ISU being much improved next year, unfortunately ISU will have A&M, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska on the road in 2009.

I would have bought two of the cy's pack and gone to the Nebraska game, but I fractured my ankle last week playing softball.

Good luck this year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Outsiders Take on ISU's 08 Season

October 18th will provide all the analysis you will need.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 906
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 129

Oct. 18th the day fuskers wake up

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

I might go to the Husker board and predict 3-5 wins for them and see what happens to me. You are certainly entitled to your opinon but there is a reason they actually play the games and don't rely on expert pre season analysis to decide how the season pans out.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 55

I can't see a strength anywhere on this team.
    Lawls. We're pretty stacked at RB.

Like was said by another poster in this thread, maybe I'll go make a post like this on a Fusker board and predict 3-5 wins and see how that goes over. I wouldn't be making anything up, because my true prediction for them is 3-5 wins.

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 360

Quote Originally Posted by NU Follower View Post
    Hello ISU fans,
    I can't see a strength anywhere on this team. Something that you can rely on week in and week out all year long.
    I'd have to agree that we can rely on you not seeing a strength in this team all season long.

I also think that we can rely on seeing the Pinkshirt Defense all season long from the Huskers. How's that for an "outsider opinion"?

I think that you underestimate both the talent and learning curve of our players, and most especially, our quarterbacks. A year away from being exceptional, perhaps, but not a year away from being "good".

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 33

i have nothing to add to this post, just wanted this guy to see my avatar.

Husker Hater

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

ALUM2002 -- Maybe it's just me, but if the combination of Scales, Robinson, and Bass is a 'strength' of the team with their career accomplishments and/or statistics, I think you just proved my point.

ACLONE -- Do you think the ISU offense will be better then 10th in the BIG XII in total yards or points per game?

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 922
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 61

A stable of very good running backs, a QB situation we're all excited about, an O-line that returns the core and that was very good at the end of last season, a very good group of receivers, the entire secondary returning - some of whom may not start this season - both rush ends returning - and a defensive minded coach. We have what looks to be, at least on paper, a dramatic improvement in special teams and depth. An off-season development program that has completely changed the character of the individual players. Recruitment of players into positions that we needed. Maybe not the greatest overall recruiting class, but for what was needed, an excellent recruiting class. McCarney didn't leave the cupboards completely bare, and Chizik has filled in the slots, both through development and new players.

In Cyclone country we're pretty convinced this is the start of the turnaround. We'll have to wait and see how the season works out, but I for one am very much looking forward to October 18th.

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 162

I can't believe I wasted my time reading that post, especially from a NU perspective...

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 33

guys dont read into this too much. lets not forget that kNU is first on every list this guy creates. and then he probably put their second team defense as the second best defense in the conference, etc. because, as we all know, no football team ever on any level will ever compare to those guys from lincoln. and if you dont believe me, just ask them.

Husker Hater

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 360

ACLONE -- Do you think the ISU offense will be better then 10th in the BIG XII in total yards or points per game?
    That's really a trick question, considering all of the powerful, explosive offenses in the conference--tenth in the conference could well be in the top forty nationally.

On the other hand, yes, I could see not only Baylor below our Cyclones, but K-State and perhaps Colorado as well. We might even finish ahead of A&M in their coaching transition season.

A better, more athletic and physical offensive line, talented quarterbacks, a blend of experience and youth at wideout--and Alexander Robinson and J.J. Bass are better than you think. Yes, I'm satisfied with our offense this season.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 265

Actually would take our defense over Nebraska defense. The kNU offense should be pretty good though. I do not think Carl Pelini has as much talent as he needs. The kNu linebackers and front line are not that good as a group. Assante may be the best defensive player .

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    That's really a trick question, considering all of the powerful, explosive offenses in the conference--tenth in the conference could well be in the top forty nationally.

On the other hand, yes, I could see not only Baylor below our Cyclones, but K-State and perhaps Colorado as well. We might even finish ahead of A&M in their coaching transition season.

A better, more athletic and physical offensive line, talented quarterbacks, a blend of experience and youth at wideout--and Alexander Robinson and J.J. Bass are better than you think. Yes, I'm satisfied with our offense this season.
    But that's point I'm trying to make in my initial post. ISU may be pretty decent on offense, but only 10-12 in the Big XII in scoring. If that's the case and the ISU defense doesn't look to be great in any one area (DL, LB or DB). That's why I see problems.

The Big XII has really changed and is an explosive offensive league with 10 or 11 returning starters coming back at QB. ISU will have a difficult time being as good defensively this year as they were last year. If that's the case, I can't see more than 2 conference wins for the clones.

It's a little different way of looking at things.

Last edited by NU Follower; 08-10-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 265

But that's point I'm trying to make in my initial post. ISU may be pretty decent on offense, but only 10-12 in the Big XII in scoring. If that's the case and the ISU defense doesn't look to be great in any one area (DL, LB or DB). That's why I see problems.

The Big XII has really changed and is an explosive offensive league with 10 or 11 returning starters coming back at QB. ISU will have a difficult time being as good defensively this year as they were last year. If that's the case, I can't see more than 2 conference wins for the clones.

It's a little different way of looking at things.

Similarly, I expect kNu to improve some on defense and not be quite as good on offense - so a wash. If kNu gets as many yeard this year, they will have to be superlative.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.