Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 609

Newcomers

From the training camp update from yesterday:

Camp Central: Defense Wins Second Scrimmage - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - Iowa State Cyclones Sports

Despite all of the "reading between the lines", I found this statement by Coach Chizik to be very promising:

“Kennard Banks (Jr., CB), Leonard Johnson (Fr., DB), Sedrick Johnson (Fr., WR) are showing up and doing well,” Chizik said. “Hayworth Hicks (So., OL), Darius Darks (Fr., WR), Scott Haughton (Fr., OL) and our young kickers (freshmen Zach Guyer and Grant Mahoney) are among those we might get something out of them this year.”
    Most have been noticed, though some assumed from the reports that Sed wasn't doing as well as Darius Darks. Personally, I was a little hesitant of Darius playing this Fall because he's listed as 6-1 167--and people made fun of Wallace Franklin because he's so skinny.

Indeed, I was thinking that Darks, as well as Lonzie Range (6-3 174), Jerome Tiller (6-4 179) and Judah Linder (6-0 170) would all benefit from a year of strength and conditioning before facing the rigors of the Big XII. However, if he's ready to play, he's ready to play.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 339

Re: Newcomers

Says something about the standing talent level when that many skinny freshman are ready to play. I love how he is upgrading talent at a lot of positions.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    From the training camp update from yesterday:

Camp Central: Defense Wins Second Scrimmage - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - Iowa State Cyclones Sports

Despite all of the "reading between the lines", I found this statement by Coach Chizik to be very promising:

Most have been noticed, though some assumed from the reports that Sed wasn't doing as well as Darius Darks. Personally, I was a little hesitant of Darius playing this Fall because he's listed as 6-1 167--and people made fun of Wallace Franklin because he's so skinny.
    The few negatives about Darks from his high school years were his injuries and his tendency to try to do too much by himself. As the most talented athlete...along with Chase Harper...on the team, the second thing is not too surprising. He knew everyone was looking to him to work some kind of magic and he somethimes tried too hard to do that. Can't fault the effort, for sure.

He is very football smart, has a fearless streak and is a hard hitter with good speed. I suspect the reason he wanted a shot at WR rather than DB is because he knows he's not the biggest guy on the field and maybe has a better chance to stay healthy at WR. I don't know that for a fact...just makes sense to me.

He still needs to get stronger so he can stay healthy wherever he plays. Expect good things from this kid if he stays focused. He's got the smarts to make it in class but sometimes hasn't shown the discipline with the books. Mentoring and maturity can correct the last thing.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    Says something about the standing talent level when that many skinny freshman are ready to play. I love how he is upgrading talent at a lot of positions.
    What gets my attention is that he's able to upgrade talent where it needs to be upgraded. Offensive line is talent depleted, in comes Baysinger, Osemele, Haughton and Hicks. Corner is thin, we see Banks, Johnson, Benton and Linder. Wide receiver? Johnson, Darks and Range are hardly chopped liver. The list goes on.

Of course, he hasn't succeeded everywhere. Losing D.J. Marshall last January had to hurt, and I wish that Cameron Bell had some young phenom friends--as Curtiz Mathis might have been. Have we had a story on him yet? I am encouraged that Kevin Hamlin had a couple of nice plays in coverage, but it's way too early to tell about him and Ernest ferguson. However, at least Garrin, Raven, Smith and Schmidgall all have two more years to play.

And I really want to see a young playmaking safety, with a lot of speed.

Is that too much to ask?

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Pflug1 View Post
    He's got the smarts to make it in class but sometimes hasn't shown the discipline with the books. Mentoring and maturity can correct the last thing.

I heard much the same thing from someone in Florida who knew Chris Singleton when he signed. Nearly four years later, Chris is still eligible and playing (and i'm still keeping my fingers crossed). Still, that's promising news for darius.

Starter
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 678
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    I heard much the same thing from someone in Florida who knew Chris Singleton when he signed. Nearly four years later, Chris is still eligible and playing (and i'm still keeping my fingers crossed). Still, that's promising news for darius.
    Has anyone seen any mention of Chris from fall camp? I haven't. Makes me wonder what's up.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,301
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 155

Quote Originally Posted by bfross View Post
    Has anyone seen any mention of Chris from fall camp? I haven't. Makes me wonder what's up.
    he looked like our best CB at the spring game, IMO. But thats only one game/scrimmage.

#BEATIOWA

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I think that Darks offers something that our other WRs don't: elusiveness. He can make someone miss and gain extra yards. I'm still hoping that he redshirts, but I wouldn't be upset if he plays...of course he could probably help a lot on special teams.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX