Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

4th running back kicking some ...

Per the updates, sounds like Harris is having a good fall camp...

Camp Central: Defense Wins Second Scrimmage - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - Iowa State Cyclones Sports

I know that many of you have favorites, however, I don't give a rip if it is the guy who cleans the cleats that is gaining the yardage.... Seems to me that we are going to have 4 running backs that will offer different looks and rythms that will cause the D's problems! I really think we are going to surprise people this year. By game 3 or 4 I think it will be apparent if so or not.

Z

Last edited by zach; 08-10-2008 at 10:08 AM.
    The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 356

Re: 4th running back kicking some ...

Would be nice to have 4 guys contribute, but I just don't see Harris doing much unless other guys get hurt.

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,365
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 209

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    I really thing we are going to surprise people this year. By game 3 or 4 I think it will be apparent if so or not.

Z
    pretty safe bet any year, we usually know most of what we need by then.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    pretty safe bet any year, we usually know most of what we need by then.

Well, yes and no..... Last year we didn't really show anything till the last few games in my opinion. The kids finally started putting things together. I guess all I was saying is that we should know more, earlier this year. Yes I am not going out on a limb but just being hopeful! :)

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 609

Gotta love Jason Harris for switching positions for the best interest of the team.

Had he transferred to a MAC/WAC/MWEST school he would have been quite a stud IMO.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,371
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 15

JJ Bass reinstated is good news : )

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Having 4 capable backs is a great problem to have! We can really cause some headaches with fresh legs, 2 back and 3 back sets. Imagine split back sets with JJ and Robinson next to each other. ISU did that in 2000 when they had Ennis and Michael Wagner.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

I heard from someone on the football team that the offense is looking damn good in practice. He says the QB battle is awesome and they both determined to win the job, however, he thinks Arnaud is going to win the starting job. He says defense needs to pick it up quite a bit and they have some **** 2 work out. He also mentioned that Arnaud and Bates switch everyday working with the 1's

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 609

Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    I heard from someone on the football team that the offense is looking damn good in practice. He says the QB battle is awesome and they both determined to win the job, however, he thinks Arnaud is going to win the starting job. He says defense needs to pick it up quite a bit and they have some **** 2 work out. He also mentioned that Arnaud and Bates switch everyday working with the 1's

I just hope it is not the lack of D that is making us look ok. I keep praying that we will really like the defensive front seven we see on Aug 28th.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,529
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 304
    Given: 135

I think for pure speed Harris is the man. Unfortunately, he is missing something in the eyes of the coaches. Most likely it is catching the ball, or holding on to the ball. It would be nice if they could get him in the game as a flanker like JJ Moses. Of all the talented guys on the team, for some reason, Harris is the guy that the Clones can't find a fit for.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    I think for pure speed Harris is the man. Unfortunately, he is missing something in the eyes of the coaches. Most likely it is catching the ball, or holding on to the ball. It would be nice if they could get him in the game as a flanker like JJ Moses. Of all the talented guys on the team, for some reason, Harris is the guy that the Clones can't find a fit for.
    I never understood what was missing with Harris either?

Z

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 878

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    I just hope it is not the lack of D that is making us look ok. I keep praying that we will really like the defensive front seven we see on Aug 28th.
    I already like the defensive front seven--I just wish people would stop harping on it.

There is a lot of talent there, depth and flexibilty, and it looks like a position that offered little last year (rush end) is going to be very productive with Lyle and Parker. The linebackers are starting to suggest that we won't miss last season's starters at all--Cameron Bell will have people saying "Alvin who?" before too very long. And DT has a lot of diverse talents.

No one mentions safety depth, now that worries me. Of course, with the corners playing so well, i'm sure someone could switch in a pinch.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 555
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 79

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    I already like the defensive front seven--I just wish people would stop harping on it.

There is a lot of talent there, depth and flexibilty, and it looks like a position that offered little last year (rush end) is going to be very productive with Lyle and Parker. The linebackers are starting to suggest that we won't miss last season's starters at all--Cameron Bell will have people saying "Alvin who?" before too very long. And DT has a lot of diverse talents.

No one mentions safety depth, now that worries me. Of course, with the corners playing so well, i'm sure someone could switch in a pinch.
    I really want to believe this but you are taking an incredible leap without these guys playing significant minutes in the Big 12.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 878

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    I really want to believe this but you are taking an incredible leap without these guys playing significant minutes in the Big 12.
    Define "significant minutes". Frere started two years ago, and at the beginning of the season, and he's lost about twenty pounds. Bailey Johnson was a primary reserve as a redshirt freshman. Jerrod Black was redshirting--which is a far cry from saying he wasn't good enough to be playing. Austin Alburtis was still recovering from knee surgery, Chris Weir and Michael Tate (as well as Chris Lyle) adapting to Big XII football after juco--not an easy step for most.

At linebacker, Michael Bibbs and Josh Raven were the primary reserves at linebacker, and saw decent minutes. Fred Garrin has stepped up his game (as well as adding a few pounds) in a big way, and all three were behind experienced seniors. For that matter, Cameron Bell has been described as a physical freak, and he played a lot on special teams last year. Forgive him for not playing more minutes at linebacker, but he was not only behind both Bowen and Bibbs (Killer B's?), he spent most of camp last year playing running back.

Indeed, Parker and Lyle are my biggest worry in the front seven (aside from Jesse Smith's limitations), and Lyle looks like he's pushing Parker to a whole new level, and each is learning from the other.

Indeed, I exect the pass rush to be better not only because of the likes of Lyle, Black and Alburtis, it looks like they're using Garrin, Bibbs and Bell to blitz much more.

Frankly, if these guys didn't play "significant minutes", it's only because they were very young, inexperienced, and playing behind seasoned seniors. Were you really going to take the likes of Rubin or Bowen off the field? Especially because they deserved to be playing?

Sure, they all have to learn how to play together. That's what Spring and Summer practice is for. But there's a reason I'm not really concerned about the front seven. There's a lot of talent there--and they're playing hard.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

maccarney ruined jason harris.jason fumbled once and mac put him on defense.no better way to ruin a kid's confidence than reward him by switching him from offense to defense.chizik may see some long runs by jason this coming fall by bringing him back to the offensive side of the ball.good luck jason.

doc