Received: 0
    Given: 0

Harbaugh mum about interest in coaching Iowa State

IOWA STATE FOOTBALL
    Harbaugh mum about interest in coaching Iowa State

Coach now leading 10-0 San Diego

By Jeff Johnson

The Gazette

Jim Harbaugh was chatty when contacted at his office last night.
    He reminisced about living

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

in Iowa City as a kid for three years when his father, Jack, was an assistant football coach at the University of Iowa. He brought up a story about meeting track and field legend Jesse Owens
    there, obtaining his autograph.
    ‘‘I remember him telling me I was the only kid who said thank you,’’ Harbaugh said.
    The former NFL quarterback said he has been back here several times, and not just as the University of Michigan’s quarterback or as head football coach at the University of San Diego, a team in the same conference as Drake that played in Des Moines in October.
    Harbaugh said he has friends in Cedar Rapids, including an old college roommate.
    He wondered what the weather was like when a reporter told him where he was calling from.
    But when the subject of the open Iowa State head football coaching job came up, Harbaugh clammed up and had absolutely nothing to say. Except two sentences he repeated over and over. ‘‘I don’t know what the future holds,’’ Harbaugh said. ‘‘I’m having a lot of fun coaching this team.’’
    Harbaugh, 42, is considered a candidate for the Iowa State job, which officially opens after Saturday’s season
    finale against Missouri. Dan McCarney announced his resignation last week after 12 seasons.
    Harbaugh had no comment when asked if he has been contacted by Iowa State Athletics Director Jamie Pollard, or if he has a weekend interview set up with ISU.
    ‘‘I don’t know what the future holds,’’ he repeated. ‘‘I’m having a lot of fun coaching this team.’’
    San Diego is on the verge of becoming the first nonscholarship team to qualify for the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs. The Toreros have
    finished the season at 10-0 as Pioneer Football League champions and are ranked 14th. They will find out Sunday if they make the I-AA postseason. That kind of success and his NFL background have made Harbaugh a hot coaching commodity.
    Perhaps one Iowa State is interested in?
    ‘‘I don’t know what the future holds. I’m having a lot of fun coaching this team.’’ WOI-TV in Ames reported Tuesday night that Iowa State has contacted Central Michigan head coach Brian Kelly. He also is considered
    a possibility to replace John L. Smith at Michigan State. Denver Broncos assistant coach Tim Brewster is widely considered a possible Iowa State candidate, as are two former McCarney assistants: Arizona Cardinals offensive line coach Steve Loney and University of Nebraska assistant coach Jay Norvell.
    Pollard and ISU officials have repeatedly said they will not talk about the coaching search, including when they expect it to conclude

Contact the writer: (319) 398-8259 or jeff. johnson@gazettecommunications.com

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Harbaugh mum about interest in coaching Iowa State

hmmmm. His responses sound very similiar to JP's when asked about the search.

Chizik.jpg