Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162

New Football Coach: Firing the next guy before hes hired?

Ok, so the title is a bit extreme, however – I’m quite frustrated with the slamming of candidates we’re supposedly looking at. When I look at about every guy mentioned, I think – “He can help us out by….”. Each has something they can bring to the Cyclone table.

I have not found the perfect guy. A perfect coach is not going to come to ISU right now – it’s just a fact. Heck, is there even such a thing as a perfect coach anyways?

Well, we seemed to think there was during the basketball search and before things were announced – his name was not Greg McDermott. We all thought Jeter would be the guy and many of us wanted him as badly as Maurice Clarett wanted into the NFL early. Maurice is in a different “league” and Jeter is not in Ames. Many fans were quite disappointed that Jeter wasn't the next coach - or maybe more-so that our guy ended up being G-Mac.

But look how it all worked out for ISU. Greg McDermott, the guy not many thought ISU would go after nor did we really want – lands in Ames and takes it by storm. Greg wants to be here. He brings in a ’06 recruiting class on short notice that has the ability to compete this year and be very special in the years to come. His ’07 class also looks very solid. He’s got a young team winning games early – more than last year’s semi-veteran team was able to accomplish.

So, I ask you to put faith in Jamie Pollard. As of today, it looks like he made the right choice by landing G-Mac. He did the perfect thing for wrestling and got Sanderson at the helm before he left for somewhere else.

What do we have to go on that could lead us to believe Pollard won’t get the best guy for ISU football? So far, I can’t see anything.

Rally around our fearless leader in Pollard folks. It’s going to be one helluva ride!

Last edited by ISUFan22; 11-16-2006 at 08:39 AM.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: New Football Coach: Firing the next guy before hes hired?

Amen, brother.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdave View Post
    Amen, brother.
    Hallelujah and AMEN.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I think the reason that people tear down certain candidates (Harbaugh comes to mind) is so much talk builds up about how he could/may/will be the next head coach, and if people think there is a better candidate, or if they just don't this anointing of him before he even gets the job, they will point out the guy's faults and such.

Seems like more of a defense mechanism than anything real substantial.