Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Ground Hog Day

I came home this afternoon and found a ground hog in my trap. I put it out a couple of days ago and had a couple of stare down encouters with the rodent, but he didn't seem interested in the peach I left for him.

The stare down on Tuesday was hilarious. I was walking around the pool and thought there was a problem with the pump so I go to check it out. When I got to the fence gate, which is 5 feet from the filter, I could tell everything was fine, but there he was. Busy licking the concrete pad where the pool equipment was. So I froze and watched him for about 10 minutes. Every once and a while he would look up and stare toward the sound coming from a nearby road. But then he'd go right back to licking. Keep in mind he is only 4 or 5 feet away, so I must keep very still.

After 10 minutes of this an insect lands on my head and I need to swat it, but I don't dare move. The rodent turns his back and gives me a chance, but the turns back and now I'm frozen like a mannequin with my hand on the back of my head. Now he seems to notice me so I stay as still as possible. He stares, the looks away for a second, but quickly stares again. Eventually he goes behind the heater, so can put my arm down. Then he emerges from the other side of the heater where he can see me again.

We continue the staredown for a couple more minutes. I'm don't think he is sure whether I am a threat or just part of the fence. He stays between the heater and the house and is about 2 feet from the corner of the house. Around that corner is the deck, under which he has apparently has taken up residence. Then he make one move and I about bust a gut. He took one step like he was walking on eggshells. He stepped like a human would trying to quietly sneak up on somebody. After about 10 seconds and other sneaky step, followed by a pause. Then another. Once more and he's at the corner of the house. He takes that last step, see home plate and decides to steal. He takes off running like a ground hog out of ...well...you get the idea.

The entire stare-down incident was hilarious. So I put the trap out, and two days and one peach later, I have him caged. I'm off on a little road trip to the wildlife refuge near the river by Palo, where mister sneaky-feet ground hog will be taking up a new residence.

First score of the year. A family of foxes has kept the wildlife population down this year in the backyard.

Box score:
    2006: 5, 7, 7, 1 = 20 (racoons, possums, ground hogs, rabbit)
    2007: 0, 1, 6, 0 = 07
    2008: 0, 0, 1, 0 = 01

Last edited by Psyclone; 08-07-2008 at 02:05 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 12

Re: Ground Hog Day

Congratulations!

Do you do moles? If so, come on up to Michigan and I'll set you loose in mole heaven.

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Be berry berry quite, I'm hunting Ground Hogs.

Doesn't have the same ring to it.

"Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 870
    Given: 619

Quote Originally Posted by CyGuy33 View Post
    Be berry berry quite, I'm hunting Ground Hogs.

Doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Sounds better if you pronounce it gwoundhawgs instead...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,502
    Given: 139

when I was in elementary school, I experienced an incident involving a groundhog. It seems that the critter was hanging around our front door one morning before school. It appeared to be pretty sick; just kind of listing around and drooling a lot. My father wouldn't let us get on the school bus because he was worried that it had rabies and would bite us. So, he went outside with a garden hoe to try to chase it away. As soon as it saw him, it went into full on attack mode and started coming at him. My dad, kept backing up in circles, trying to push it away with the hoe, but it kept coming forward, hissing and drooling. This went on for what seemed like days. By now, my siblings and I were watching intently from the kitchen window, our dogs were going nuts trying to get outside, and the school bus was at the end of our lane honking the horn with about 40 eyes locked on this little spectacle. My mother, (normally quite the pacifist) was pleading with him to "Just kill it!!!! Kill it!!! Kill it!!!" (I don't care how old you are, it's kind of surreal to hear your mother call for blood like that.)
    So my father, took a big whack at the groundhog with the hoe. The hoe came down on top of its head and "ended things" pretty effectively. Too effectively, as it turned out, because the force of the blow caused a good sized contingent of tongue, teeth, drool and blood, to be expelled from the beast's mouth at considerable velocity. This mass of tissue and fluid was propelled at such an angle that it struck my father in the face and mouth causing him to excessively curse, spit, vomit and curse some more. My siblings and I were able to get on the school bus after this, and were celebrated as heroes for having a "really tough dad." My father, meanwhile had to go to the emergency room to get tested for rabies. All in all a good morning.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jdewaard View Post
    All in all a good morning.
    Both great stories... but I especially enjoyed yours jd.

Starter
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IsUaClone2 View Post
    Congratulations!

Do you do moles? If so, come on up to Michigan and I'll set you loose in mole heaven.
    Yes, I do moles and use to use a different scoring system. It was how many I caught and how many got away when the trap went off. The best mole trap I've found is the spring loaded prongs. The key is to find a straight, fresh run. Then dig your heel in to one area so you can get the trip paddle lower in the ground. Then plant the trap with the prongs extended their full length. Sometimes you need to step on the top to get them to go into hard ground. Then set the trap.

With the above method, you will get them every time as long as the run is fresh and straight.

Now, the reason I don't trap moles anymore, is that I treated my lawn with Milky Spore. I read about it many years ago, but for a lawn that is nearly 2 acres, it was prohibitively expensive. It is still expensive, but has come down a lot. Like half or a third of what it used to be. Anyway this stuff is put on a spoonful at a time 3 feet apart like a checkerboard. It takes a few years to become fully effective as the grubs spread the bad stuff. (Moles eat grubs. Get rid of the grubs, the moles dine elsewhere.) It is supposed to last 15 years or so. I am now probably 3 or 4 years into it and it seems to have made a big difference. There are a few areas this year that I need to treat again, but I haven't set a trap in a couple of years.

Mole trapping is good fun. But you need to get out in the yard to identify the new runs right away for best trapping results. If it hasn't sprung within 24 hours, then your better off trying again somewhere else.

Starter
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdewaard View Post
    when I was in elementary school, I experienced an incident involving a groundhog. It seems that the critter was hanging around our front door one morning before school. It appeared to be pretty sick; just kind of listing around and drooling a lot. My father wouldn't let us get on the school bus because he was worried that it had rabies and would bite us. So, he went outside with a garden hoe to try to chase it away. As soon as it saw him, it went into full on attack mode and started coming at him. My dad, kept backing up in circles, trying to push it away with the hoe, but it kept coming forward, hissing and drooling. This went on for what seemed like days. By now, my siblings and I were watching intently from the kitchen window, our dogs were going nuts trying to get outside, and the school bus was at the end of our lane honking the horn with about 40 eyes locked on this little spectacle. My mother, (normally quite the pacifist) was pleading with him to "Just kill it!!!! Kill it!!! Kill it!!!" (I don't care how old you are, it's kind of surreal to hear your mother call for blood like that.)
    So my father, took a big whack at the groundhog with the hoe. The hoe came down on top of its head and "ended things" pretty effectively. Too effectively, as it turned out, because the force of the blow caused a good sized contingent of tongue, teeth, drool and blood, to be expelled from the beast's mouth at considerable velocity. This mass of tissue and fluid was propelled at such an angle that it struck my father in the face and mouth causing him to excessively curse, spit, vomit and curse some more. My siblings and I were able to get on the school bus after this, and were celebrated as heroes for having a "really tough dad." My father, meanwhile had to go to the emergency room to get tested for rabies. All in all a good morning.
    LOL. Rep for you! Great story.