Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Police busts

I like the cops and have nothing against them. But it’s exactly this kind of story that makes people distrust law enforcement.

From Cato and the Washington Post:

A police SWAT team raided the home of the mayor in the Prince George’s County town of Berwyn Heights on Tuesday, shooting and killing his two dogs, after he brought in a 32-pound package of marijuana that had been delivered to his doorstep, police said.

…[Prince George’s police spokesman Henry] Tippett said police are working to determine for whom the drugs were meant.

“My government blew through my doors and killed my dogs,” Calvo said. “They thought we were drug dealers, and we were treated as such. I don’t think they really ever considered that we weren’t.”

Calvo described a chaotic scene, in which he — wearing only underwear and socks — and his mother-in-law were handcuffed and interrogated for hours. They were surrounded by the dogs’ carcasses and pools of the dogs’ blood, Calvo said.

…The investigation that led police to their house in the 8500 block of Edmonston Road began in Arizona, officials said. There, a police dog at a shipping facility identified the package as being filled with marijuana. Prince George’s officers posed as deliverymen and brought it to Calvo’s home.

Calvo said he came home early from work Tuesday. While walking the dogs, Calvo said, he noticed several black sport-utility vehicles and a woman parked in a car down the street. “I figured someone was having a party,” he recalled. It was the police. They were watching, waiting for someone to bring the package into the house.

As Calvo returned to the house, he said, he spotted the large package that his mother-in-law had told a deliveryman to leave on the porch. He placed it on a buffet table near the front door and went upstairs to change.

“I brought it inside because I figured it was something we’d gotten for the garden,” he said. Moments later, just after he had undressed, Calvo said, he heard his mother-in-law scream that someone was coming toward the house. He looked out his bedroom window and saw officers in SWAT gear running across the lawn

“I heard a loud crash and then ‘bang, bang, bang,’ ” he said, recalling the sounds of the police shooting the dogs. “I hit the floor.

As the police came in, Calvo said, they shot his 7-year-old black Labrador retriever, Payton, near the front door and then his 4-year-old dog, Chase, also a black Lab, as the dog ran into a back room.

Links:
    http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2008/...ore-dead-dogs/

Some Doubt Mayor's Tie to Drugs - washingtonpost.com

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Police busts

Perfect example of "closed-loop thinking". Back in the '90s, the US Air Force shot down a UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter flown by the US Army in the "no fly zone" in Northern Iraq, because, according to the Air Force pilots "it satisfied the shoot-down criteria checklist".

Apparently, nowhere on the checklist did it say to "not shoot down UH-60 Blackhawks" so they went ahead and shot it down, despite high performance jet aircraft really not being that vulnerable to helicopters, and the fact that they could've flown close enough to visually identify it with relative impunity.

Same thing with SWAT teams, and police forces. Talk to any police officer, and the great majority of them want to do "high speed para-military" stuff. Unfortunately, good policing has very little to do with para-military operations.

Currently, soft-policing is out of style, and the money is flowing toward the esoteric, as is the training effort, so this is the crap you get.

The SWAT mentality makes leaders decide to use the teams whenever they can. Whether it makes sense or not.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 14

I love the fact that they didn't have a warrant to raid the house. Which means even if these people are guilty they just screwed up any chance of being able to prosecute them for it.

And since they had to be so trigger happy, and break the law in their raid, they will likely get sued and lose and cost the tax payers money.

I say there needs to be some firings in whoever organized this, but they will likely just get paid vacation instead.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 114

Bring on the lawsuits. In this case it would appear to be well deserved.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    I love the fact that they didn't have a warrant to raid the house. Which means even if these people are guilty they just screwed up any chance of being able to prosecute them for it.

And since they had to be so trigger happy, and break the law in their raid, they will likely get sued and lose and cost the tax payers money.

I say there needs to be some firings in whoever organized this, but they will likely just get paid vacation instead.
    Actually, they didn't need a warrant, once the dude took the package into the house. If the cops catch you in the act, they don't need a warrant.

But WTF, why do you need to go all SWAT on him over a box of marijuana? Whether it's his or not, it sounds amazingly like disproportionate use of force.

Here's a better idea: put a few people around the house to keep him from running off, and then just knock on his freaking door!

Then, you can take him in on suspicion, or even charge him with the crime.

Idiots....

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Actually, they didn't need a warrant, once the dude took the package into the house. If the cops catch you in the act, they don't need a warrant.

But WTF, why do you need to go all SWAT on him over a box of marijuana? Whether it's his or not, it sounds amazingly like disproportionate use of force.

Here's a better idea: put a few people around the house to keep him from running off, and then just knock on his freaking door!

Then, you can take him in on suspicion, or even charge him with the crime.

Idiots....
    I am just going off of what the article said.

They said they had obtained a search warrant for the house, but they did not have a warrant to bust into house without knocking and guns a blazing.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I'm not questioning the police, I'm wondering what he and his mother-in-law were doing in the house alone.

“There have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.”

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,339
    Given: 937

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    I am just going off of what the article said.

They said they had obtained a search warrant for the house, but they did not have a warrant to bust into house without knocking and guns a blazing.
    I'm no law expert, but is there such a thing?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am not a law expert either I am just quoting what the article said. So according to that there are 2 different types of search warrants

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

So I'm going to ask a wild question: why were the drugs being sent to that guy’s house if everyone in that house was innocent? Drugs just don’t get sent to the wrong address. I agree with Phaedrus comments, to an extent, but drug dealers are known for booby trapping and being heavily armed. I would say, if they did anything wrong, it is that they did not get enough information before they went in. I see nothing wrong with how they did it; they just should have made sure before hand- which maybe they did.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    So I'm going to ask a wild question: why were the drugs being sent to that guy’s house if everyone in that house was innocent? Drugs just don’t get sent to the wrong address. I agree with Phaedrus comments, to an extent, but drug dealers are known for booby trapping and being heavily armed. I would say, if they did anything wrong, it is that they did not get enough information before they went in. I see nothing wrong with how they did it; they just should have made sure before hand- which maybe they did.
    If you want to ruin someone’s life put a bunch of drugs in a package, address it to your enemy, and ship it. The authorities might not even ask questions, they’ll just be kicking down doors, killin’ dogs, and ruining lives.

The real issue is whether it is appropriate to send a SWAT team into private homes, handcuffing the occupants at gunpoint, and slaughtering the family pets—all over the mere receipt of a mailed package of weed. I doubt it.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 533
    Given: 150

Killing his dogs, destroying his property, and handcuffing them during a several hour interogation over a BOX OF FREAKIN WEED is another example of how ridiculous the drug laws in this country are...

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,339
    Given: 937

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Killing his dogs, destroying his property, and handcuffing them during a several hour interogation over a BOX OF FREAKIN WEED is another example of how ridiculous the drug laws in this country are...
    No, drug laws aren't ridiculous - overzealous police officers, on the other hand, are.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 638

I am guessing there is more to this story. There always is. While I do believe in decriminalization of marijuana, for the time being it is a drug and thus illegal. Why did the guy just happen to be coming home when he did? Why did they put the package inside the door and just leave it there? This is standard practice for delivery drugs. Plausible deniability: "I don't know what is in it or why it came to me".

I am guessing we will find out quite a bit more. I would wonder what the guy's bank accounts look like.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here is more to the story.

Another quote from original article

Not only did the police not have a warrant to conduct a no-knock raid, but it now appears they were well-aware that a drug ring was delivering large shipments of marijuana to innocent addressees’ homes in the D.C. suburbs. The packages would then be intercepted by other members of the ring, all without the addressees’ knowledge or involvement.

Then I found this in the washington post:

county police announced the arrest of a deliveryman and another person suspected in a scheme to smuggle hundreds of pounds of marijuana by shipping packages addressed to unsuspecting recipients such as the Calvos.
    washingtonpost.com

So they caught the people who sent the package already.