Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66
  1. #1
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 299,761, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,328
    Points
    299,761
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 2

    New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    Think about this for a second before you get all worked up about this no name recruit who just committed to us.

    A) He hasn't played in quite a while
    B) He is a JUCO
    C) He only has one year to play

    And YET our coaching staff goes after this kid hard. Why do you think that is? I don't know for sure but I am guessing they think this guy is an absolute stud!!! Why else would you offer a guy who has this kind of resume? His JUCO coach even went on to say he went from good to great. Stories like this happen more than people think and he can really help our program out.

    Also I am not trying to compare him to Tinsley and/or Wesley, but how many people had heard of them before they committed. Just b/c nobody knows about you and you don't have stars behind your name doesn't mean you can't be a big time difference maker. I think this kid comes in and is a starter from day one. Only reason I think that is b/c I have no idea why the coaching staff would offer unless they felt the exact same way.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,576, Level: 63
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,549
    Points
    42,576
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 80

    Re: New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    im guessing its more because of the gap we are going to have to fill when injuries take one of our players. hey may be good, but it doubt being an absolute stud was our main reason for pursuit.



  3. #3
    Giving it a go
    Points: 259,520, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chadm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,779
    Points
    259,520
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 107

    Re: New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    Couldn't this have been posted in the the thread about the recruit?


    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,576, Level: 63
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,549
    Points
    42,576
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 80

    Re: New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    no. it was completely necessary to start a new thread. quiet you.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 33,918, Level: 56
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    CycloneWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Urbandale,Ia
    Posts
    3,513
    Points
    33,918
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 25

    Re: New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    so how many years will he have to play with Iowa state



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 20,753, Level: 44
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 897
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    crash_zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tiffin, IA
    Posts
    1,662
    Points
    20,753
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 5

    Re: New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    1 maybe 2



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 18,773, Level: 41
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,405
    Points
    18,773
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 3,735

    Re: New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    I get excited about every single recruit we get, basketball or football. So consider me excited!



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 92,080, Level: 94
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,070
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    5,376
    Points
    92,080
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,252
    Given: 3

    Re: New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Think about this for a second before you get all worked up about this no name recruit who just committed to us.

    A) He hasn't played in quite a while
    B) He is a JUCO
    C) He only has one year to play

    And YET our coaching staff goes after this kid hard. Why do you think that is? I don't know for sure but I am guessing they think this guy is an absolute stud!!! Why else would you offer a guy who has this kind of resume? His JUCO coach even went on to say he went from good to great. Stories like this happen more than people think and he can really help our program out.

    Also I am not trying to compare him to Tinsley and/or Wesley, but how many people had heard of them before they committed. Just b/c nobody knows about you and you don't have stars behind your name doesn't mean you can't be a big time difference maker. I think this kid comes in and is a starter from day one. Only reason I think that is b/c I have no idea why the coaching staff would offer unless they felt the exact same way.
    I'm not fire-hosing you, but for every super secret stealth recruit is an Andrew Skoglund or some other guy that was recruited, offered by career basketball coached then never made so much as a dent.

    I love every kid that dons the uni, but supersecret LeBron James hidden away in JUCOs just can't be too prevalent.



  9. #9
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 299,761, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,328
    Points
    299,761
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 2

    Re: New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    Haha I am not saying this guy is the next LeBron or even Tinsley. All I am saying is that our coaches would have to be really really stupid to go after this guy unless they were sure that he could come in and start from day one. I don't think our coaches are dumb, so I am confident that this guy will end up being a very good recruit for us.

    I was very critical of the staff for signing 7 guys this past recruiting class as I feel it really handcuffed us for the 09 and 2010 seasons. I still feel that way (even more so) but I feel as if this could end up being a home run recruit



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,576, Level: 63
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,549
    Points
    42,576
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 80

    Re: New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    what if hes a 6th man? does that count for starting right away?



  11. #11
    UVA est, ut destruatur
    Points: 852,436, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    60,383
    Points
    852,436
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,678
    Given: 4,746

    Re: New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    I get excited about a recruit because our coaching staff likes them, and they chose my favorite school.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 467,298, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    70,964
    Points
    467,298
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,377
    Given: 2,181

    Re: New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    What is his vertical?


    Let Prohm's Posse Ride: Hallice, Brady, Stu, Lard, Naz, Deonte, Monte, Matt, Simeon, Jordan, and Babb.

  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 40,974, Level: 62
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 676
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    San Francisco Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,001
    Points
    40,974
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I was very critical of the staff for signing 7 guys this past recruiting class as I feel it really handcuffed us for the 09 and 2010 seasons. I still feel that way (even more so) but I feel as if this could end up being a home run recruit
    You can hardly blame the staff for using every scholarship every year. At least until this attrition tradition stops. If nobody leaves after next year, they will probably have to start getting a little more strategic with giving out scholarships. For now, there is no reason to believe that a 4 year scholarship player will be here two years from now. It sucks, but that's the way it is right now. Got to play/recruit for now, and let the future play out...



  14. #14
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 299,761, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,328
    Points
    299,761
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 2

    Re: New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    Quote Originally Posted by AnkenyCy24 View Post
    You can hardly blame the staff for using every scholarship every year. At least until this attrition tradition stops. If nobody leaves after next year, they will probably have to start getting a little more strategic with giving out scholarships. For now, there is no reason to believe that a 4 year scholarship player will be here two years from now. It sucks, but that's the way it is right now. Got to play/recruit for now, and let the future play out...

    You absolutely can blame the coaches for giving out that many scholarships. It put the next 3 recruiting classes out of whack.


    Last edited by Clones85'; 08-06-2008 at 11:44 PM.

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 467,298, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    70,964
    Points
    467,298
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,377
    Given: 2,181

    Re: New BB Commit...Why I'm excited

    I think we need to win now.....for the HB sweepstakes.


    Let Prohm's Posse Ride: Hallice, Brady, Stu, Lard, Naz, Deonte, Monte, Matt, Simeon, Jordan, and Babb.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM