Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

What it will take to beat Iowa this year

Hawkeyenation has a very good thread on what they think is needed to beat ISU this year. Surprisingly balanced opinions and not much chest-thumping banter. So let's start a thread from our perspective:

1. Start strong
    - I don't like our chances if we fall behind early, especially w/ ISU's youth. We have typically beaten them when we get an early lead and gain some momentum.

1.b. Don't turn the ball over or make special teams mistakes early.
    - this is the corrollary to #1. i think this game is so evenly matched that momentum is critical. and i'm still nervous whenever we line up to do anything in special teams -- too many dropped punts, poor kickoff coverage, and missed FGs it seems for years.

2. Spread the field
    - they have talent in their front seven on D but I don't believe they have great team speed. i like our chances w/ the screens, counters, and option pitches that we ran a lot at the end of last season w/ ARob. he will be tough on them in one-on-one matchups in the open field. i think we can also complete plenty of short to intermediate passes like we did last year.

3. Defend the pass
    - i don't think by week 3 Iowa will have a proven running back yet. and their strength is clearly at TE and WR. we have a lot of new faces in the front seven but if we can be tough at the line of scrimmage we can then spread out our OLBs in coverage like we did w/ Banks and Bowen last year. someone has to peel off and run w/ Moaki.

Sidebar: i'm totally psyched about the type of year Allen Bell could have at corner. he's big and can run. i think he's got enough juice to lock down on guys like DJK and Brodell. Will be really fun to watch.

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,621
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 27

Re: What it will take to beat Iowa this year

To "beat" them will be impossible. Look at the last 30 years...it has never happened according to them. But to win the game it won't take much more than what you listed. Actually a big key is if we get up don't let their crowd get back into it. They are very good at big 3rd and 4th quarter comebacks at home especially against us.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 1

I'm going to go with the Hawk sage/shaman Mac MacCausland's actual "Key to Victory" from a basketball game in my formative years.

"Score more"

Yes, he actually, seriously said that.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 992
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

I say do the same thing we did last year!

Their quarterback is marginal and they've lose most of their runningbacks. The do have a seasoned offensive line which should help them.

I think they'll have a hard time scoring points, but unfortunatly I think we will too. This will be a defensive game and they've got home field advantage.

It will be a tough game to win, but I've seen us do it before in Iowa City first hand!

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

1. Stop the run - I don't think Christensen can beat ISU without a solid run game and play action.

2. Don't turn the ball over - ISU's offense will wear them out as long as they don't make stupid mistakes with turnovers that would lead to them falling behind. Basically, ISU cannot put itself in the position where they have to totally abandon the run.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

Force them to beat us with the long pass. Almost all thier big gains are short catches and long runs.

Spread the field, make their front 7 run and wear them out.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

What will it take to beat Iowa:
    a)140 yards rushing
    b)No Special Teams miscues
    c)Win Turnover Battle

if 2 of those 3 things happen, ISU has an 80% chance of winning. 100% chance if all 3 happen.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 40

TWO WORDS: SHOW UP!

Cyclone
    Iowa State became the Cyclones after they leveled Northwestern in 1895. As the Chicago Tribune (9/29/1895) noted:
    'Struck by a Cyclone
    It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town'

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

It is the old addage, but control the line of scrimmage, both on offense and defense. This will let us run and pass effectively and finish drives with touchdowns, not fieldgoals. No turnovers is huge. We have to have positive punt return yards. No three and outs. For the defense: Create two turnovers. Create 4 three and outs. Do not allow more than 150 yards of rushing total for the game. No big plays on blown coverages.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Definitely agree on start strong.

In the wins we've had in the past we took the wind out of their sails from the start.

Also, very common sense but after the strong start we must keep the momentum. In 2006 and last year we had the momentum and then things changed quickly.

Now from more of a technical perspective:

1. Establish a decent running game and hold our own on the line. Their defensive intererior is definitely their strong suit so if we can manage to battle some quality yards out and not get dominated early on I think it will be key to setting the pace of the game.

2. Get a good rush on Christensen. By game 3 he will not have faced our caliber of an opponent. If we can get a good rush on from the ends and scramble him, their passing game will be frazzled. Combine that with an unexperienced running game and we can definitely control the game on defense.

3. QB consistency!!!! We don't need an all-star breakout performance (although it wouldn't hurt) we just need a solid handler to pace the offense and someone who can put together a decent drive. The three and outs and monotonous 3rd and 10's killed me last year. That cannot happen again!

There are many others but that is my two, or three, or four cents worth.

Rookie
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I was just thinking about that since I was just perusing some of thier media day pics.

First, I think we need to continue to play this game with emotion. Iowa's m.o. has been to play with controlled emotion. I don't think that's a winning formula in the college game. Momentum rules college football. ISU has shown as a team that they can use the emotion generated on the field and from coaches to its advantage. I think I saw a kid almost get punched by an Iowa coach last year be cause he celebrated making a huge play. I'm afraid if guys like Norm Parker or Kirk O'keefe jump up and down and show some excitement for their players, they may be wheeled off on a stretcher...let alone the shock their players would see from a coach actually having fun or encouraging it.

Second, we need to force them to throw the ball. Iowa does not have playmakers at any offensive position. Every team we face this year is going to try and shove it down our undersized front seven's throat. Some teams we face can make us pay if we play 8-9 in the box. I don't think Iowa can.

Third, win the turnover battle. Fluke plays have been huge in this series. Heck, I don't want to think about last year's result if Iowa doesn't get a shady penalty on a fumbled exchange that Young ran in for a TD that got called back. Same goes with Chandler's lucky grab just before halftime two years ago. One big TO either way could decide this thing this year.

Fourth, let Bates and Arnaud kill them with their legs. Iowa's defense doesn't necessarily strike me as being overly athletic. I think ISU can consistently get to the edge on the zone read all day and make their safeties make plays. If Iowa's safeties are asked to make plays all day, Iowa doesn't win. Sander's is still in Indy right?

On a side note, and I know this is reallly stretching it, but why am I way more impressed with our player's physical appearance this fall versus Iowa's? Iowa's lines look very unimpressive. When I see ISU's Olinemen, I see big blocks of men. When I see Iowa's, I see guys that are struggling to see the 300 lb mark. When I look at Iowa's defensive linemen, I see big, slow guys at all four positions with 260 lbers backing them up. At ISU, I see smaller, athletic guys who look like they can run down QB's and RB's. Finally, look at the skill positions. Iowa's WR's are three Iowa boys and a converted QB. They aren't kids that can take a 2 yd pass and take it the distance. I see guys like Johnson, Sumrall, Hamiltion, Carlson, etc., that all look like they can take catches to the house. I won't even touch on Iowa's RB's...

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

so to recap so far:
    stop their passing,
    expect them to not run well,
    spread their defense out allowing, us to pass and run well,
    don't turn the ball over,
    force them to turn it over,
    don't make any special teams errors.
    go up early and don't allow a comeback in the 3rd/4th quarter.

I'm gonna go ahead and say so far our keys to winning are just about as solid as saying score more points.

or to rephrase our points: win in every aspect of the game and we'll come out with the W.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 992
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Istate,

Great post. The only thing I wonder about is your emotions comment. I would have agreed 100% if Dan McCarney was still in charge, but Gene Chizik strikes me more as a level headed follow the plan type of coach(kind of like Ferenz slightly). Usually that ripples down through the team, so not sure we'll see the team reacting like it did in the past which is both good and bad...

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    They are very good at big 3rd and 4th quarter comebacks at home especially against us.
    I can think of one game when the hawks weren't so good at 3rd and 4th quarter comebacks.

As for what Clonehome said, that is what we are going to have to do to win any game this year. I think we can win six games, but there is very little room for error.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 74

Spread them out, push their D-backs, cause mismatches, stop the pass. They will have no run game so that wont be a problem.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne