Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

In-Flight WiFi

Delta will be first airline to offer WiFi on all US flights

I traveled 100% for around 4 years. I can't tell you how great this would have been for me then.

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 276
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

Re: In-Flight WiFi

this is great news

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129

Wink Re: In-Flight WiFi

Now that I can access the internet on a plane I may need to join the solo mile high club.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

Now when I get my LG Dare (basically VZW's version of the iPhone) later this year I'll be able to keep up with Travian and Mobsters (Myspace) wherever I go, even if it is at 32,000 feet...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 647
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

That isn't a bad price given the surcharging the airlines are doing...

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 89

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Now when I get my LG Dare (basically VZW's version of the iPhone) later this year I'll be able to keep up with Travian and Mobsters (Myspace) wherever I go, even if it is at 32,000 feet...
    First, I thought wireless transmission during flight interfered with the airplane's instrumentation. They must have worked that out, or perhaps that was never really an issue in the first place.

Secondly, when I pull out my Mogul, I'll have to turn the cell radio off, but turn the WiFi on. How is the airline going to police this? Are they going to train their flight attendants on how to check for this proper setup on dozens of different phone models?

I'd have to guess that at least a few people would end up leaving their cell radios on during flight. If I understand correctly, one of the FCC issues with airplane cell use is that the cell concept is violated, and that a phone is more likely to communicate with multiple towers instead of just one, ultimately disrupting cell service. How are the airlines going to work past this issue?

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    First, I thought wireless transmission during flight interfered with the airplane's instrumentation. They must have worked that out, or perhaps that was never really an issue in the first place.

Secondly, when I pull out my Mogul, I'll have to turn the cell radio off, but turn the WiFi on. How is the airline going to police this? Are they going to train their flight attendants on how to check for this proper setup on dozens of different phone models?

I'd have to guess that at least a few people would end up leaving their cell radios on during flight. If I understand correctly, one of the FCC issues with airplane cell use is that the cell concept is violated, and that a phone is more likely to communicate with multiple towers instead of just one, ultimately disrupting cell service. How are the airlines going to work past this issue?
    (I'm putting on my A&P mechanic hat...)

The reason it took so long for approval of wireless devices, is that no-one really KNEW what effect they had on aircraft systems.

Early emitters were pretty dirty, and there were a few cases where there were suspected interference with aircraft systems. While the FAA can be a messed-up place, they do know how to do due diligence in most technical issues.

And frankly, there just wasn't enough data, yet to pronounce wireless as "safe". It is very difficult to predict modes of failure in complex systems. You just don't know how various combinations of variables are going to interact.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Speechless
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,484
    Given: 1,265

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post

Don't fight the machine! You'll ruin my chance to be an Airborne Cyclone Fanatic Ranger!!!!

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 30

Really who cares? Unless that seat in front of you is free, you won't have enough room to open even an ultra portable laptop. I tried to watch a movie on a united flight this spring and there is just no room unless the laptop is sitting in your lap tilted up. This would be great in the economy plus or business class section, but useless in the cattle cars.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,484
    Given: 1,265

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Really who cares? Unless that seat in front of you is free, you won't have enough room to open even an ultra portable laptop. I tried to watch a movie on a united flight this spring and there is just no room unless the laptop is sitting in your lap tilted up. This would be great in the economy plus or business class section, but useless in the cattle cars.
    I don't remember having that trouble when I've flown, domestically or internationally, the last few years. I've been writing papers the whole way on some flights.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/