Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

Interesting ESPN2 article that is related to dmac leaving and CF posting news

From the Sports Guy. Article is about why Doc Rivers should be fired as coach of the Celtics. ISU relating stuff is half way down. Talks about what are good reasons for firing somone and how the state of sports journalism has changed. Insert dmac's name wherever "Docs" name is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/061115

"Look, it's never fun to write that someone should lose his job. By all accounts, Doc is a super guy -- that's the main reason both local papers and radio stations kept spinning his B.S. and enabling him to keep his job for this long. Just this week, the one local writer who understands basketball and all its subtle nuances -- the Globe's Bob Ryan -- endorsed Doc and absolved him of all blame. Here was his reasoning:

"And, yes, I'm a Doc guy. I can't help it. I've known him too long. I have too much respect for his intelligence, common sense and goodwill to abandon him in this hour of crisis. Do I know for sure that he can convey all the basketball he knows to others? No, I do not. But I know it's there, and I'd sure like to play for him (assuming he could use a 6-foot, 1-inch forward with 1965 post-up moves)."

With all due respect to Ryan, the greatest basketball writer of my lifetime what the hell does that even mean? He's your friend, so you can't admit that he's a bad coach and you need more time to evaluate him? Nearly 200 games wasn't enough? Come on.
    This speaks to a whole 'nother issue: When I started writing columns for my old Web site and built a miniscule base of loyal readers, the local establishment (the Globe, Herald and WEEI) pooh-poohed me in a variety of ways. At first, they played the "nobody's reading him" card. Once it became apparent that some people WERE reading me, they switched to the "he doesn't matter, he doesn't come into the clubhouse card," which was funny because I wanted to infiltrate the clubhouses. Unfortunately, this was the late '90s -- when you told someone you wrote an Internet sports column, they reacted like you were selling knives door-to-door. Really? You get paid for that? I didn't have a chance in hell of getting a press pass from any local team. Not being allowed in clubhouses was the best thing that could have happened -- it forced me to think outside the box, write from the fan's perspective, try to anticipate potential column ideas before everyone else and offer something different from newspapers. In time, I came to realize that you didn't need a press pass to write an entertaining column about sports. So thank you, everyone who blackballed me."

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Interesting ESPN2 article that is related to dmac leaving and CF posting news

The caption on the photo near the top of the article captures Mac's ISU experience perfectly:

"Is 'come-from-ahead loss' the defining phrase of the [Dan McCarney] era?"