Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 139

Mac as a "motivator"

I see a lot of talk about mac being a great motivator. He's a great guy with what seems to be an electric personality, but after thinking this through for awhile, I am having a hard time buying that he was that great of motivator. If you look at his teams over the years, I would say, if anything, there has been a major tendency to come out flat in big games. The first time this dawned on me was the A&M homecoming game in 2000. If I remember right, a ranked, yet very beatable A&M team came into Ames, on homecoming, and beat us pretty good. Granted, we still finished 9-3, but I remember thinking to myself during that game that we just looked flat, and uninspired in a situation where you would think we would just be jacked up and ready to sieze the day. Ever since then, I have noticed so many times were Mac's teams just don't seem to have the fire they needed, especially at the start of the game. Key examples: Oklahoma '02, Texas '02, Missouri '04, Missouri '05, Kansas '05, Nebraska '06 (well pretty much this whole season). Just to name a few. All were games that had they gone the other way, they could have done huge things for this program, yet it seems in all those games, and a others that don't come to mind, the team just didn't look that fired up. Outside of Iowa games, the only times I can really remember the team (under mac) being that fired up were Nebraska '02 and '04, and Colorado '05. It just seems to me, as you look over Mac's career there have been so many important games where the team has come out flat and gotten stomped, that I have to question why people think he is such a great motivator.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 409
    Given: 255

Re: Mac as a "motivator"

You can only motivate your team so much. After that, it's up to them to produce.

Did it ever occur to you that in big games we were just plain over matched?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

in some of them, yes, but I've still seen overmatched teams come out with a lot of energy and play hard. I'm not talking about production, but coming out with passion energy, like Rutgers and Kansas State showed this weekend. I would argue that they both beat better teams, and their emotinal play was a huge part. I will not believe that Kansas State was evenly matched with Texas from a talent standpoint. That game was won on pure emotion, something I have NEVER seen a Mac coached team do.

Rookie
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Good points Al. I can't remember a game either where we came out and really outplayed a team with more talent than us. It seems that Mac is a really nice guy, but for some reason he never seemed to get that extra percent out of our guys to beat the tough competition.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 409
    Given: 255

Well, this year we're seeing very little fire from anyone because we're getting taken to the woodshed week in and week out. Not a viable excuse, but it's hard for anyone to get up for these games - you can see that in the fans too.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Well considering Mac has been at ISU 12 seasons (I think 8th longest in the country) and the coaches at KSU and Rutgers have been there how long? At some point the motivation techniques become a broken record and not as effective.

We all know people that are considered motivators that can motive 1 person but not the other. If this says anything about Mac as a motivator, one of my co-workers is a Hawkeye fan and heard Mac speak at some charity function. He said he felt like going out and tackling someone on the way out the door because Mac got him that excited with his talk.

It's hard to pin it all on motivation because Mac has gotten his teams up for some pretty big games where we were clearly over-matched talent-wise and either won or at least had a chance to win those games. Remember the year Iowa was 11-1 and that one loss was against us? Can't tell me he didn't get our boys fired up for that game!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Well considering Mac has been at ISU 12 seasons (I think 8th longest in the country) and the coaches at KSU and Rutgers have been there how long? At some point the motivation techniques become a broken record and not as effective.

We all know people that are considered motivators that can motive 1 person but not the other. If this says anything about Mac as a motivator, one of my co-workers is a Hawkeye fan and heard Mac speak at some charity function. He said he felt like going out and tackling someone on the way out the door because Mac got him that excited with his talk.

It's hard to pin it all on motivation because Mac has gotten his teams up for some pretty big games where we were clearly over-matched talent-wise and either won or at least had a chance to win those games. Remember the year Iowa was 11-1 and that one loss was against us? Can't tell me he didn't get our boys fired up for that game!
    They're always fired up for Iowa. I noted that in the original post.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Excellent point!

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This is stupid! Arguing if Mac is really a motivator is like arguing if he is really white also. I thought we had abandoned having to listen to the Dmac bashers, but now we have to listen to them kick him in the groin while he is down. Sorry, but come up with something worthwhile to talk about.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It always seemed to me during big games under Mac that we played almost scared. The Oklahoma game in '02 was an example. We lost that game in the first 5 minutes after Anthony Forrest tried to kick the ball out of the end zone after a blocked punt.

I always thought Mac's strategic approach to big games was partly to blame. His ultra conservative "play not to lose" mentality in large part cost us the Big XII North title the last two years. That type of approach can't instill confidence in your players.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Klubber View Post
    It always seemed to me during big games under Mac that we played almost scared. The Oklahoma game in '02 was an example. We lost that game in the first 5 minutes after Anthony Forrest tried to kick the ball out of the end zone after a blocked punt.

I always thought Mac's strategic approach to big games was partly to blame. His ultra conservative "play not to lose" mentality in large part cost us the Big XII North title the last two years. That type of approach can't instill confidence in your players.
    exactly... i'm not trying to kick the man while he's down, as I respect the things he has done, and I can think of many praise worthy titles to label him with, I'm just a little surprised that "motivator" is one, as the on-field results seem to say otherwise.

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161

If you say something enough times

people will take it as gospel. Master motivator, great recruiter, defensive genius, master of the ladies, etc....

Mac was the perfect hire at the perfect time but now we need a relief pitcher/closer to come in and nail it down....

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

One of the main things I dislike about McCarney is that he (or his coordinator) has a tendency to not make good play calls. We're always blitzing at the wrong time or from the wrong direction. Or, we never do anything creative on offense or take chances or catch the other team off guard. And, have you seen Bret Meyer audible all year...I mean, how many times has the other team shown blitz, and we just run the play that was called? I'll stop now!

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 19

That makes no sense. This isn't the NFL. Every year he gets a new batch of players to motivate. So why would he stop doing what is working? There is NO reason that Ron Prince should be getting more output out of his players than Danny Mac. Unfortunately, this is the case. (i.e. KSU vs. Texas, KSU vs. ISU, ISU vs. UNI, ISU vs. KU, ISU vs. UNLV, ISU vs. NU, ISU vs. Tech...)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 785
    Given: 512

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    One of the main things I dislike about McCarney is that he (or his coordinator) has a tendency to not make good play calls. We're always blitzing at the wrong time or from the wrong direction. I'll stop now!
    Is that you Barney?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.