Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Jack

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 14

The Jack

So if I recall, the stadium project was due for completion August 1st...did that date get met with all the crappy rainy weather we've encountered?

Also, didn't the original plans call for Iowa State University to be displayed along the white piping that runs along the middle of the gate? Again I could be wayyy off base but I thought that was something on the original plans that I really liked.

For those of you who haven't followed the stadium progress, here's the web cam:

WebCam - Jack Trice Stadium - Improvements 2006

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Re: The Jack

I didn't go out into the Stadium to look at the improvements, but from the balcony of the Jacobsen building on Saturday, it looks like all the concrete work is done. The entrances into the upper decks all have new concrete stairs around them, but the handrails haven't been set in the concrete yet. There's probably still quite a bit of "finish" work to do yet, but it looked like the majority of the heavy lifting is done.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

No it isn't completed yet. They still have railing, signage, and other odds and ends to take care of. They shouldn't have any trouble getting it done before football starts. There are a number of areas that they chose to cut back in and that may have been one.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    No it isn't completed yet. They still have railing, signage, and other odds and ends to take care of. They shouldn't have any trouble getting it done before football starts. There are a number of areas that they chose to cut back in and that may have been one.
    Who chose to cut back and why? Was it schedule issues where the work is just being be deferred? Or was it due to some changes in plan and if so why? Not being critical, but it just begs for an explanation.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYlent Bob View Post
    The entrances into the upper decks all have new concrete stairs around them, but the handrails haven't been set in the concrete yet. There's probably still quite a bit of "finish" work to do yet, but it looked like the majority of the heavy lifting is done.
    They are the same stairs- just painted with that "non-slick coating". In my opinion they are slicker then the rest of the concrete. I think the suites and club sections are done, they just need to move stuff into them. That is mostly true with the new concession stands, also.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
    Who chose to cut back and why? Was it schedule issues where the work is just being be deferred? Or was it due to some changes in plan and if so why? Not being critical, but it just begs for an explanation.
    I think it is just a matter of practicality. If they had followed the architect's plan completely, they would of spent more and got less. The original drawings called for a cardinal and gold brick concourse- it is asphalt. I think it much better that they spent that money on repainting the steal supports then to spend it on brick.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I dunno, I was disappointed that they got rid of the brick concourse. That's one of those things that sets your stadium apart from others- every stadium on the planet has asphalt or concrete concourses, and the ones that don't are the ones that people talk about favorably. Yes, the painting needed to be done, but I would consider giving up the brick for the paint "spending less and getting less", jaretac.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It'd be nice to see it put in with Phase II, as it would be a really nice addition... but I don't see that happening, as they're still trying to make Phase II happen period

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think it is just a matter of practicality. If they had followed the architect's plan completely, they would of spent more and got less. The original drawings called for a cardinal and gold brick concourse- it is asphalt. I think it much better that they spent that money on repainting the steal supports then to spend it on brick.
    I would have thought for a project of state owned facility, those kind of changes would not be allowed. I would have thought you had your plan and your bid, and it was up to the builder to execute it per that plan and at the agreed-to cost. Any discretionary changes after the fact, I would have thought would be complicated by bureaucratic red tape, so much so that they wouldn't even surface.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64

Brick is so expensive though. Stuff like expanding the concourses and improving the bathrooms and concessions are things that needed done. Brick would have been really nice but it doesn't have any functional difference between the asphalt.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I noticed that the asphalt was laid about 1.5 to 2 inches below the actual concrete in front of the concession stands and entrances to the stands/suites and also the sidewalks coming out from in front of the suites. Now, I'm not saying this is the finish product cause I seriously hope its not otherwise your going to have TONS of people tripping over the lip going from asphalt to concrete. I'd assume they'd come with a decorative topping later? perhaps colored concrete???

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Brick is so expensive though. Stuff like expanding the concourses and improving the bathrooms and concessions are things that needed done. Brick would have been really nice but it doesn't have any functional difference between the asphalt.
    I wasn't arguing any of those things. I certainly would never have said, "Hey let's make the concourse 20 feet narrower so that we can put in brick!" The widened concourse and the improved bathrooms and concessions were going to happen anyway; that was the entire point of the construction. But if brick and asphalt are functionally exactly the same, why go with the unattractive option?

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.

Victory before honor.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

[quote=ornryactor;567260]I dunno, I was disappointed that they got rid of the brick concourse.quote]

Dumb question I guess but, what part of the concourse was brick?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    Dumb question I guess but, what part of the concourse was brick?
    No part was brick before construction. The renovation plans called for the concourse to be repaved with cardinal and gold brickwork, but they have apparently decided to forgo that. My comment referred to getting rid of it in the plans, not physically tearing up bricks.

True and Valiant

Victory before honor.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 383

Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    I noticed that the asphalt was laid about 1.5 to 2 inches below the actual concrete in front of the concession stands and entrances to the stands/suites and also the sidewalks coming out from in front of the suites. Now, I'm not saying this is the finish product cause I seriously hope its not otherwise your going to have TONS of people tripping over the lip going from asphalt to concrete. I'd assume they'd come with a decorative topping later? perhaps colored concrete???
    you should only put 3-4 inches of asphalt down at a time, before compressing it (leaving 1.5-2" of depth). So if they needed to fill 4 inches of Asphalt.. it will take two passes.

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep