Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 30

I don't understand the outcry for Mac?

Okay, great guy, great rep for the school, tried to do things the right way,....... We all know the history and where the program was and is now. My problem with the whole thing is this:

1) Mac was paid to be the head coach at a D-1 BCS school for 12 years. Maybe in the first few years he didn't make great money, but the last 5-6 he has done very well. Sometimes I thing people loose reality on just how much money Mac was making because the guy to the east is so overpaid.

2) This is the 6th year in the 12 that Mac has been at ISU that the Cyclones will finish dead last in the conference! Just imagine how long you would keep you job if you where dead last in sales half the time? Granted 4 of those years were at the beginning of Macs time at the helm; the last 2 are the ones that hurt him.

I hate to see Mac go, but the results are just not there. The fact that this years team was suppose to be pretty good and turned out to be horrible shows that Mac and his coaches were either not doing a good job of coaching or a good job of recruiting. I don't buy that this team failed because JP over-hyping it. Mac and a lot of the media were saying all kinds of glowing things before the season, about the offense in particular.

JP did the right thing, and I am glad he had the balls to do it. It would have never happened under the old leadership.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Re: I don't understand the outcry for Mac?

I'm not really seeing that many are saying "horrible move by JP".

What I am seeing, are fans and some media members saying it will be rough to lose D-Mac - because of the motivator he is and the great guy we've had for 12 years. Anytime you have a guy that's the face of the program for 12 years - win or lose - it's tough for a change to take place. Even if the results are sour.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What I don't get is people who say, "Who are you going to get that's better than McCarney?" That's just a rip on our program, ISU in general, the fans, and even Ames, Iowa. We may not get a coach who does some things as well as Mac did, but I think there are a lot of coaches who would come to a BCS school like ISU for $1 million per year and do a lot better job coaching on gameday!

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I'm not really seeing that many are saying "horrible move by JP".
    You must not have been listening to Cotlar this morning.

I have never called into a sports radio station but I was VERY tempted this morning. Some guy was saying how Jamie "The Hatchet" Pollard (as he liked to call him) fired all of the coaches...it was the billboard's fault, Mac is such a great representation of ISU (which is true), great coach, best thing for ISU, etc, etc, etc. The guy was beating up on Jamie for changing 4 coaches, blah, blah, blah.

I wanted to call in and say, yes Mac has been a great representative of ISU, great molder of young kids, etc, etc, etc. But in the end, it comes down to winning games. Going 0-8 in 2 of the last 4 season is completely unacceptable. If other cyclone fans think that...that's their choice...but it's not mine.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post

I have never called into a sports radio station but I was VERY tempted this morning. Some guy was saying how Jamie "The Hatchet" Pollard (as he liked to call him) fired all of the coaches...it was the billboard's fault, Mac is such a great representation of ISU (which is true), great coach, best thing for ISU, etc, etc, etc. The guy was beating up on Jamie for changing 4 coaches, blah, blah, blah.

I wanted to call in and say, yes Mac has been a great representative of ISU, great molder of young kids, etc, etc, etc. But in the end, it comes down to winning games. Going 0-8 in 2 of the last 4 season is completely unacceptable. If other cyclone fans think that...that's their choice...but it's not mine.
    These same callers have called Jon Miller and Marty & Miller saying the same thing. I think they are Pukeye Homers who are ticked at Coach Mac leaving because after getting beat by us 5 yrs in a row, the overpaid coach to the east is finally getting the upper hand and has won 3 out of 4. The points these people are making are stupid to say the least.

Mac WILL BE a tough one to replace, as a person a whole lot more so than as a coach. I will definitely miss the eternal optimist, the motivational speaker at Cyclone events, and the guy who took time out of his busy schedule to speak a couple minutes to my 7 and 4 yr old kids and take a picture with them turning them into lifelong Cyclone fans and when talking to you, actually acted geniunly interested. That's what I am going to miss, not so much the gameday coaching

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I agree. If I have to listen to loud-mouthed Tirrell ***** one more time about Pollard I am going to puke. The media is the one trying to trump up discord. The only people ****** are hawk fans and radio pundits who only want ratings.

Since when should anyone give a rat what some pencil neck (who LIVES IN NEW ENGLAND and calls in to the show) thinks about something happening 1000 miles away.

It's clear he has no idea what he is tlaking about and rehashes the same old line every time there is a discussion about soemthing local. Just yesterday he was tlaking about how pathetic the "Pack the Jack" effort was for this weekend. He talked like this was the first time they've ever referred to that effort. If he lived here, he'd know it's been around a lot longer than this week.

Why do people listen to that joke? Since Miller has been gone this week, I can't handle it...At least he's not afraid to tell him when he's embrrassing himself (which is all the time)!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

I didn't say there were not people on JP's back for firing D-Mac. I just said there are not many out there.

The ones that are just wanna be the most vocal.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    I will definitely miss the eternal optimist...
    The eternam optimist schtick did get old after constant drillings. Dan, meet reality.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

2) This is the 6th year in the 12 that Mac has been at ISU that the Cyclones will finish dead last in the conference! Just imagine how long you would keep you job if you where dead last in sales half the time? Granted 4 of those years were at the beginning of Macs time at the helm; the last 2 are the ones that hurt him.

Not only were we the worst team in the Big 12 in 2003 and 2006, we were(and are) quite arguably the worst team in the NATION. I know that the dead horse has been beaten enough but if you didn't think a coaching change was in order you must also like beating yourself in the head with a hammer.
    I've heard some Hawk fans say that they'd like to fire Parker and hire Mac as the DC because he's such a "great coach." They really need to think that through.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

[I've heard some Hawk fans say that they'd like to fire Parker and hire Mac as the DC because he's such a "great coach." They really need to think that through.[/QUOTE]

Mac might make a great DC. He was pretty good at WI when ISU hired him away. I wouldn't mind him being ISU's next DC, no way it could happen, but he would be a good guy to have on a coaching staff.

I agree completely on being the worst team in the country, and it isn't just because of the guys playing, and ISU can't change the player as easy as the coaches.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the majority of those questioning JP's decision are not ISU fans, not to say that all ISU fans agree with it. I was a strong Mac supporter until about the middle of October, now I agree with JP's decision. At the same time, I think it is right to recognize Mac for everything he has done for ISU. Letting him go and recognizing the good Mac did are not mutually exclusive.

GO CYCLONES!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Letting him go and recognizing the good Mac did are not mutually exclusive.

GO CYCLONES!!![/QUOTE]

It is almost like a funeral: even if the guy that died was a real SOB, everyone still focuses on the positive things that he did in his life. (Not saying Mac is a SOB, if he was, this would all be a lot easier.)

If we look at mac's job as a whole, based on numbers, it is pretty hard to be impressed. At the same time, he had his game, moments, and wins over the Hawks. Those are all worth celebrating.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 112

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post

Newsflash: That was good old David who constantly puts down everything Cyclone and always uses the squawk mantra that ISU cant ever do better than Mac. Makes me want to VOMIT!!

Walk On
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

He was and is actually interested. That's what made Mac such a great ambassador (like BF) he truly cared and wanted you to know that you (any of us) were just as important because we were ISU and he became ISU.

Making a difference everyday!

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Don't forget that this team is an eyelash away from being WINLESS! DM was correct when he said that things had stalled. There is really no excuse in not having acceptable depth when you have been at the same school for 12 years. Injuries hurt this team, sure...but at this point in the season, who isn't banged up? His "motivation" took this program as far as it could go. Now we need a better recruiter and coaches who can make necessary adjustments...like getting the ball to TB.