Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Cooler than an i-phone

    The Leatherman pocket survival tool.

    And Leatherman is celebrating their 25th anniversary. For all the snobs out their they have introduced the Dorado collection which only costs $40,000.

    Link:
    The Collection - Leatherman


    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 74,779, Level: 84
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JonDMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,537
    Points
    74,779
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 1

    Re: Cooler than an i-phone

    LOL. For some reason, I have a fascination with these things, too. I have the little one that I hook to my key chain...I use that thing all of the time (I got the one with scissors, not the mini pliers).

    I have two or three of the bigger ones, one in the garage, one in the shed, one at my desk. I need to back off.

    I got hooked on them after watching Survivorman


    'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 19,413, Level: 42
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    CloneFan03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Urbandale, IA
    Posts
    743
    Points
    19,413
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 16

    Re: Cooler than an i-phone

    I've been looking for a $40,000 Multi-tool!

    Jon, Do you keep the $40, 000 or $12,000 around your garage/shed/desk?


    Last edited by CloneFan03; 08-03-2008 at 09:55 AM.

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 74,779, Level: 84
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JonDMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,537
    Points
    74,779
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 1

    Re: Cooler than an i-phone

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneFan03 View Post
    I've been looking for a $40,000 Multi-tool!

    Jon, Do you keep the $40, 000 or $12,000 around your garage/shed/desk?
    I don't think I have ever spent more than $30 on any one. The bigger ones are knock offs


    'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Cooler than an i-phone

    Me and 8 other guys quite possibly owe our lives to my Leatherman Crunch.

    During the initial invasion of Iraq, the HMMWV in front of us lost a rear wheel at 60 mph. We stopped to assist, and when the driver switched off, fuel starts running out from under the engine compartment of our vehicle onto the ground. The rest of the column keeps moving, leaving two broken-down HMMWVs sitting on the side of the road.

    While the guys from the HMMWV in front of us are piling their crap into our HMMWV, I pop the hood of ours, and see immediately, that one of the fuel injector lines had broken off at the B-nut where it enters the engine.

    Right about this time, Hadji pulls up with a white Toyota pickup on the overpass behind us, and starts putting rounds from an AK into our general direction. Some of the guys start shooting back, some are still piling junk into our HMMWV, and I whip out my Leatherman Crunch, take off the B-Nut (those things are torqued on pretty good, btw) push the remaining fuel injection line through the B-Nut and then flange it with the Leatherman's knife blade. (Which I broke the tip off doing, but I was a little stressed, you know?)

    Somewhere about this time, some Hadji-dude had snuck up to the now stripped HMMWV that broke down, and set it on fire with a gasoline bomb.

    I managed to get the B-nut tightened down to "Guttentite" torque standards, and we got away (obviously). It was a sloppy job, and the HMMWV ran like crap, but it ran good enough to get to the next Convoy Support Center, and get a new line installed.

    I am very, very sentimental toward that Leatherman. I still have it, and the tip of the knife blade is still broken off, but I like it that way, now.


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 49,125, Level: 68
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    ISU_Alum_2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Posts
    1,956
    Points
    49,125
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Cooler than an i-phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Me and 8 other guys quite possibly owe our lives to my Leatherman Crunch.

    During the initial invasion of Iraq, the HMMWV in front of us lost a rear wheel at 60 mph. We stopped to assist, and when the driver switched off, fuel starts running out from under the engine compartment of our vehicle onto the ground. The rest of the column keeps moving, leaving two broken-down HMMWVs sitting on the side of the road.

    While the guys from the HMMWV in front of us are piling their crap into our HMMWV, I pop the hood of ours, and see immediately, that one of the fuel injector lines had broken off at the B-nut where it enters the engine.

    Right about this time, Hadji pulls up with a white Toyota pickup on the overpass behind us, and starts putting rounds from an AK into our general direction. Some of the guys start shooting back, some are still piling junk into our HMMWV, and I whip out my Leatherman Crunch, take off the B-Nut (those things are torqued on pretty good, btw) push the remaining fuel injection line through the B-Nut and then flange it with the Leatherman's knife blade. (Which I broke the tip off doing, but I was a little stressed, you know?)

    Somewhere about this time, some Hadji-dude had snuck up to the now stripped HMMWV that broke down, and set it on fire with a gasoline bomb.

    I managed to get the B-nut tightened down to "Guttentite" torque standards, and we got away (obviously). It was a sloppy job, and the HMMWV ran like crap, but it ran good enough to get to the next Convoy Support Center, and get a new line installed.

    I am very, very sentimental toward that Leatherman. I still have it, and the tip of the knife blade is still broken off, but I like it that way, now.
    That, my friends, is an awesome story.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 544,461, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    39,691
    Points
    544,461
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,941
    Given: 2,967

    Re: Cooler than an i-phone

    Leatherman has to be the coolest, most useful invention ever.

    I'll be using one to put on my brand new ISU plates later this afternoon...


    "That's what I do. I drink, and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

    "Success is just failure that hasn't happened yet." - life advice from Latrell Spreewell


  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 965,998, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    66,932
    Points
    965,998
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,499
    Given: 8,375

    Re: Cooler than an i-phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Me and 8 other guys quite possibly owe our lives to my Leatherman Crunch.

    During the initial invasion of Iraq, the HMMWV in front of us lost a rear wheel at 60 mph. We stopped to assist, and when the driver switched off, fuel starts running out from under the engine compartment of our vehicle onto the ground. The rest of the column keeps moving, leaving two broken-down HMMWVs sitting on the side of the road.

    While the guys from the HMMWV in front of us are piling their crap into our HMMWV, I pop the hood of ours, and see immediately, that one of the fuel injector lines had broken off at the B-nut where it enters the engine.

    Right about this time, Hadji pulls up with a white Toyota pickup on the overpass behind us, and starts putting rounds from an AK into our general direction. Some of the guys start shooting back, some are still piling junk into our HMMWV, and I whip out my Leatherman Crunch, take off the B-Nut (those things are torqued on pretty good, btw) push the remaining fuel injection line through the B-Nut and then flange it with the Leatherman's knife blade. (Which I broke the tip off doing, but I was a little stressed, you know?)

    Somewhere about this time, some Hadji-dude had snuck up to the now stripped HMMWV that broke down, and set it on fire with a gasoline bomb.

    I managed to get the B-nut tightened down to "Guttentite" torque standards, and we got away (obviously). It was a sloppy job, and the HMMWV ran like crap, but it ran good enough to get to the next Convoy Support Center, and get a new line installed.

    I am very, very sentimental toward that Leatherman. I still have it, and the tip of the knife blade is still broken off, but I like it that way, now.


    That, my friend, could be the post of the day anyday!


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 14,722, Level: 36
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mkcrawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    730
    Points
    14,722
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 135

    Re: Cooler than an i-phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Me and 8 other guys quite possibly owe our lives to my Leatherman Crunch.

    During the initial invasion of Iraq, the HMMWV in front of us lost a rear wheel at 60 mph. We stopped to assist, and when the driver switched off, fuel starts running out from under the engine compartment of our vehicle onto the ground. The rest of the column keeps moving, leaving two broken-down HMMWVs sitting on the side of the road.

    While the guys from the HMMWV in front of us are piling their crap into our HMMWV, I pop the hood of ours, and see immediately, that one of the fuel injector lines had broken off at the B-nut where it enters the engine.

    Right about this time, Hadji pulls up with a white Toyota pickup on the overpass behind us, and starts putting rounds from an AK into our general direction. Some of the guys start shooting back, some are still piling junk into our HMMWV, and I whip out my Leatherman Crunch, take off the B-Nut (those things are torqued on pretty good, btw) push the remaining fuel injection line through the B-Nut and then flange it with the Leatherman's knife blade. (Which I broke the tip off doing, but I was a little stressed, you know?)

    Somewhere about this time, some Hadji-dude had snuck up to the now stripped HMMWV that broke down, and set it on fire with a gasoline bomb.

    I managed to get the B-nut tightened down to "Guttentite" torque standards, and we got away (obviously). It was a sloppy job, and the HMMWV ran like crap, but it ran good enough to get to the next Convoy Support Center, and get a new line installed.

    I am very, very sentimental toward that Leatherman. I still have it, and the tip of the knife blade is still broken off, but I like it that way, now.
    You should send this story to Leatherman Tools because IMO it's an awesome story. I'm sure they'd love to hear of the exploits their tools are used for and might even ask to use it as a testimonial.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 38,552, Level: 60
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,638
    Points
    38,552
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 27

    Re: Cooler than an i-phone

    Wow these are expensive, even without the fancy artwork...



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 64,476, Level: 78
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Points
    64,476
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 10

    Re: Cooler than an i-phone

    Quote Originally Posted by mkcrawford View Post
    You should send this story to Leatherman Tools because IMO it's an awesome story. I'm sure they'd love to hear of the exploits their tools are used for and might even ask to use it as a testimonial.
    Except they might change the part about the knife breaking...maybe it was shot off and you didn't notice it....maybe?


    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM