Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 1

Tirrell v. Pollard

First off, I don't listen to Marty and Miller a lot any more because every time I here Marty go in to one of his high pitch screaming tirades or start snorting/laughing I have to turn the channel before my ear drums rupture. When I do listen I can't decide if Marty is 1) A loud-mouth idiot, 2) A loud-mouth trying to incite argument to get callers and listeners or 3) Just so out of touch with what is going on in Iowa that he can't speak intellegently on local topics.

My main beef is when I have tuned in lately I have heard Tirrell blame Pollard for McCarney's failings this year by raising expectations, putting himself in the spotlight, and over-hyping this football season. Pollard did what he needed to do to kick ISU fans in the butt to realize we need to support this program both physically and financially to get to the next level.

Although expectations were probably over-inflated as far as wins and loses, with an extremely young and inexperience defense coming into the season and being depleted by injury as the season continued; I don't think it was just the loses that got McCarney pushed out.

Even without Pollard here, I expect that an offense with talent and 10 returning starters and 4 senior lineman to be able to run the ball and score points. I expect that the team should be fundamentally sound (i.e. blocking, tackling, catching punts, not making dumb penalties, and mental errors on special teams.) I expect to beat UNI and a bad UNLV soundly. I expect to beat rebuilding programs like Colorado, Kansas St. , and Kansas- not be blown out by them.

If this team had scored points and lost because of a young defense giving up points or at least shown improvement through the year instead of getting steadily worse, McCarney would still have job.

The program had no hope or momentum. Without these things you can't recruit, you can't get the attention of young players, and you can't put fans in the seats.

Both Pollard and McCarney knew that the program would decline if there was not new blood brought in. A new coach can get away with a few bad years in the beginning and still sell tickets because there is hope; a 12 year veteran cannot.

Like most fans, I'm sorry McCarney is gone, and he won't be the guy to get us to the next level because he was a class act, but it is not Pollard's fault. Expectations are not a bad thing - Accepting mediocrity is.

Last edited by jtdoyle1; 11-15-2006 at 11:17 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Re: Tirrell v. Pollard

Yeah, I heard it yesterday too. The billboard was the beginning of the end for D-Mac, Pollard supposedly knew we'd stink this year, etc, etc.

BS Marty! Please, shut up. Take a sock, stuff it in your mouth and wrap a full roll of duct tape around your face. Not a partial role, a full roll.

The billboard was marketing. Can you said marketing, Marty?

Dan's job was lost in the Tech, K-State and Kansas games. Not in Sept. vs. Iowa. Please, get a clue.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

Marty...please, please, please get rid of your high pitched rants. Your show really isn't that bad until you keep rehashing the same things day after day, week after week. It gets old.

I do like listening to Ken Miller though.

Also, why can't we get someone local to be paired with Kenny? It's supposed to be a local show, right?

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Even though John Miller is a hawkeye, I really woudn't mind having the Miller and Miller show (aka Miller Time).

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I have to give Jon Miller his due. He does a pretty good show. Unfortunately because of his history, he only really draws Hawkeye callers. Well, because of his background and his timeslot (most unemployables are Hawkfans not working early afternoons)

But neither is really his fault. And he sticks his neck out for ISU. Anybody catch his show the Friday before the football game where he said he would take Blythe over Dwight at receiver in an All-Iowa team?

Wow, you'd have thought he dissed the Virgin Mary!!

And you're dead on about Tirrell (big surprise on that - coming from me). In my rant a week or so ago, somebody nailed Marty - he's feces.

Why - oh why - KXNO decided to bring him back defies comprehension. He's been run out before and he seems to be already burning bridges like a pyromaniac once again.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 11-15-2006 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Additional content

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,822
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 34

Yeah, I wanted to call in and let him know that's why he's not an AD at ISU.

Then last night I wanted to add why he's not the head coach at Iowa. He was going on some rampage about why Iowa should start Jake (whoever their next QB is) against Minnesota. You could just tell Marc Hansen and the reporter from the Iowa City Press Citizen were doing everything they could from just coming out and saying "Tirell, you idiot. Ferentz is going to the play the QB that gives them the best chance to win. And that's the QB that's lead them to 3 straight New Years Day bowl games".

Fanatic #25

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Oh, I really like Jon Miller. I actually like listening to him more than Ken Miller - he just seems a lot smarter.

A Miller and Miller show would be a great idea, but Jon's got his own gig and that won't change.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Maybe Tirrell acts that way on purpose. It may just be me, but I would hate to make my living being the village idiot.

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I'm not even sure that Marty knows about the Hy-Vee CyHawk series. The billboard was put up because of that, not because we beat Iowa in football.

I agree though, he's a blowhard with nothing really to say. Just stirs the pot.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Marty...please, please, please get rid of your high pitched rants. Your show really isn't that bad until you keep rehashing the same things day after day, week after week. It gets old.
    Other than the 'high pitched rants', your post accurately describes a Dan McCarney post-game interview session. No doubt about it.

Sorry, but I just report the facts.

All-Star
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by tube1 View Post
    No doubt about it.
    Now THAT'S one thing I'm not going miss about Mac...probably his most frequently used line in his pressers...in addition to "we've got to do a better job of coaching"...

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Forget Miller and Miller, how about Miller and Williams. Deace and Miller do a good job on the Cy-Hawk show they were doing. Why not take that into radio and have Chris Williams represent ISU now that Deace is busy.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    Forget Miller and Miller, how about Miller and Williams. Deace and Miller do a good job on the Cy-Hawk show they were doing. Why not take that into radio and have Chris Williams represent ISU now that Deace is busy.
    Uh, yeah - an obvious choice many of us overlooked.

I enjoy listening to both Chris and Brent!

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I stopped listening to kxno when Deace left. Are those jokers still on the air?

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PolkCityClone View Post
    I stopped listening to kxno when Deace left. Are those jokers still on the air?
    unfortunately. and i'm still dumb enough to check in and see what they are talking about every once in a while. if marty wasn't so jacked up about everything he would be better. in fact, he's a bit like deace in that his opinion is the only one that counts---and don't get me wrong, i loved me some deace (i say that in a very asexual way), but the pitch and rate of his voice didn't make me want to claw my eyes out.

anyway, marty has been on with marc hansen from the dmr this week...and it has taken me less than 5 minutes each afternoon to turn it off and put a cd in. by the way, if anyone is looking for some good bands i recommend two bands that i have been listening to non-stop-- gomez and state radio. enjoy!