Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 728

'09 Outlook

Here we go, boys and girls.

Funny, but if Wes had returned, I could have seen this becoming a Sweet Sixteen caliber team.

After all, I thought that the major shortcomings of the '08 squad were A. Low post talent B. Point guard play and C. Outside shooting. Well, of the three, outside shooting improved as the season progressed, freshmen (i.e. Diante) improve, and Lucca will be eligible. Big difference. Immense difference.

I also anticipate point guard play to be vastly improved, with Diante much stronger and confident, and with competition from Dominique Buckley.

Of course, the low post should be vastly improved, where CB will not only have gained confidence (is he playing any summer all-star tours?), but will have the seasoned assistance of Jamie Vanderbeken (yes, I know he'll be shooting threes on offense), but L.A. Pomlee and Justin Hamilton look more ready to play than anyone could have dreamed. If all we get out of them is defense, rebounding, and the occasional blocked shot, that's still a huge plus. Cato-esque jams would be a bonus.

The real shame is, it's really only Wes's athleticism and skill set that this team is lacking. Oh, I'm sure there are ways to compensate (spotting Garrett on the wing with Buckley as the point; Peterson, Haluska and Boozer seeing time as spot-up shooters in the same lineup with Staiger), there are plenty of wing players to shuffle through in waves, but I can't quite envision a Sweet Sixteen team any longer.

Making the Big Dance? Well sure, that's no problem. We'll just have to see how things shake out.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,175
    Given: 1,803

Re: '09 Outlook

This guy sure can hold his Kool-Aid!!!

I'm with you. I was realllllyyy looking forward to watching this year's team. I still am, and I still think that this can be an NCAA team, if everything comes together. It seems like we have the potential to have solid depth all over the place, with some interesting three-guard combinations.

I've seen teams that look worse do better. Do you have season tickets?

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

If they can finish .500 or better and not lose any(or more than 1) of our new recruits I would be very pleased. Year 4 of the McDermott era is when I expect results.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 428

I wont be expecting a winning season for a while.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 0

I love the enthusiasm, but this could be the most incredible homer post I've ever seen. Honestly I laughed out loud.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 77

Count me in the 'believe it when I see it' camp.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,413
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 141

After losing Weasel Johnson, I am convinced that we will not win a single game this upcoming season. In fact, we will lose every game by at least 20 points, none of targeted recruits (even our third and fourth choices) will sign with us, and we will be forced to accept high-school benchwarmers as key contributors. Greg McDermott will be fired mid-season and in desperation JP will be forced to name a bunch of posters here on this site as "coaches by committee". Mark my words, this will happen.

Hey, being an Iowa State all my life has prepared me for the worst. This way, if we do any better, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but since I firmly beleive that all Iowa State fans were either Nazis, serial killers, or vicious members of the KKK in past lives (hence the reason for all our suffering), I've resigned myself to putridity.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Gotta love it when you put up a factual, unbiased post, and are repeatedly insulted and demeaned for it. Frankly, it's not my "homer" or "kool aid" attitude, it's you guys who really need to lose that Cy-Loser mentality.

I mentioned nothing that is unlikely or unreasonable, especially certain minimal contributions off the bench from Hamilton and Pomlee. Defense and rebounding really isn't a whole lot to ask a player to concentrate on--especially with their skill sets.

Frankly, you guys remind me of a few years ago when I commented to a coworker, an ISU athlete, about how well the men's basketball team was playing. She replied, "Basketball? Those guys suck." This happened to be in late December of the year that Jamaal Tinsley joined Marcus Fizer on the court, a combination that worked out reasonably well, without drinking any kool aid.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 808
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 13

I like your optimism but I think you're underestimating the loss of Jiri, who was a very good big 12 big man. Craig is going to need help down low both on the boards and another scorer to pass to and get passes from for him to be effective, and who is going to replace Jiri? I think we know what we're going to get from Alex, and depending on first year players, especially big men, is a lot to ask. I look for an 8-10 place finish in the conference, which is a slight improvement from last year so that may be optimistic.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    I like your optimism but I think you're underestimating the loss of Jiri, who was a very good big 12 big man. Craig is going to need help down low both on the boards and another scorer to pass to and get passes from for him to be effective, and who is going to replace Jiri?
    That depends on what you mean by "replace Jiri", in exactly what role you're referring to.

For low post offense, it'll be Craig--so we won't be relying on a first year player.

Part of the problem that Craig and Jiri had coexisting last year was that both of them wanted the ball in the exact same place in the low block--which wasn't gonna happen. And if you recall, Jiri could do a major disappearing act.

The plan, I suppose, is that Jamie will open things up inside for Craig with his outside shooting...and hopefully he'll have a good entry pass (as Craig would an outlet). And I think that Craig can be far better as an interior defender than Jiri ever was, for one thing, he should have a better anchor, more muscle.

I wouldn't count on Hamilton or Pomlee for more than eight or ten minutes (combined) off the bench, but I still think they can make a valuable contribution.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Don't let the Debbie Downers get you all fired up.

I appreciate you optimistic outlook!

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 808
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 13

Hope you're right about Craig being as effective down low as Jiri, but I still think you're underestimating how much Jiri contributed to last year's team. For us to improve Brackins obviously has to improve, which he should, and Lucca needs to come in and be an impact player in his first year. He could do that as he's been with the team a year now.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Gotta love it when you put up a factual, unbiased post, and are repeatedly insulted and demeaned for it. Frankly, it's not my "homer" or "kool aid" attitude, it's you guys who really need to lose that Cy-Loser mentality.
    Explain to me what is factual and unbiased about these statements:

Funny, but if Wes had returned, I could have seen this becoming a Sweet Sixteen caliber team.

Of course, the low post should be vastly improved,

Making the Big Dance? Well sure, that's no problem.
    I agree with the previous poster that losing Jiri is going to be big for this team. He was injured all last season and he still was the most effective post player on the team. I don't think it's automatic that Brackins will make up his production down low especially on the boards. He needs to improve a ton rebounding.

90% of what you said is pure opinion. Like you said, we'll see how things shake out but there is some serious koolaid going on in the OP and anybody objectively looking at it would agree. There's always the Fizer/Tinsley possibility but looking at it I still can't see who is going to score, rebound, or defend on this team, especially in the post. I'll go back to being a loser now.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 2

There certainly is always the chance that a team catches lightning in a bottle and rises from obscurity, but those are very rare instances.

I think you are right that this team will be better, but there are so many question marks and holes to fill, it is unlikely that they are a tourney team.

My top three concerns:

-Who rebounds the ball?

-Where/who does the "toughness" come from?

-Who is the go-to guy? (Most would say Brackins, but in my mind, his consistency will have to improve greatly to be talked about as a go-to guy)

I think strengths will be our outside shooting, team chemistry (I think we finally have a group of guys that want to be Cyclones for life, but one never knows), and depth (if guys can learn to accept roles, not need to be a star).

Success to me would be 17-18 wins.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 32

Wes scored around 12 points a game! He will be replaced no problem...