Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 84

2009: 15 Starters Return

Just a snapshot in time. . . . Based on the 2-deeps dated July 25, ISU in 2009 will return 8 starters on offense (8 of 10 OLinemen) and 7 starters on defense. (Sure, we all know this is bound to change, but nevertheless it's an indication. . . .)

IMHO, based on his demonstrated abilities and the immediate lack of a recognizable replacement from the roster, the key loss will be DE Kurtis Taylor. His backup, Nick Frere, is a senior, too. Hopefully some DE depth can be developed during the season.

The 2009 offense will be experienced across the board, it looks like. Plus, RB Bo Williams gains eligibility. Heading into a season with experienced quarterbacks will be nice, too. (And a veteran, established OLine also!)

OK, back to this season. I'm just sayin' . . . .

OFFENSE:

LT -- Doug Dedrick, 6-4, 296 *
    RB -- Jason Scales, 5-9, 205 ***
    WR -- R.J. Sumrall, 6-1, 195 ***

DEFENSE:

DE -- Kurtis Taylor, 6-2, 250 **
    LB -- Michael Bibbs, 6-1, 223 *
    CB -- Chris Singleton, 5-10, 194 ***
    SS -- Chris Brown, 5-10, 172 *

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: 2009: 15 Starters Return

Yea not alot of expirence from are starters but some have alot..

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 33

Plus ARob may end up being the starter, so we could only lose 2 on Offense. And OL appears to be building some nice depth.

Agree that Taylor is the only one on the list that (at this time) would be considered a major loss.

2009 is looking great, but there is lots of wood to chop this year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I always like looking into the crystal ball for the future beyond the season that is soon upon us, so thanks for the info. To me, the fact that the Chizik way will be firmly in place by then is another intangible that excites me. I always try to stay optimistic, but I was also overly optimistic for the '05 and '06 seasons after the Independence Bowl victory and the young talent that was on that team...

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

There is not one loss on the offensive side of the ball that will hurt us in 09 IMO. Scales is the 3rd maybe 4th best back on the team. We will have AROB, BO, and Scwartz running the ball so we will be better in 09.

Sumrall is an average receiver and we won't miss a beat when he leaves. Guys like Carlson, Sed J, Darks, Range, will fill in just fine if not be an upgrade.

Dedrick would appear to be the biggest loss but with the great talent we APPEAR to have at the OL position coming through the ranks hopefully we don't miss a beat at his position.

On defense we have some bigger losses. Taylor is a good DE. He lacks speed but has great size and heart. Most teams could replace Taylor pretty easy but we are very thin at DE and he will be missed quite a bit. I am hoping that Lyle can step up this year and than Jake Mc can be a player in 09.

Bibbs is going to hurt as he has some good size and speed. We need Cameron Bell, and someone like Ferguson to step up next year.

Put me in the category that is not a big Singleton fan. His worst game last year was considered his best. He had those two picks but they were off deflected passes after he had already gotten beat. He got torched the rest of the day. But he is an experienced corner and that is tough to beat. I feel confident that L Johnson and Benton will be better players though

Chris Brown has had some good games for us but I don't think he will be that difficult to replace. Hopefully Land pans out and/or we move another player to the safety position

All in all the 09 season is our best chance to have a great year. We will have an experience QB, RB, WR's, TE, and OL. Our defense should be faster and we shouldn't miss a beat. I hope good coaching can have us contending for a Big 12 North title

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254

I'm very concerned about DE and LB for the future.

Starter
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 152

I really, really hope that some seniors step up this year and by the end of the season we are wondering who will ever be able to replace them.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,291
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 157

as am I. We need to get a few gems at those positions in this years recruiting class.

#BEATIOWA

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 54

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    i would agree, though i wouldn't say VERY concerned. i trust that the staff recognizes this and looks to bring in a juco DE and possibly LB as well. we will have okay starters, just no real depth without some good recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    And OL appears to be building some nice depth.
    this is the part that excites me far more than anything else going on with the team.

Husker Hater

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by dinger View Post
    i would agree, though i wouldn't say VERY concerned. i trust that the staff recognizes this and looks to bring in a juco DE and possibly LB as well. we will have okay starters, just no real depth without some good recruiting.
    Normally I am against the quick fix of juco guys and much prefer high school players, but I tend to agree with this. It appears we will be solid at all positions except possibly DE and LB for 2009. When this just so happens to coincide with a very favorable schedule, you need to take advantage. Of course I would prefer that guys like Jake McD and others will surprise us all and be ready by 09, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I'm too busy being worried about THIS year to spend time worrying about NEXT year

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    There is not one loss on the offensive side of the ball that will hurt us in 09 IMO. Scales is the 3rd maybe 4th best back on the team. We will have AROB, BO, and Scwartz running the ball so we will be better in 09.

Sumrall is an average receiver and we won't miss a beat when he leaves. Guys like Carlson, Sed J, Darks, Range, will fill in just fine if not be an upgrade.

Dedrick would appear to be the biggest loss but with the great talent we APPEAR to have at the OL position coming through the ranks hopefully we don't miss a beat at his position.

On defense we have some bigger losses. Taylor is a good DE. He lacks speed but has great size and heart. Most teams could replace Taylor pretty easy but we are very thin at DE and he will be missed quite a bit. I am hoping that Lyle can step up this year and than Jake Mc can be a player in 09.

Bibbs is going to hurt as he has some good size and speed. We need Cameron Bell, and someone like Ferguson to step up next year.

Put me in the category that is not a big Singleton fan. His worst game last year was considered his best. He had those two picks but they were off deflected passes after he had already gotten beat. He got torched the rest of the day. But he is an experienced corner and that is tough to beat. I feel confident that L Johnson and Benton will be better players though

Chris Brown has had some good games for us but I don't think he will be that difficult to replace. Hopefully Land pans out and/or we move another player to the safety position

All in all the 09 season is our best chance to have a great year. We will have an experience QB, RB, WR's, TE, and OL. Our defense should be faster and we shouldn't miss a beat. I hope good coaching can have us contending for a Big 12 North title

what he said

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

We need underclass men to step up big= A-Rob

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I'm not that worried about DE and LB. I bet that Parker will move over to Taylor's position and him and Lyle will both start. Bell should step in for Bibbs and not miss a step. I do think that they could use a JUCO at these positions for depth. If they can find a three year JUCO, that would be a good situation.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 609

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    There is not one loss on the offensive side of the ball that will hurt us in 09 IMO.

Gotta disagree. We don't really have anyone with the sheer athleticism and skill set to cover the back side pass protecting spot after Dedrick leaves--which is why James Carpenter would be so important. Dedrick is probably the key loss on offense.

It's nice to have faith, but you're putting a lot of pressure on a bunch of newconers. Losing Sumrall, Franklin and Messiah means losing an awful lot of experience.

I am hoping that Lyle can step up this year and than Jake Mc can be a player in 09.
    Not counting on McDonough, except as a backup. He might even grow into a tackle by this time next year. I'm quite certain they'll sign a juco to start.

Bell might well be starting by mid season. Losing Bibbs won't hurt at all.

All in all the 09 season is our best chance to have a great year.
    Not true. With so many freshmen and sophs who will be juniors and seniors, '10 is our best chance to have a truly GREAT year. And it rolls on from there.

I probably should mention that I expect a winning season this year, and 8-9 wins next. However, neither of those constitutes a GREAT year in my book.

Aside from strongside defensive end, safety will be what I'm most concerned about. However, alot of those '08 signees at corner could certainly help there. At Texas, Chizik made a habit of converting high school corner signees to safety--with great success.