Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41

National Title Game Debate

Here it is - one of the most heated topics in the history of college football - especially now with the "hated" BCS. Who belongs in the national title game?

2006 is shaping up to put a bit of mud on the face of the BCS, unless a few things go a certain way. With the loss of a few top teams on Saturday - the BCS was helped out a ton.

This much we do know...

The winner of OSU/Michigan will play for the national title.

That's it. It appears if USC wins out, regardless of what everyone else does - they're in. If Notre Dame wins out, it could be between them and the winner of Florida/Arkansas.

If Rutgers wins out, what about them? They would have defeated 2 top 10 teams. If WV beats them, what about them? They would only have one loss to a top team, just as some of the other 1 loss schools.

What about Wisconsin? They only have one loss to a team playing to get into the national title game? Soft schedule, yes - but you can only play who's on your list. If them, what about Wake Forest?

Heck...Boise State looks to run the table on their blue field of death.

Plenty of scenarios left to play out, that's for sure. The only reason the BSC may get a pass this year, is many of the top teams square off against each other over the last few weeks. If Texas, Cal and Auburn don't take major dumps last week, it's a much different story though.

But, they did and we're still left with what likely will be some level of controversy.

So lets debate - speculate the team(s) at the top that you think will table and if they belong in or out!

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: National Title Game Debate

I would love to see Rutgers in it but I don't think they have a chance even if they do win out. I think it will be USC, mainly b/c they are the last team I want in.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

If Rutgers is undefeated they should have a shot at the title. They have played in a weaker conference but they have played some tough teams.

And I hate USC and do not want to see them play. I've been to a couple of their games and it's the Worst college atmosphere ever.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think that if Rutgers goes undefeated, they deserve to play in the BCS championship game. Which, judging by the BCS standings, they will. Four of the computers had them ranked as the 2nd best team, and the other two had them ranked at 3rd. If Rutgers beats WVU, especially with the loss by either OSU or Michigan, you could easily see Rutgers jump in the standings.

It should also be noted that USC has some very losable games remaining, and personally, I don't think they're that good. They have games against Cal, Notre Dame, and UCLA, all games that they could lose pretty easily

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,064
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Wisconsin is ineligible for a BCS bowl due to a two-team per conference limit. Since they can pass neither Michigan (due to an early-season loss) nor Ohio State, they will go to the Capital One Bowl, which is total BS because they'll probably wind up around #5 in the BCS rankings, as six teams ahead of them have to play each other (Notre Dame @ USC, Rutgers @ West Virginia, and Arkansas vs. Florida).

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by sodakjoe View Post
    It should also be noted that USC has some very losable games remaining, and personally, I don't think they're that good. They have games against Cal, Notre Dame, and UCLA, all games that they could lose pretty easily
    That's the problem with the computers. USC is going to jump up if they win those games because of their strength of opponent. I don't think I would even watch a game between OSU and USC. They are my two of my three least favorite teams of all time.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Another big Rutgers supporter here. IMO, they deserve it if they win out. I just think they'll get screwed, even with the computers.

Would be nice if there was a way to calculate where they'd fall in the BCS if they win out and were ranked like 3rd or 4th by the voters. I think they'd for sure fall short of USC and likely Florida - possibly ND.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

IMO it should be Rutgers (assuming they are unbeaten)! If West Virginia would have been undefeated, do you think there would be any doubt that the title game would be OSU/Michigan vs. West Virginia??? No.

Why not Rutgers? They will have played the exact same conference schedule and about the same non-conference schedule. Who has WV played? They played 3 crap teams and Maryland. Rutgers played South Florida and 3 crap teams.

This is the case of another team getting screwed by the Pre-season polls (just like Auburn a few years ago). Because Rutgers wasn't ranked, they will have a hard time getting into the title game if they are unbeaten.

This whole rant is assuming Rutgers wins out...and if they don't, the argument still applies because it has happened and probably will happen again.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Rutgers!

Here is my point. When the BCS was dreamed up several years ago a specific list of conferences were deemed "BCS Conferences" The Big East is one of those conferences was named one of those. We can argue over and over about how the defection of several good teams has resulted in a "weaker" conference, but with those arguements aside, if there are 2 undefeated teams from BCS conferences I believe those teams should be in the Championship game.

Go Rutgers!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Wisconsin is ineligible for a BCS bowl due to a two-team per conference limit. Since they can pass neither Michigan (due to an early-season loss) nor Ohio State, they will go to the Capital One Bowl, which is total BS because they'll probably wind up around #5 in the BCS rankings, as six teams ahead of them have to play each other (Notre Dame @ USC, Rutgers @ West Virginia, and Arkansas vs. Florida).
    I did not know there was a maximum per conference. Very interesting.

Thanks for that nugget!

IMO on Wisky - they don't belong in a BCS bowl.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

What about a OSU/Michigan rematch?

PS. I hope that doesn't happen.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

This debate every year is the reason a playoff should be instituted. Converting some bowls to playoff bowls would also mitigate some of the complaints about the watering down of bowl presige by having so many. There would still be bubble teams for the playoff, but it would be an improvement. Maybe send all BCS conference champs plus a couple at-large teams?

I'm pulling hard for the non-traditional power, Rutgers. However, it is unlikely they will play for the championship, even if they finish undefeated.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Oh, on the Rutgers vs. West Virginia schedule, at least Rutgers played a Big 10 school in one of their non-conference games. Granted, Illinois is bad, but I'm guessing Rutgers didn't know that when they scheduled them. Most of the time when a school like Rutgers plays anyone from the Big 10, the Big 10 wins.

They've got to get some "credit" for that, as they can't control how good/bad Illinois was.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    What about a OSU/Michigan rematch?

PS. I hope that doesn't happen.
    I hope the same. It's possible, yet I pray it won't happen.

IMO, it's not only unfair to the winner - it's unfair to the fans and all of college football.

How often do teams face one another and the very next game for each team - is to play that same team again? Almost never - and that's how it should be - never.

It would be a very bad thing for the BSC title game to have a "been there, done that" theme.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

And what about teams without conference championship games? Is it fair if they leap frog a legitimate NC contender with an "extra" loss in the conference title game?