Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    A thought provoking commentary by Paul Clark.....well done sir...

Link to blog entry...

<span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">I removed the text so as to not be in copyright violation. -Jeremy</span>

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 296
    Given: 144
    It is a great read and I think that he has some valid points. I commented to him that I think you have to be careful in always saying the fans are doing enough because it can make them complacent.

I personally think ISU has more fans in the state than Iowa does but yet they get the publicity because they demand it, and to a certain degree, earn it with their fan showings. I hate saying that with every ounce in me but to some degree it&#39;s true.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    I can&#39;t really disagree with anything he wrote. .

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 94
    Wow, that was pathetic IMO. A ***** and moan section by Paul Clark...what a great read..."I didn&#39;t get a job on KXNO", "Steve Deace said I was a desperate hire", "Marty is a bum".

He bashes Jon Miller for being passionate. While I dislike Iowa as much as the next Cyclone fan, but give JM credit for being true to his team. Don&#39;t bash him for getting the KXNO gig, bash the KXNO/Clear Channel personnel who made the decision. But Paul can&#39;t do that because he cashes a check from them.

Telling Jamie Pollard to stop using the "Cyclone Nation" phrase is an even bigger joke. He isn&#39;t by any means promoting Cyclonenation.com. It isn&#39;t Jamie&#39;s fault that using "Cyclone Nation" is a common way to refer to a team&#39;s fanbase and that it&#39;s also the name of a competitor&#39;s website.

I&#39;m surprised he didn&#39;t complain that CycloneFanatic has stolen some of his business.

I don&#39;t even know the guy but that doesn&#39;t mean I can&#39;t attack him just like he did to other&#39;s mentioned in that article. Sorry, I&#39;m off my soapbox and don&#39;t usually rant like this but that article was full of cheapshots and very unprofessional.

Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cycloneworld &#064; Jun 2 2006, 02&#58;16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Wow, that was pathetic IMO. A ***** and moan section by Paul Clark...what a great read..."I didn&#39;t get a job on KXNO", "Steve Deace said I was a desperate hire", "Marty is a bum".

He bashes Jon Miller for being passionate. While I dislike Iowa as much as the next Cyclone fan, but give JM credit for being true to his team. Don&#39;t bash him for getting the KXNO gig, bash the KXNO/Clear Channel personnel who made the decision. But Paul can&#39;t do that because he cashes a check from them.

Telling Jamie Pollard to stop using the "Cyclone Nation" phrase is an even bigger joke. He isn&#39;t by any means promoting Cyclonenation.com. It isn&#39;t Jamie&#39;s fault that using "Cyclone Nation" is a common way to refer to a team&#39;s fanbase and that it&#39;s also the name of a competitor&#39;s website.

I&#39;m surprised he didn&#39;t complain that CycloneFanatic has stolen some of his business.

I don&#39;t even know the guy but that doesn&#39;t mean I can&#39;t attack him just like he did to other&#39;s mentioned in that article. Sorry, I&#39;m off my soapbox and don&#39;t usually rant like this but that article was full of cheapshots and very unprofessional.

[/b][/quote]

Can understand your point ....if this is considered unprofessional...then there is a lot of that going around from all corners...

Walk On
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Paul wrote down a lot of what I was thinking. I thought it was perfectly fine for people to want a cyclone biased sports talk show as apposed to a hawkeye biased show. In my mind no one is saying the move of games to 100.3 is bad...its fantastic in fact. Its more that fantastic and is a step in the right direction.

The real issue is sports talk.

Steve Deace said the people that are complaining now are the people that were complaining before.

That may be true or it may not. I donít know. And neither does he really. And even if it were true if you didnít like Deace from a cyclone perspective. You certainly arenít going to like the people replacing him.

IMO, like Deace said, he is drawing a pay check and has to support KXNO and canít sabotage its ratings.

Every sports team has fans like discombobulated....thatís not the issue in my mind..even though they tried to make it the issue.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    After I read Paul&#39;s report, I went to look at his story archives for a story or an item on Jamie&#39;s punking the Hawks with that billboard, his thoughts about Jamie getting the CRN onto a 100,000 watt blowtorch and all the good that is going on in Cyclone Nation.

Nothing like that.

Rather, a weak attempt at Paul jumping up and down waving, &#39;look at me&#33; look at me&#33; I want to be relevant&#33; I want to matter&#33; Damn it, look at my picture and come up and tell me how much you like me when you see me&#33;&#39;

That was what I took away from that.

This is a time for Cyclone fans to be very happy, very excited. We have a great AD who is taking Hawk names.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Paul was dead on period. That you can&#39;t see that is your own fault.

It wasn&#39;t &#39;pathetic&#39; at all. Not sure where you get that from.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    LOL&#33; These posts against Paul are pretty humorous if you ask me.

Love it.

Walk On
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    I think you are off base also. I know it is easy to attack others over these internet waters where there is no responsibility due to the chance of ever seeing that person but Paul has done a good job over the years and promoted ISU athletics with every chance he has gotten and you probably don&#39;t know that fiscally it is not the easiest thing to do&#33;

He is not the least bit interested in the glory especially from some loud mouth moron (Deuce) or what station one listens to. That in itself is a indicator of how we need to get our programs back up so the topic is not this kind of crap but maybe kids we have signed or great gains the athletes have made.

Not worrying about drivel over a radio station or an internet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(youtsey123 &#064; Jun 2 2006, 04&#58;09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> After I read Paul&#39;s report, I went to look at his story archives for a story or an item on Jamie&#39;s punking the Hawks with that billboard, his thoughts about Jamie getting the CRN onto a 100,000 watt blowtorch and all the good that is going on in Cyclone Nation.

Nothing like that.

Rather, a weak attempt at Paul jumping up and down waving, &#39;look at me&#33; look at me&#33; I want to be relevant&#33; I want to matter&#33; Damn it, look at my picture and come up and tell me how much you like me when you see me&#33;&#39;

That was what I took away from that.

This is a time for Cyclone fans to be very happy, very excited. We have a great AD who is taking Hawk names.

[/b][/quote]

Making a difference everyday!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 494
    Given: 264
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cycloneworld &#064; Jun 2 2006, 03&#58;16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Wow, that was pathetic IMO. A ***** and moan section by Paul Clark...what a great read..."I didn&#39;t get a job on KXNO", "Steve Deace said I was a desperate hire", "Marty is a bum".

[/b][/quote]

He in now way bashed John Miller. where in the hell did you get that from?

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CloneIce &#064; Jun 2 2006, 08&#58;24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    He in now way bashed John Miller. where in the hell did you get that from?
    [/b][/quote]

Hey folks. Someone emailed me Clark&#39;s brown bag today, and though I found it entertaining, I didn&#39;t take any insult from it.

He is dubious of how I will present my show, like a lot of you are. I can respect and understand that.

'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

Recruit
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    I thought it was excellent. Yes, Jon Miller is a passionate Hawkeye. Paul is right on in that it would be impossible for Jon to set aside that passion. I felt that WHO lost the impact of Sound Off on Saturday afternoons when Jon came on the scene. It is suppose to be for all sports fans but it basically became a Hawk love fest. It was easy for Jon to fall into that trap. I will never listen to Sound Off again as it has lost its appeal to me.

"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
    -Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JonDMiller &#064; Jun 2 2006, 10&#58;13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Hey folks. Someone emailed me Clark&#39;s brown bag today, and though I found it entertaining, I didn&#39;t take any insult from it.

He is dubious of how I will present my show, like a lot of you are. I can respect and understand that.
    [/b][/quote]

Hey, Jon, it&#39;s cool of you to stop by. It&#39;s good to understand what fans like Paul are saying but what are you going to do about it? All Cyclone fans want is for you to be fair which we understand, as passionate fans of our school, is really tough to do. That goes beyond just having some ISU talk on your show. We want someone who will respect ISU when it is deserved and do something more than the bare minimum that you see (which will be different than we see). If you truly go out of your way to be fair then you can change our minds. It&#39;s going to take a lot of effort to pay attention to the details and silence that voice that wants to diminish us but it can be done.

Part of the reason I liked Deace because he was from the outside and I remain skeptical that someone that comes in with a Hawkeye bias can be fair but you do deserve a shot to do that but it&#39;s going to take some work on your part to convince us.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Hey Jon, I&#39;ve been known to stop by your Scout site because I really enjoy the community you&#39;ve built there. You do an excellent job covering the Hawkeyes and I have an interest in them as well (largely because I hear so much about them while listening to the radio.)

I have great hope for your show because I enjoy listening to you. I&#39;ve called in while you were filling in for Deace and I doubt you remember this, but I said that I really hoped you would get the opportunity to get your own show on KXNO some day. We had a fairly long exchange about my feelings on Mac.

When you would fill in for Deace the show would take and obvious Hawk slant... and I have no problem with this. You run Hawkeye nation. You probably know more about that program than anybody else in the media. It only makes sense that you would end up talking about them. It won&#39;t bother me one bit if things continue like this for you, because it is where your passion lies and I have always felt people will be better served talking about the things they are passionate about. This is why I am sad Deace is leaving, but understand his choice because I think he will do an excellent job at his new slot because of the passion he has for it. I wish you the very best, and get ready to learn those Cyclone two deeps which I know you&#39;ve been just dying to get in to. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

About Paul Clark:

I don&#39;t see how this was insulting to anyone. I don&#39;t think his point was to insult. The Cyclone Nation thing is ridiculous to me, because it&#39;s used so commonly in sports now... Red Sox Nation, etc. is just something to call your fanbase.

I think it was spot on and only reflected how many Cyclone fans feel right now. And as for Deace saying the only people that are complaining now are the ones that complained before... pashaw&#33; I was very happy with the way things were. I am skeptical now. I knew this change would come. I&#39;m just concerned about the choices made by KXNO.