Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

ISU out recruiting Iowa- so far

A couple months ago someone posted a thread, worrying about the fact that almost every other Big12 school had seven or eight commitments and ISU only had one. Since then we've gotten two more; meanwhile, Iowa has gained one and lost one. This brought Iowa's grand total to one (a two star full back from Toledo, OH), while the rest of the Big10 has numerous commits per school.

I know it is still too early to be bragging; still it is good to see that Iowa is facing the same recruiting woes that ISU faces. I also believe that this is going to be ISU's best recruiting class in years.

Also, check out Cyclone Sports Report (formally Cyclone Nation). On the right side of the screen there is an area titled "recruiting highlight videos" and one of the videos is talking about Bret Favre. I didn't know he had eligibility left.
    http://iowastate.scout.com/

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Re: ISU out recruiting Iowa- so far

The real question is, what are we doing in recruiting when compared to teams we play 8 games a year against (aka, the Big 12).

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I just don't get why people are so obsessed with Iowa. I hate the Hawks as much as the next guy and love to see the program struggle as much as it is, but it isn't making us any better.

Fact is we still only have 3 commits and it is way to early to be able to tell if this is going to be our best class, worst, or just an average class.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

We have a comparable class to Colorado, and I would say a better class than KState- so far.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 19

Dumb topic...sorry.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 174

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    The real question is, what are we doing in recruiting when compared to teams we play 8 games a year against (aka, the Big 12).
    This is exactly what I was going to post when I read the first post. Comparing ourselves to Iowa isn't exactly the benchmark at which we should be aspiring.

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 840
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 19

It is a fair comparison using Iowa. We both play in the same state and have similar recruiting difficulties. If one school is recruiting better than the other, then there is something more than location that is a factor.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I just don't get why people are so obsessed with Iowa. I hate the Hawks as much as the next guy and love to see the program struggle as much as it is, but it isn't making us any better.

Fact is we still only have 3 commits and it is way to early to be able to tell if this is going to be our best class, worst, or just an average class.
    I agree with these two. Saying that we have one of the worst recruiting classes in our conference, "but at least we're beating Iowa" is like Bob Barr saying he's way behind Obama and McCain, "but at least I'm beating Ralph Nader."

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by iowast8fan View Post
    It is a fair comparison using Iowa. We both play in the same state and have similar recruiting difficulties.
    I don't think it's an unfair comparison - but we play 1 game a year against them and 8 games a year against the Big 12.

I'd much rather be competitive in recruiting with 8 teams on our schedule, games that directly impact where we finish in conference standings, than one annual non-conference game.

We continue to believe we're better than Iowa, so if we're on par with recruiting vs Iowa and are pleased with it - what the heck does that say about us?

I'm looking forward to the day when our recruiting is matched up to Nebraska, Mizzu and hopefully - the big boys in the South.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I know it is still too early to be bragging; still it is good to see that Iowa is facing the same recruiting woes that ISU faces. I also believe that this is going to be ISU's best recruiting class in years.
    Bragging about the # of commits a school has over another is certainly up to the poster, but as I have always seen it, of little value.

Here is a list of the number of commitments Iowa had by this date, each year, going back to 2002. Kids from the state of Iowa in parenthesis

2008 4 (1)
    2007 5 (3)
    2006 2 (1)
    2005 7 (4)
    2004 5 (3)
    2003 2 (2)
    2002 Zero

And this year, Iowa is going to wind up with a class somewhere between 13 to 15 kids, according to Iowa's Recruiting Coordinator. It will be the smallest class Iowa has had under Ferentz.

It may grow by one more today, which would be the fourth time in the last 8 years that Iowa had 2 or fewer commits by this date of a recruiting year...or roughly half the time.

The same goes for comparing against in conference rivals. Throw Texas and Oklahoma out of the picture. They are in a different recruiting stratosphere. And some of the Texas schools, they have way more talent sitting there for them.

Historically, you could throw out Nebraska, but go look at who else is offering their commits this year. This isn't old school Nebraska.

I'd focus more on Colorado, KSU, OK State, Kansas and Mizzou were I an ISU fan...and KU and Mizzou will get a good bump this year.

And then, wait until December before you expend any worry.

Last edited by JonDMiller; 07-30-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 6

With their current situation, I hope we can out recruit Iowa this year.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,557
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 60

Being in a small state with limited D-1 talent, if we can't win the state recruiting, we aren't going to be matching up with the other 8 teams we play in conference each year for a long time, and will always be known as Baylor North, or maybe they would become Iowa State South....

Being in Arkansas, the smartest thing I have heard since I have lived here is that the reason Arkansas won't play Arkansas State is because Frank Broyles believed the state was too small to have 2 good athletic schools, and he didn't want to run the chance of allowing little brother to beat his teams, so as AD for 50 years, there was a policy in place to not play any other state school, unless it was happen-stance due to tournament seeding, but that rarely happened.

We didn't make it back to a bowl game until after we started beating Iowa again, but now that we are beating them with regularity, yes, we should focus on the conference, but we can't ignore the 800 lb gorilla in the state either.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,953
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 39

The only reason I would care about this topic is if we are both going after the same recruits, especially some in state ones and weather or not those recruits have committed to either school. Honestly, to even bring this topic up now does prove most peoples fascination with the U of I. And really, all that matters is that September 13th, ISU comes out victorious. The Hawkeyes can get all the commits they want, imo, as long as we beat them when we play them.

Honestly, I really don't like bashing on fellow Cyclones, but, come on. This pointing the finger, NA-NA-NA-NA-NA, we've got more recruits that you, really does just give the other side fuel to justify that we are obsessed with them. Really, how are we doing against, Mizzu, kNU, KState, and Kansas. Those schools are right here in our wheel house. That's who we are competing against for titles. Those are the schools we should be concerned with.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 823
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

For teams like ISU and Iowa, I don't think it is fair to say one team is out recruiting the other at the end of July. Unless one team had seven 5*/4* recruits already verballed there probably will never be too much of a difference between ISU/Iowa in the summer.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    With their current situation, I hope we can out recruit Iowa this year.
    This is an honest question:

How do we measure such things? By Rivals or Scout class rankings?

If so, I find such things as mostly entertaining.

I think you can figure out who has the ten best classes or so...but if we are going to start talking smack on classes ranked 38th and 44th, that seems a bit pointless.

I think a lot of it has to do with systems, as well. One school could recruit kids that were not rated so highly, but those players were a perfect fit for their system.

Texas Tech usually doesn't have top 10 classes, but they are in bowl games pretty much every year.

To me, recruiting can be entertaining, but perhaps I am old school when I say that i still place much more value and have much more enjoyment from the actual games.

'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'