Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 176,846, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    snowcraig2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    7,481
    Points
    176,846
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 506
    Given: 80

    Oil down to lowest level since May

    I am eying one of those nice Hummers everyone is talking about.....



    Oil falls to $121, lowest since May | Markets | Hot Stocks | Reuters



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 71,371, Level: 82
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JonDMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,522
    Points
    71,371
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Oil down to lowest level since May

    The president of OPEC, Chakib Khelil, on Tuesday called the current price "abnormal" and said he did not think the producer group should consider cutting output should prices continue to fall as markets were now balanced.

    Khelil, who is also Algeria's oil minister, said oil could fall to $70 to $80 in the long term, if the U.S. dollar continued to strengthen and geopolitical concerns eased.


    -----


    Now where have I heard that before?
    ;)


    Oil was bound to burst, because it was loaded by a spec frenzy...and traditional market factors were being overshadowed by emotion and the impact of the big funds...


    The main traditional factor that has been in oil is the weak dollar. I would hardly paint a rosy outlook for the dollar just yet, however.


    'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,496, Level: 61
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cloneu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    4,218
    Points
    39,496
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 26

    Re: Oil down to lowest level since May

    Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    I am eying one of those nice Hummers everyone is talking about.....



    Oil falls to $121, lowest since May | Markets | Hot Stocks | Reuters
    Picked up mine the other day when I saw gas get below $3.70. Roadtripping time!



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 79,865, Level: 87
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RyCy04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,366
    Points
    79,865
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 15

    Re: Oil down to lowest level since May

    Hummer?? Grow a pair and get a real truck.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 108,008, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,555
    Points
    108,008
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 178

    Re: Oil down to lowest level since May

    I'm curious, does anyone know what a gallon of gas cost when oil past 121 on the way up. I would wager to guess a lot less than it does now.


    Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 136,735, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    herbicide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    8,639
    Points
    136,735
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Oil down to lowest level since May

    Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    The main traditional factor that has been in oil is the weak dollar. I would hardly paint a rosy outlook for the dollar just yet, however.
    I would really like to see a chart/graph of the cost of oil in euro's. I'd bet it is a lot flatter than the cost of oil in USD.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 207,856, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,804
    Points
    207,856
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 371
    Given: 583

    Re: Oil down to lowest level since May

    This is a chart that does that. Go to the bottom and select "usa average"

    Historical gas price charts - New York City Gas Prices



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 72,065, Level: 83
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,085
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Bader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    4,437
    Points
    72,065
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 40

    Re: Oil down to lowest level since May

    Interesting, if you switch it to Des Moines, you can see the price of gas tends to reflect changes in price of crude quite a bit.

    NYNY doesn't seem to do that too much



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 108,008, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,555
    Points
    108,008
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 178

    Re: Oil down to lowest level since May

    So oil is the same as it was in May, but gas is still $.30 more right now than it was then.


    Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Oil down to lowest level since May

    Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    The president of OPEC, Chakib Khelil, on Tuesday called the current price "abnormal" and said he did not think the producer group should consider cutting output should prices continue to fall as markets were now balanced.

    Khelil, who is also Algeria's oil minister, said oil could fall to $70 to $80 in the long term, if the U.S. dollar continued to strengthen and geopolitical concerns eased.


    -----


    Now where have I heard that before?
    ;)


    Oil was bound to burst, because it was loaded by a spec frenzy...and traditional market factors were being overshadowed by emotion and the impact of the big funds...


    The main traditional factor that has been in oil is the weak dollar. I would hardly paint a rosy outlook for the dollar just yet, however.
    Whoa.... I just agreed with Jon Miller. Somebody pinch me?!


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 92,152, Level: 94
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 998
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,165
    Points
    92,152
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 82

    Re: Oil down to lowest level since May

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Whoa.... I just agreed with Jon Miller. Somebody pinch me?!

    Not while you're wearing that skirt....



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 219,735, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,426
    Points
    219,735
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 405

    Re: Oil down to lowest level since May

    I just ran out into my yard and dumped a gallon a gas on the ground for no reason. That is how cheap it is now.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 50,667, Level: 69
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,121
    Points
    50,667
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 13

    Re: Oil down to lowest level since May

    No doubt the value of the dollar has a major long term effect on the price of oil, and with record deficits, there is not a rosy outlook as John said. But the price peaked as the rhetoric against Iran peaked (including the Israeli bombing exercises). Once the threats stopped and it looked like Bush was actually softening his stance and considering talks, the price broke and has been going down ever since. Iran's President what's his name also said he is encouraged by the change in attitude and is encouraged it may lead to improved relations. I would bet the farm that if it looks like us or Israel is again moving toward bombing Iran, the price will spike again.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 258,769, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,041
    Points
    258,769
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 780
    Given: 672

    Re: Oil down to lowest level since May

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    I just ran out into my yard and dumped a gallon a gas on the ground for no reason. That is how cheap it is now.
    How much is grass seed?



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 732,786, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    48,558
    Points
    732,786
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,854
    Given: 869

    Re: Oil down to lowest level since May

    Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    No doubt the value of the dollar has a major long term effect on the price of oil, and with record deficits, there is not a rosy outlook as John said. But the price peaked as the rhetoric against Iran peaked (including the Israeli bombing exercises). Once the threats stopped and it looked like Bush was actually softening his stance and considering talks, the price broke and has been going down ever since. Iran's President what's his name also said he is encouraged by the change in attitude and is encouraged it may lead to improved relations. I would bet the farm that if it looks like us or Israel is again moving toward bombing Iran, the price will spike again.
    Add in lifting the executive ban on offshore drilling, and I am with you.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. Texas Tech
  • November 22, 2014
  • 02:30 PM