Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Dom Cathedral in Regensburg, Germany

My lovely bride and I have sent our children back to the US early, so they can participate in marching band practice and get ready for school. Because of this, we are able to do "couple" things again, and this morning we got up early and drove to Regensburg where we walked around for an hour or so, and then attended service at the Dom Cathedral.

It's a beautiful cathedral on the banks of the danube river. It just so happened the famous "domspaetzen" boys choir was singing this morning and it was a very beautiful and moving experience.

Anyone interested in learning more about the "dom" cathedral in Regensburg, here is a link.Regensburg Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW - I would recommend getting an ice cream cone from the Italian vendor across the street, after the service.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Dom Cathedral in Regensburg, Germany

"Dom" is the old German word for Cathedral. Der Dom - it must come from the Latin Domine?? The Germans also say Kathedrale. Die Kathedrale. It's interesting that Dom is masculine (der) but Kathedrale is feminine (die). Anyway, enjoy Deutschland!

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Beautiful!

Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

Walk On
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've been to this cathedral, it's pretty amazing. My facebook profile pics is actually me in front of it. After the cathedral, we went and toured the Audi factory, it's all so great over there!

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyQlone View Post
    I've been to this cathedral, it's pretty amazing. My facebook profile pics is actually me in front of it. After the cathedral, we went and toured the Audi factory, it's all so great over there!
    Ahhh, Ingolstadt. Home of the TT and R8. Been there, done that.

One of our favorite trips is to go to Ingolstadt and walk around, then travel up the road to Eichstatt and see the Figurenfeld.

The Figurenfeld is a series of sculptures that incorporate the landscape as a backdrop and as a feature. The stone carvings are situated on the field so they draw you to them and then to see the incredible views. And at the end, there is a field of suffering that just kills me, emotionally. I always go away feeling drained. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to see something completely different in Europe. www.wanderkompass.de - Eichstätt

While you're there, I would also recommend seeing the partially reconstructed Roman fort on the Limes, east of Eichstatt.

The Limes was like Hadrian's Wall in England, or the great wall of China, constructed by Rome to keep the Huns at bay.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

Germany is a very cool country. I lived there for a year and have been back several times. Frieberg and Bamberg are both cities that stick out for me. Sazlberg in Austria is also hard to beat.

The Germans work hard and for the most part keep their country very clean. Many fond memories there.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My grandpa was stationed in Regensburg during the occupation of Germany. Said he really liked it considering the circumstances.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,064
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    My lovely bride and I have sent our children back to the US early, so they can participate in marching band practice and get ready for school. Because of this, we are able to do "couple" things again, and this morning we got up early and drove to Regensburg where we walked around for an hour or so, and then attended service at the Dom Cathedral.

It's a beautiful cathedral on the banks of the danube river. It just so happened the famous "domspaetzen" boys choir was singing this morning and it was a very beautiful and moving experience.

Anyone interested in learning more about the "dom" cathedral in Regensburg, here is a link.Regensburg Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW - I would recommend getting an ice cream cone from the Italian vendor across the street, after the service.

Do they happen to serve Cy Cones???

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    Do they happen to serve Cy Cones???
    My kids used to make a game out of making their own "Cy Cones" using the existing colors of ice cream available. The main difference is that the Italian Ice actually tastes like something.

I know I should like Cy Cones, but I expect cardinal and gold ice cream to actually have some kind of flavor, and it doesn't....

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

It's Vanilla.

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmoneyr View Post
    It's Vanilla.
    I refuse to acknowledge that flavor as "Vanilla". I prefer to call that flavor "White", as it lacks anything remotely similar to vanilla.

However, Cy Cones are akin to communion wafers. They are symbols, and as such, I purchase one for each member of my family (except for my eldest, who has a red dye allergy, so she gets the "Yellow" only, once she instructs the vendor how to get a single color out of the machine.) each and every time we attend that second most holy site in Cyclone-dom, [insert angel chorus sounds]"Hilton Coliseum"[/insert angel chorus sounds]