Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 69

Mini Van vs. CUV

When kid number 3 came along in the fall of 06, we decided to replace the wifes Buick with a minivan. We've never been attracted to SUV's and always thought they were relatively small, didn't need 4wd, and wasted gas.

We ended up getting a Honda Odyssey minivan and really love the vehicle. It get's relatively decent mileage for it's size and has a ton of space in it, particuarly behing the 3rd row seats.

The minivan stigma thing you read about in the meida confuses me. I've read that soccer moms don't like being seen in them because people treat them like soccer moms? So does that mean if they are "seen" in a SUV or CUV, they're not soccer moms?

Thanfully my wife and I are both more practical then that and really don't care what other people think. I do like some of the CUV's out there, particuarly the GM Arcadia and the Mazda CX9, but both of those vehicles have less space then our Honda and will be pushing it to get as good a mileage as we do. Faced with the choice again, I'm sure we'd go for a minivan again...

Just wondering what the rest of you think?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,006
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 1

Re: Mini Van vs. CUV

We have a mini van with 3 kids and a dog and I wouldn't go back. You can easily get kids in and out and the storage is great. I have 3 kids so I really don't care what people think. The Gas mileage is way better than an SUV on average. I would say if you have 2 kids SUV's are still ok

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

We've been considering the Dodge Journey. Family friendly but not a minivan.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 344

Minivan makes more sense. You rarely need 4x4 and if it's that bad you should probably stay home, especially with young kids. We could also haul way more stuff with the seats out than I could with my pick up.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 392
    Given: 49

We broke down when we had the twins and got rid of MrsBrianHos's bug and got an odyssey. There is no way we could all squeeze into a CUV, they are just too small. With 3 car seats the 3rd row is a requirement.

Honestly I do not care what others think. A minivan is the only thing that can take us all somewhere. Even a huge Tahoe would be scrunched because it has less space than our van.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 416
    Given: 370

We have a Toyota Matrix and a Kia Sportage and both are great vehicles. The Matrix is a great CUV but you wouldn't hold more than 4 comfortably, you could do three in the backseat, but not comfortably. The Sportage is about the same. If you have more than 4, a mini van really is the best option for price, value, gas mileage and practicality.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

We have 4 kids and the minivan (Town & Country) is working out just fine. I have a sedan and will likely be moving up to a large SUV later this summer as I will often be the one picking up the kids from school along with some of their friends who live in the neighborhood.

At the risk of taking this down the path of a thread from earlier this week, I will state that the large SUV decision is based on the following:

1. My sedan is not big enough for all the kids I need to drive around.
    2. One trip with a big SUV is better than multiple people driving sedans.
    3. I do a lot of home improvement and need something to pull a trailer.
    4. I pull ATVs, which is too much weight for the minivan that we have.

The minivan is our travel vehicle, though and will likely stay that way. It's especially cool when we put the topper on it!

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I know at least three people who've started using minivans instead of pickups for work/business purposes.

I myself use my wife's minivan just like a pickup truck.

The cool thing is that you can reconfigure the sucker to meet your mission requirements.

I wouldn't use a minivan as a tow vehicle, though. Don't think they're really built for it.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 212

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    When kid number 3 came along in the fall of 06, we decided to replace the wifes Buick with a minivan. We've never been attracted to SUV's and always thought they were relatively small, didn't need 4wd, and wasted gas.

We ended up getting a Honda Odyssey minivan and really love the vehicle. It get's relatively decent mileage for it's size and has a ton of space in it, particuarly behing the 3rd row seats.

The minivan stigma thing you read about in the meida confuses me. I've read that soccer moms don't like being seen in them because people treat them like soccer moms? So does that mean if they are "seen" in a SUV or CUV, they're not soccer moms?

Thanfully my wife and I are both more practical then that and really don't care what other people think. I do like some of the CUV's out there, particuarly the GM Arcadia and the Mazda CX9, but both of those vehicles have less space then our Honda and will be pushing it to get as good a mileage as we do. Faced with the choice again, I'm sure we'd go for a minivan again...

Just wondering what the rest of you think?
    Good for you! Way too many people in this country buy what is cool instead of what is right. A minivan is the most fuel efficient, economical, and safest way to haul bigger families...NOT an SUV or even a CUV.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 939

I've driven both my parents Dodge Caravan and Chrysler Town and Country on long road trips. Unfortunately, I'm the kind of guy that needs to stretch out when driving, and within an hour of driving their vans my legs/knees begin unbearably cramping up and I'm doing everything I can to stretch my legs out, including making myself a hazard on the road by pressing my feet onto the floor so hard it causes me to stand up a little bit - which can cause me to not see the road clearly and/or turn the steering wheel unintentionally. Even driving around town on a regular basis causes my knees to cramp up. I don't complain much because it's my parents van, but I would never subject myself to that on a regular basis.

A couple of years ago on a business trip I was given a Hyundai Santa Fe rental. All kinds of "stretch-out" room and it was fun to drive. Some people will only drive vehicles based on best gas mileage, and that's fine. However, I'm not going to sacrifice personal comfort just to save 2, 3, maybe 5 mpg, and I'm not talking about something like leather seats or toys. I'm talking something that isn't going to be a literal pain for me to drive.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 638

My sister just got the GMC Acadia. Great vehicle. More space inside than you would expect. Good mileage too. Very nice vehicle so far, quiet, nice ride, good power. Highly recommend one.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 839
    Given: 3,502

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    We broke down when we had the twins and got rid of MrsBrianHos's bug and got an odyssey. There is no way we could all squeeze into a CUV, they are just too small. With 3 car seats the 3rd row is a requirement.

Honestly I do not care what others think. A minivan is the only thing that can take us all somewhere. Even a huge Tahoe would be scrunched because it has less space than our van.
    Can you fit a car seat in a bug? I have wanted a bug for forever, but don't want it to be unusable if/when we have kids.

M 7/09

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,868
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 69

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Can you fit a car seat in a bug? I have wanted a bug for forever, but don't want it to be unusable if/when we have kids.
    Get one if you want one now before kids. I gurantee you'll want a 4 door soon after having them.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 392
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Totally worthless with kids. Rear facing carseats will not fit in the back. Well it may for you since you are like 3 foot 2 inches tall .

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 65

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Get one if you want one now before kids. I gurantee you'll want a 4 door soon after having them.
    Agreed. We had a 2 door Explorer and after two months of my wife stretching/reaching at an awkward angle to get the baby carrier into the back seat we traded it in for our Outback.