Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Question SPECULATION

I recall when NU was looking for a coach - some of the process was carried out in the semi-open and it appeared that two or three offers had been made and turned down making both the U and the prospects look bad. I'm sure no one wants that for ISU nor for those we're interested in.

Jeremy and other reporters have sources which have proven reliable in the past. But, Pollard has been pretty emphatic - DMR quote - "The only thing I will say about the search process is that I'm not saying one thing about this search."

Speculating is fun - so long as we remember that's all it is.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 135

Re: SPECULATION

But with NU, there AD made it clear he was looking for a national championship from their new coach, and their last coach was fired after a 8-3 season. Pollard is not making expectations like that, and Iowa State would be thrilled with a 8 or 9 win season!

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Re: SPECULATION

Yes, the particulars are different, but, the concern remains the same. If AD talks to Coach X and Coach X doesn't come, the U can look bad for being turned down or Coach X can look bad for looking and not getting an offer. Often there is never an offer or a turn down; the parties just do some fact finding and decide it isn't a match. That's why prudent parties try to be as discrete as possible and the AD really has no option but to try. The problem for the secret keeper is that coaches and ADs are so highly visible that a well connected sleuth like Jeremy can directly, or indirectly, track their movements and some of their communications.

That said, I hope the present speculation is accurate. We may be on an emotional roller coaster for the next week.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads