Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 12

Thumbs up Harbaugh's resume' again incase some of you missed it. IMPRESSIVE!

Jim Harbaugh begins his third year as the University of San Diego head football coach and quarterbacks coach. Last year he guided the Toreros to a program-best 11-1 overall record, the PFL North Division title, the outright PFL Championship, and to the No. 1 ranking for all I-AA Mid-Major programs. The Toreros received the Sports Network Cup for being the No. 1 ranked team in the final poll. Additionally, Harbaugh was the PFL North Division Coach of the Year and a nominee for the I-AA Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year. Under his direction the Toreros enter the 2006 campaign having won 16 of their last 17 games.
    In 2004, his first year, he directed the Toreros to an overall mark of 7-4, including 5 straight wins to end the season. USD finished 3-1 in the Pioneer Football League North Division, good for a 2nd place finish. Five of his players were recognized as All-America; twelve were recognized as All-PFL; eight players were selected to the PFL All-Academic Team; and quarterback Todd Mortensen, the PFL co-Offensive Player of the Year, signed a free agent contract with the Detroit Lions.
    Harbaugh, a former NFL quarterback who played 15 seasons in the league, played locally with the Chargers between 1999-2000. The 41-year-old Harbaugh, who resides in nearby Coronado, played in 177 league games with 140 starts since originally entering the NFL as a first round pick by the Chicago Bears in 1987. For his career, he completed 2,305 of 3,918 passes for 26,288 yards with 129 touchdowns.
    Harbaugh played seven seasons for the Bears and passed for a career-high 3,121 yards for Chicago in 1991. He played for the Indianapolis Colts from 1994-97 and in 1995, achieved career highs in completion percentage (63.7) and touchdown passes (17). While with the Colts he led the team to the AFC Championship game; was voted to the Pro Bowl; was named the 1995 Comeback Player of the Year and the AFC Player of the Year; and was runner-up in the NFL MVP voting. Harbaugh played for Baltimore in 1998, and following his two-year stint with the Chargers closed out his NFL career with Carolina in 2001.
    In January, 2005, Jim was inducted into the Indianapolis Colts Ring of Honor. Harbaugh, one of the most successful and popular players in the club's 21-year Indianapolis era, played from 1994-98 with the Colts. He was inducted at halftime of the Colts-Denver Wild Card playoff game. Jim started for the majority of his Colts career, completing 746 of 1,230 passes for 8,705 yards and 49 touchdowns. He won the NFL passer rating title in 1995 at 100.7. Harbaugh joins the late Robert Irsay, Bill Brooks, Ted Marchibroda and Chris Hinton in the Colts Ring of Honor.
    Harbaugh was a four-year letterman at the University of Michigan and finished his college career in the top five in passing attempts, completions, completion percentage, passing yards and touchdown passes. Playing for Bo Schembechler, he was a three-year starter and led the Wolverines to appearances in the Fiesta, Holiday, and Rose Bowl games. As a senior in 1986 he guided Michigan to a No. 2 national ranking while earning Big Ten Player of the Year honors and finishing third in the Heisman balloting.
    Over his final eight seasons in the NFL (1994-2001), Jim was an NCAA-certified unpaid assistant coach under his father, Jack, at Western Kentucky University. Serving as an offensive consultant, he scouted and recruited high school student-athletes throughout several states including Florida, Indiana and Illinois. He was involved in recruiting 17 players on WKU's 2002 I-AA National Championship team. His dad was a football coach for 41 years, including 14-years as Head Coach at Western Kentucky. His brother, John, is currently Special Teams Coordinator with the Philadelphia Eagles; and his brother-in-law, Tom Crean, is Head Basketball Coach of Marquette University. Harbaugh has been very active in Community Service ventures. He has been actively involved with the Harbaugh Hill Foundation, the James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children (Indiana University), Western Kentucky University, the Jim Harbaugh Foundation, the Uhlich's Children's Home and the Children's Miracle Network. Jim, who resides in Coronado, is the father of three kids - sons, Jay and James, Jr., and one daughter, Grace.

procad("http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/CSTV.USD/SPORTS.MFOOTBL.MTT;pos=skyscraper;sz=160x600;dcopt=ist;",0);

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Harbaugh's resume' again incase some of you missed it. IMPRESSIVE!

Looking... looking... NOPE, no DI experience at all. This guy may be a great DI coach some day but we can't afford to wait for him to grow into the job. I hope we pass.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 18

Jaime Pollard > you

Starter
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by businesscyman View Post
    Looking... looking... NOPE, no DI experience at all. This guy may be a great DI coach some day but we can't afford to wait for him to grow into the job. I hope we pass.
    May not have DI experience, but he has NFL coaching experience. If your argument that DI-AA head coach is less than a DI assistant, than NFL assistant is greater than DI head coach. Your formula works in Harbaugh's favor.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 12

...not only that, but if many of you caught the latter of his Bio... His brother, John, is currently Special Teams Coordinator with the Philadelphia Eagles; (what a connection that is) and his brother-in-law, Tom Crean, is Head Basketball Coach of Marquette University. (I wonder if there's a Pollard connection there?)

Walk On
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

His body of work speaks for itself. Lets get a guy in here who will sell some tickets and create some excitement. Plus, Harbaugh may have some contacts in Football rich S. Cal.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    Jaime Pollard > you

If that was intended for me... without a doubt, but I will be surprised, no, very surprised if Jaime picks this guy. If he does he must be very special.

Boot - What NFL caoching exp does he have? I read what is below and don't see it.

Walk On
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't like this choice -- it smells too much of EIU and Alford. Remember he was the 'golden boy' who made his mark by winning at division 3 level.

We do not want to go through that situation at ISU where we are paying big bucks for a guy to get his D1 experience. This is a do or die hire -- we need someone with a proven track record -- either current D1 or NFL experience.

Harbaugh is a nice romatic notion but I cannot believe JP would fall into this folly -- he knows he needs someone who has been there and done it -- and he needs him now.

Just my $.02

Rookie
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would be skeptical of JH, but he would sell tickets for a few years. I do agree with Mark a bit about being the "golden boy" scenario. X pro player wins with less talent, blah blah. Now, the only thing I will say, is that JH's wins are more impressive then getting a little lucky in the NCAA bball tournament. Football is a different beast.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Harbaugh was the Oakland Raider's Quality Control Coach for 1 year and the Quality Control/Quarterbacks Coach for 1 year. Al Davis thought he had the potential to become an NFL Head Coach.

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The more and more I think about it I am leaning more toward Harbaugh over Pelini

Speechless
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 39

Who knows? But Harbaugh is definitely a winner. If we used the old adage that he has to be a Div IA coach before hiring him and EVERYONE used the same criteria, there would be NO Division IA coaches....period. The Old Catch 22. That is what has held Tim Brewster back. No Head Coaching experience (except high school).

Too bad Harbaugh couldn't have gotten some Division IA experience as a Head Coach. I guess his 15 YEAR NFL CAREER got in the way.

Harbaugh is either the right man or not for the job. He has some Head Coaching experience. He has assembled a staff and it sounds as if he is ready to make the move and has the people in place that are willing to go with him. I know for a fact, that HIS NAME ALONE is worth a TON of publicity. If he can coach (and he appears to be able to) we could have stumbled onto a real gem. Probably only here 5 years or so (but then you never know). We have had a couple coaches leave that have publicly stated they wish they never would have left (Earle Bruce and Tim Floyd) for greener pastures. If Harbaugh would take the job and leave for a better job it will have meant that we would have turned the corner with our program. His name and excitement generated would certainly make our expansions an easier sell.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

We are not going to find a guys whos been in D1 and "done it"!! Why in the world would he want to come back and "do it again"? I would love to get a coach who has established himself as one of the best coaches in the nation, but its not going to happen!

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The only thing here is that we won't get anyone that is a proven HC in D1. (I don't say this because we're not good enough, but there's no one available that has proven to get a program where we want to be. Mike Price has gotten 7 wins, but I think we want more. He also has baggage.) We can get great D1 coordinators, or great D1AA head coaches, but there's going to be risk associated with either. What JP has to do is decide what option exists that has the most promise combined with the least risk.

I'm glad he has to weigh the promise vs. risk thing, and not me.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If hiring Harbaugh is a folly, then I hope it falls under the same type of folly as Seward's Folly when he bought Alaska from Russia. We couldn't even understand how great of a deal we were receiving back then.

Last edited by hansen55; 11-13-2006 at 02:30 PM.