Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

How long ago

does anyone think the decision to replace DMAC was in the works? With the speed that JP is moving in finding a replacement, I believe it was made some time ago. The Kansas game might have expedited the process but I believe it was made well before the game. Hiring a major college football coach that fits the university's needs and philosophy takes some research time on potential candidates. For JP to have determined a front runner this early in the process tells me that he had been working on the research for a while. I am not saying this is good or bad, just an observation.

"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
    -Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

Starter
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: How long ago

How long ago was Pollard hired? That's probably about how long it has been.

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 992
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Well sure Jamie has been thinking about it for a while. Heck we all have.

A good athletic director will put his or her feelings aside and take a critical look at the program and make contingency plans.

I think JP mentioned when he hired Greg McDermott that most athletic directors have a short list of coaches they want to talk to if they're looking. It would be no different for football except the decision has a lot bigger financial implications.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I think that Mac had been informed upfront that while there wasn't a certain number of wins required, he wanted to see what I call "hopeful" football. Yeah there was a tough schedule in place, but I think that Pollard wanted to see quality teaching, and a competitive football team.

I think that it was pretty obvious how bad, fundementally, this team has been which speaks to the quality of teaching that has been done.

And as far as being competitive, unfortunately the results speak for themselves.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,982
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 36

Although we did have a tough schedule to some extent, it was far from anything that should have kept us out of a bowl or even kept us from getting seven wins. My guess is that was the goal. Get seven wins, get a bowl. I still believe had there been any hope left with this team regardless of wins, MAc might still have a job. I feel Mac had more scenarios that would have kept him at ISU than those that would have put him in this position. Problem is, from the first snap this year, nothing went right. And now, badrecruiting and not competing with the bottom feeders in our own conference promoted Mac's demise.

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 992
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Oh come on let's not down play the schedule too much! It was one of the toughest ones in the country!

I'm doubtful JP was expecting a bowl(sure it would have been a bonus). I think Jamie expected them to play competive football at a minimum which they haven't played at all. If we'd played every game like we played Iowa, Mac might have had a chance.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Oh come on let's not down play the schedule too much! It was one of the toughest ones in the country!

I'm doubtful JP was expecting a bowl(sure it would have been a bonus). I think Jamie expected them to play competive football at a minimum which they haven't played at all. If we'd played every game like we played Iowa, Mac might have had a chance.
    Let's be honest though, the schedule did not play out nearly as tough as everyone thought it would. And Mac's continual spin of it alienated a lot of his own supporters.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Prospect
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I believe that JP had coaches in mind for every sport when he got here. I also think that he is always updating and shopping around for replacements the he wants at ISU.

However, I don't think that this move was even thought about until after the Texas Tech game. He gave DMac a raise at the begining of the year...that tells me that he was hoping to keep him around. After the poor performance at homecoming JP probably started wondering if Mac was the guy. As the season went on, his decision became easier and easier.

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I think JP has his man ready to go and is waiting to let DMac go before he tells everyone.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 31

I think that the decision to let Mac go was made after the Tech game and was further substantiated by our nonappearances in games since. Lots of injuries and bad breaks, but we haven't even been competitive lately (which I think comes down to coaching) and Mac doesn't even have a clue on how to "pull one out of the hat".

I think our coach has been selected (I think it is Tim Brewster) and I think an announcement will be made right after the Mizzou game (the next week) out of respect for Mac.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81

Sagarin has our schedule at the 43rd toughest in America. Our schedule is the most overblown thing about this year, and that's saying something.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 454

I think Pollard went into this season with the same expectations we fans had. Look at what we brought back from last year ... Pollard, I am sure, looked over everything in his athletic department and FB seemed okay .... but half way through the season, it was evident that something needed to happen... and he acted.

I won't buy that Pollard had it in for Dan before the season started or after the first three games....

- keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,982
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Sagarin has our schedule at the 43rd toughest in America. Our schedule is the most overblown thing about this year, and that's saying something.
    CBS Sportsline has us at 78th, that's no where near a tough schedule. I was going to say, I've seen our schedule ranked anywhere from low 40s up into the 60s. This is the worst I've seen but, it probably has a lot to do with Texas' loss to KSU and Iowa losing again. I have to agree with you Bryce, to look at our schedule and blame anything from this year on that is just crazy.