Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Harrison Barnes: A Case for Cy!!

A few people have alluded to it here on this site, but I have not seen anyone really vet the issue. So, I want to more thoroughly test the main reason why I think HBarn should go to ISU despite being able to go to any program in the nation.

In most sports, momentum is often one of, if not THE, most important aspects in winning. Momentum is certainly critical at the game level. How many times have you seen a team blow a big lead when the momentum in the game shifted?

Momentum is also critical at the season level. How many times have you seen a team absolutely change its fortunes (sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad (ISU Football 2002)) in the middle of the season?

What is most important for this discussion is that momentum is also very critical at the recruiting and program levels.

If you get the right coach, the right players and the right level of success, you can completely change a program. For example, Texas A&M, where most grads view basketball as a temporary distraction until the next football season, recently became a large name in college basketball due to the addition of Billy Gillispie; solid play by Acie Law III, Joseph Jones and others; and a few years of success. As a result, the Aggies landed the 11th overall recruit (according to Scout.com) in DeAndre Jordan last year despite losing Gillispie to Kentucky. For 2008, they add another 4 star recruit in David Loubeau. For 2009, they have already signed two 4 star recruits and are in the running for a few others.

Similarly, Tennessee, another football first, second and third school, has recently became one of the powerhouses of college basketball. The addition of Bruce Pearl and some solid recruits and transfers, combined with quite of bit of recent success has changed the program around. Indeed, last year, Tennessee added a 4 star SG. In 2008, they add one 5 star and two 4 star players. In 2009, they have already locked up a 4 star player and are in the running for multiple others.

Also, the mere signing of high star recruits can help recruiting other players. It was no secret that many of the Fab 5 wanted to play together. Would Michael Beasley have gone to KSU if Bill Walker did not commit to KSU?

At the end of the day, if all of the other pieces are in place, momentum in recruiting can cause momentum of a program to change dramatically.

With this very long-winded background, let’s look at Harrison Barnes. If Harrison Barnes goes to Duke, Kansas, UNC or the like, is he a momentum catalyst? Simply put, no. He is just another fish in a very talented sea.

If HBarn goes to ISU, can he be THE catalyst to morph ISU into the next TAMU, Tennessee or even Duke? I am of the opinion the answer is yes. Why? Because I believe we have all the necessary pieces.

First, you need a great coach. Check. I believe Mac is a brilliant tactician and motivated enough to win at the highest levels (yes, even at the Final 4).

Second, you need to have a sufficient amount of existing and incoming talent that the addition of one player can turn the tide. Likely check. I know these are big assumptions given the past few years, but assuming Backins stays four years, Buckley and Staiger “are who we thought they were” and Dykstra can contribute right away; we have the makings of a deep tournament run in year 1 of the HBarn era.

Third, it is a strong positive to have a fan base that is willing and able to embrace a basketball program, such that future recruits will be sold when they visit your program. Check. I certainly know of very few, if any, other fan bases that embrace and support their team like ours. When we are mediocre, we still draw a fairly large crowd (I still think Beasley is shocked that Hilton was so full and loud when KSU played us this year even though it was already clear we had no shot at post-season play). Also, when we are winning, ISU fans fill Hilton like a 500 year flood that happens every 15 years or so.

Finally, the catalyst has to have the ability to cause all of the above to happen—i.e., it needs to be a catalyst. Check. HBarn certainly appears to have everything necessary to take ISU to the next level. The fact that he genuinely desires to stay for four years means the amount and duration of success that ISU would have would be long enough that other recruits would follow in HBarn’s footsteps.

No matter where he goes, he’s going to be famous, make millions of dollars and win games. He'll also get a very solid business education (whether at ISU or any of his other top choices).

So, if you are HBarn, do you simply want to be another talented fish in a very talented sea or do you want to go down in history as THE catalyst (i.e., the very first wikipedia entry that shows up for Iowa State Cyclones Basketball) of a powerhouse program, the one you’ve grown up next to and been apart of your whole life?

Contrary to many here, if I were the one making the decision, it would be an easy one—you can’t spell catalyst without CY!!

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 139

Re: Harrison Barnes: A Case for Cy!!

Post of the week

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Addict
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,347
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

What if he wants to go to school for, you know, an education? And he wants a degree in business, which is not the strong suite of Iowa State University. He can just as easily be the catalyst at dozens of other universities that are in largely the same boat that ISU is.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him around, but you can't expect the kid to come here based solely on the hopes and dreams of ISU fans, our mediocre basketball history and what has happened at other universities in the past - which you have no possible way of knowing we are in the same position as. He's gotta do what's best for him. I just hope he feels that ISU is what is best for him.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, you’re gonna hate what comes out of it. But when it’s good, it’s the best." - woot.com

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 320

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage;551442[B
    ]What if he wants to go to school for, you know, an education? And he wants a degree in business, which is not the strong suite of Iowa State University.[/B] He can just as easily be the catalyst at dozens of other universities that are in largely the same boat that ISU is.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him around, but you can't expect the kid to come here based solely on the hopes and dreams of ISU fans, our mediocre basketball history and what has happened at other universities in the past - which you have no possible way of knowing we are in the same position as. He's gotta do what's best for him. I just hope he feels that ISU is what is best for him.
    Last time I checked Business grads from ISU weren't exactly running short on job options...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,013
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    What if he wants to go to school for, you know, an education? And he wants a degree in business, which is not the strong suite of Iowa State University. He can just as easily be the catalyst at dozens of other universities that are in largely the same boat that ISU is.

"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures”." ~Robin Williams

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 27

Ok, I will play debbie downer here too. You all are getting your hopes set way too high for 1 player. Honestly, can we have a filter that blocks all Harrison Barnes posts? I want him to come to ISU as much as the next guy, but if Duke, NC, or KU are calling, I cannot fault him for moving to a national stage, ISU basketball is barely a local story.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,347
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Last time I checked Business grads from ISU weren't exactly running short on job options...
    No, but SUI has an engineering program too.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, you’re gonna hate what comes out of it. But when it’s good, it’s the best." - woot.com

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 126

Where ever he plays.........1 and done............NBA

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,312
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

I'll be anti-Debbie. I agree with being able to get Harrison could potentially be "program-changing." If we don't get him, it won't be the end of the world, but it would be a bummer.

Also, yes, Harrison would like to go to a school that has a good business program. Good for him! I hope he realizes that a hard work ethic will get him wherever he wants to go, the NBA, the professional business world, etc. A degree from ISU or from Harvard is only the beginning... and not the most important piece to the puzzle. He can succeed with either, it's up to him to do so.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 320

No, but SUI has an engineering program too.
    Yeah, but working at Wally-world isn't exactly making the most out of that degree IMO...

Actually, I take that back - it probably is...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by isuforlife View Post
    Where ever he plays.........1 and done............NBA
    Then why even be talking about a good school? Go to UNC or Duke and get national pub from day 1.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 61

I'm not going to comment on Barnes - but am going to comment on the repeated references by several on this site that are disparaging of the ISU school of business. I am a long time graduate of the school and have hired graduates of ISU and many other universities and colleges.

Maybe the school doesn't have the prestige or tradition of some of the other schools, but I can assure everyone - the education is quality and the academics are rigorous. I have an MBA from another university - which I won't name to avoid that debate - and the ISU undergrad was much more difficult than the other school graduate work. No comparison.

In short, don't sell the ISU business program short. Hopefully HB won't.

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 348

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Ok, I will play debbie downer here too. You all are getting your hopes set way too high for 1 player. Honestly, can we have a filter that blocks all Harrison Barnes posts? I want him to come to ISU as much as the next guy, but if Duke, NC, or KU are calling, I cannot fault him for moving to a national stage, ISU basketball is barely a local story.
    No offense but nobody forced you to read or comment on an obvious HB post. Not sure why people ***** about repeated topics. Everyone has their thoughts...no need to police them.

Rant over.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    No offense but nobody forced you to read or comment on an obvious HB post. Not sure why people ***** about repeated topics. Everyone has their thoughts...no need to police them.

Rant over.
    I hate it when people complain about the complainers.

KIDDING!

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 7

Harrison just got invited to the Nike Global Hoops summit, per a free Rivals article:
    CycloneReport.com - 2008 Nike Global Challenge