Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Law School

I am a junior at ISU and I'm exploring my options for after I graduate. I think I want to go to law school but not to become a lawyer. I am a political science major and I would like to become an activist. So what I am asking is for your opinion on law schools, best/worst. Also what are some good preps for the LSAT? Anything will help and thanks in advance.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Law School

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonefan101 View Post
    I am a junior at ISU and I'm exploring my options for after I graduate. I think I want to go to law school but not to become a lawyer. I am a political science major and I would like to become an activist. So what I am asking is for your opinion on law schools, best/worst. Also what are some good preps for the LSAT? Anything will help and thanks in advance.
    Kaplan has some good LSAT prep books with sample tests. Take the sample tests and time yourself, and it's a good indication of how you'll score. I did really well using that as my only prep method.

Regarding law school opinions, it's pretty subjective. Find the one that impresses you most.

Walk On
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoClone View Post
    Kaplan has some good LSAT prep books with sample tests. Take the sample tests and time yourself, and it's a good indication of how you'll score. I did really well using that as my only prep method.

Regarding law school opinions, it's pretty subjective. Find the one that impresses you most.
    do you think the prep courses would be worth the $1500?

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

do you think the prep courses would be worth the $1500?
    I guess it depends on how disciplined you are. The thing about the LSAT is that all of the answers are right there in front of you. If you're familiar with some of the problem styles, and solving it under a time constraint, then you'll do fine. If you can't buckle down and read a book, and force yourself to take the practice tests, a class can ensure you do that.

You can always buy the prep book with the tests, take a few, and see how you do. If you're not happy with your score, or your understanding of how the test will work then go ahead and register for a class.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 113

Don't go to jail two nights before your LSAT. This actually happened to me. I had been studying pretty hard for it, on top of my classes (one of which was 420 with Deam, and if you're in Poli Sci at ISU and want to go to law school, you best be taking that course), and it was a friend's 21st. I figured I would have a couple drinks, which turned into a lot, and while I was walking home by myself, a cop came up, asked me if I was drunk and hauled me off. Thankfully, I still did well enough to go where I wanted to go anyways (Drake), but I know I would have fared better had it not been for that idiot move. As far as where you want to go for school, if it's between the in-state schools, go to Drake if you want to be an actual lawyer, or go to Iowa if you want to be a prof/academic. In your situation, I'm not sure which school would be better suited.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I borrowed some books from a friend to study for the LSAT. I'd recommend taking philosophy/math 207 (symbolic logic) as a preparation for the logic games section. I also found my general philosophy background to be excellent preparation for the logical reasoning part of the test (which is half of it). I felt like I'd been preparing for it for four years.

I can't speak too much for other schools, but Drake has a legislative program that involves some working with the legislature and lobbying for bills in your third year. That might be a bit up your ally. Drake's proximity to the capital makes that possible, so a lot of law schools do not offer similar programs.

Seneca Wallace.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I have worked in the legal field (litigation) now for ten years. I am not a lawyer. One of the associates that used to work here is now studying to be a Massage Therapist, another one is now managing mailings for class action lawsuits.

Look around at law schools and do research before you choose to go to law school.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

If you just want a law degree and do not plan to utilize it, go to a state school unless they are under investigation...

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think I want to become an activist for people with disabilities. I would like to stay in state but I am willing to move to go to a better school.

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 7

Dont pay to prep. get the sample tests. Do them. Then look at the ones your got wrong to figure out how they get to the right answer. The only reason to pay to prep is if you can't commit to studying, in which case you probably shouldn't be going to law school. Or give a buddy $500 to kick your butt every night till you study.

I've practiced 10 years. I'm an Iowa grad who at one time subscribed to the theory that drake taught lawyers and Iowa taught teachers, but in truth that's a load of bull, and the drake grad who sits in the office next to me would agree. What you want to do should determine where you go to school, but first take the LSAT. For most people that and their grade point determine where they are likely to be able to get in. With that said I would over apply, Iowa, Drake, Creighton, UNL etc. if you can afford that. Keep your options open. If you want to save the environment then you might want to apply at schools that have programs with that emphasis, whether its official or unofficial. You say you want to be an activist but really what is that? Do you want to save the environment? Or organize for the unions? or lobby the legislature? Depending on what your answer is, frankly sometimes your best answer would be to get in the organization and start pounding the pavement for them. Three years later you might be in charge with a little effort. Hard work will go a long way. Or three years later you could have $60k in law school debt and an offer of a job making $24k a year. My best friend from law school is a lobbyist, far from an antivist, who has never practiced a day in his life. He had his first lobbyist job before he actually graduated. And seems to love his job.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

I think I want to become an activist for people with disabilities. I would like to stay in state but I am willing to move to go to a better school.
    How will law school help you with your career? Just curious, not trying to start anything.

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Before I took the LSAT, I bought a book that was about half instruction, half practice tests. When I finished that book I bought one with all practice tests, and that was it for my prep. I bombed the logic games section, but did great on the others, so it worked out for me.

If you know what you want to do, find somebody who has a job you'd like. Find out what he did to get there, and follow that route. Intern with or just shadow that guy for a while to make sure you really like the job, too. Contacting disability groups (the ADA?) would be a good way to find someone.

Ignore law school rankings. Look for schools that offer programs like what you're looking for. Look for schools close to where you want to work. If you want to stay in Iowa, U of Iowa and Drake are great. If you'll need to work in say Washington DC, it would be a good idea to look for an east coast school.

Good luck.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by akclone View Post
    How will law school help you with your career? Just curious, not trying to start anything.
    I do not want to become one of those people that sit in an office and think there making a difference when really no one can tell what youve done. I want to be a person on the front line, maybe a lobbyist, but IMO if I get a law degree it will help me advance farther and quicker... I know law school takes time........... I want to make a difference, there is a lot that needs to be done for people with disabilities. I should know as I have one

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

again thank you everyone, this is very helpful.

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

You should probably keep money in mind, too. I don't know how much an activist makes, but it's probably not a lot. If you borrowed a ton of money for undergrad, and plan on borrowing a ton more for law school, you could find most of your salary paying for student loans after graduation. I think a lot of people enter law school wanting to make a difference, and wind up taking an office job when they realize how much debt they have.