Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

How big is the FB rebuilding job?

At midseason I thought that the turnaround time might not take too long. Now, I am not so sure. ISU is winless in conference. The o-line play has been horrible all season long. I think next season was going to be long regardless, but I remain hopeful that '08 and '09 can be successful seasons.

IMO, the recent ISU coach who walked into the worst situation was Jim Walden. He had been voted PAC 10 coach of the year and inherited a program on probation with 67 scholarship athletes. I certainly don't think we've reached that nadir, but for a program that was challenging for a Big 12 North title last season we sure have come unglued.

URBCLONE

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,059
    Given: 558

Re: How big is the FB rebuilding job?

I agree, Walden had next to nothing to work with. I seem to remember some linebackers going 195 or so. When I look at the current roster, I really feel really good, but they are going to have a big job on the O line, not just in finding five starters, but also depth. The problem there is finding young lineman who can actually play right away.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 258

BIG JOB.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Well when your 0-7 in the coference, probably 0-8, you have nowhere but up...

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 258

Outside of our five new recruits, people transferring, and everyone aghast at our collapse, and EIU laughing, we have hit bottom. Now every win can be called an upset. I predict we beat Colorado next year.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

What was Walden's connection to Iowa State.......why would he come here after being so highly regarded out in Wassu? I always wondered that.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

How close has Dan taken us back to where we were at when he started here?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdave View Post
    How close has Dan taken us back to where we were at when he started here?
    Pretty damn close. Everyone keeps saying "look where McCarney took us" and "we were horrible before Mac got here." Well, are we somehow better than horrible right now? And where did Mac take us, besides 2 winless conference seasons in 4 years? The Register's stat of Mac's teams having been dead last in the Big 12 in 6 of the 12 years he was here is very telling.

We have a long, long rebuilding project ahead of us. Makes me feel bad for Blythe and Meyer. These guys both should have had absolutely spectacular careers at ISU, and now, this horrible play and teamwork could cost Todd millions of dollars that he deserves the opportunity to make in the NFL.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Pretty damn close. Everyone keeps saying "look where McCarney took us" and "we were horrible before Mac got here." Well, are we somehow better than horrible right now? And where did Mac take us, besides 2 winless conference seasons in 4 years? The Register's stat of Mac's teams having been dead last in the Big 12 in 6 of the 12 years he was here is very telling.

We have a long, long rebuilding project ahead of us. Makes me feel bad for Blythe and Meyer. These guys both should have had absolutely spectacular careers at ISU, and now, this horrible play and teamwork could cost Todd millions of dollars that he deserves the opportunity to make in the NFL.
    Give me a break!!!! We are nowhere near close to where we were before Mac got hear. I was at school during the Criner and Walden years and we are now at least competitive. Yes, we have fallen back quite a bit this year and I do agree it was time to let Mac go, but when we played EIU back then, if we lost by less then 40, we were doing good. Our facilities are much nicer now, we can recruit a lot better athlete now(not that you could tell this year). Don't go making judgements on his 12 year tenure on one year.

It was time for him to go, but I would take the team we have now over any team in the Criner-Walden era in a heartbeat. Watch any of the ESPN Classic games on Mediacom from ISU before 1998 and they make this team look like Superbowl contenders. Mac is definitely leaving this football program in better shape then when he started.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    Give me a break!!!! We are nowhere near close to where we were before Mac got hear. I was at school during the Criner and Walden years and we are now at least competitive. Yes, we have fallen back quite a bit this year and I do agree it was time to let Mac go, but when we played EIU back then, if we lost by less then 40, we were doing good. Our facilities are much nicer now, we can recruit a lot better athlete now(not that you could tell this year). Don't go making judgements on his 12 year tenure on one year.

It was time for him to go, but I would take the team we have now over any team in the Criner-Walden era in a heartbeat. Watch any of the ESPN Classic games on Mediacom from ISU before 1998 and they make this team look like Superbowl contenders. Mac is definitely leaving this football program in better shape then when he started.

OK, so the fact that the university actually spent money on the football program, something they had done briefly in the 70's with Lou McCollugh (sp) but not since, built the facilities you are speaking of. The athletic department spent more money on the program from the time that Mac was hired until the Ohio game than they had in 8 years for Jim Walden.

I have stated previously that 2000 brought some more upgrades, but the collapse of 2002, and the debacle of 2003, stymied all of that momentum. So when you look at the overall picture, I would agree that the structure is more in place to win, and I will credit Mac for that to a degree.

But that being said, Mac is not leaving the program in good shape at all. The fact that we are going to go winless again in the conference, and we have had this program in place for 12 years, does not lend itself to an idea that the program is in anything but disarray.

I know that there are a lot of sad people on this board because Mac is the "best coach ever at Iowa State," even if they aren't old enough, or didn't follow Iowa State when we had Johnny Majors or Earle Bruce. But he is leaving due to the fact that he did not win enough, and Iowa State is finally in the business of being a player in NCAA athletics, instead of a punching bag.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 55

Watch any of the ESPN Classic games on Mediacom from ISU before 1998 and they make this team look like Superbowl contenders. Mac is definitely leaving this football program in better shape then when he started.
    Actually, funny you bring this up, because I was just thinking about how I saw a replay on Mediacom a few months ago of an Iowa/ISU game from the early 90's, and that ISU team was pretty damn competitive. It was a game at Kinnick, and I think ISU may have even taken a brief lead in the game. Can't remember who for sure was at QB for us, but I remember that Thigpen was on Iowa's team. Think it was Hartlieb at QB for them. It was a damn good game.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 302
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

Actually, funny you bring this up, because I was just thinking about how I saw a replay on Mediacom a few months ago of an Iowa/ISU game from the early 90's, and that ISU team was pretty damn competitive. It was a game at Kinnick, and I think ISU may have even taken a brief lead in the game. Can't remember who for sure was at QB for us, but I remember that Thigpen was on Iowa's team. Think it was Hartlieb at QB for them. It was a damn good game.
    Wow, they may have actually taken a brief lead in that game? That doesn't compare at all to winning 6 of the last 9 does it?

/sarcasm

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 44

The only ISU/EIU game in the early 90's that was close at Kinnick was 1990 I think when we played there. Brett Oberg was the QB and we were down 3-7 late in the 4th quarter. I think we got a turnover and we were marching down the field for the possible upset when Oberg threw an interception with less then a minute to play that doomed us. I was sitting in the south endzone about 5 rows up. That was, and will be, the only time I visit that DUMP of a stadium ever.

I disagree with U darts about us not being any better. When Walden left, there was no commentary on ESPN and I personally was so sick of both winers Criner and Walden that him leaving was nothing. With Mac, even though this year is in shambles, he has taken us to a level where we are getting respect. We were picked to fight NU for the conference title pre-season and fought for the same title the two years before. Did that ever happen under Walden or Criner???????????????????

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

Give me a break!!!! We are nowhere near close to where we were before Mac got hear. I was at school during the Criner and Walden years and we are now at least competitive.
    Being competitive with UNI, UNLV and Toledo doesn't count. ISU was not competitive in the Big 12 for 2 of the past 4 years. The team should be consitently competitve in the Big 12, and ISU isn't. From a competitive and talent standpoint, I'm afraid that ISU is much closer to being at the "Walden" level than many are willing to admit. We will see over the next couple of years.

As for Walden's teams making this year's team look like a superbowl contender, that's just plain silly. I know you were probably just going for dramatic effect, but even then, the statement has to have at least some basis in fact.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

The only ISU/EIU game in the early 90's that was close at Kinnick was 1990 I think when we played there. Brett Oberg was the QB and we were down 3-7 late in the 4th quarter. I think we got a turnover and we were marching down the field for the possible upset when Oberg threw an interception with less then a minute to play that doomed us. I was sitting in the south endzone about 5 rows up. That was, and will be, the only time I visit that DUMP of a stadium ever.

I disagree with U darts about us not being any better. When Walden left, there was no commentary on ESPN and I personally was so sick of both winers Criner and Walden that him leaving was nothing. With Mac, even though this year is in shambles, he has taken us to a level where we are getting respect. We were picked to fight NU for the conference title pre-season and fought for the same title the two years before. Did that ever happen under Walden or Criner???????????????????
    I will respectfully disagree, I believe that our conference being as bad as it has been the past 3 years allowed a pretty average Iowa State team the opportunity to compete for the title.

So while we have been the butt of Lou Holtz's jokes, the fact that we were there for two years led people to believe that this program was on the upswing. The fact that the fine people at ESPN could show us choking away a division title has more to do with the fact that Nebraska was bad, and K State was as well. And Colorado was just such a repugnant program that you couldn't sell them in Denver.

Jeffrey A Crawford