Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

I don't buy McCarney to Stanford

I've never met Dan McCarney personally but I will take everyone's word that he's a great guy and has worked extremely hard at ISU. But I just can't see the Stanford administration selling their fan base on a guy who is 55-85 in his only head coaching job. And I think the concept that Barry Alvarez will coach Miami for awhile and then promote McCarney to HC is ridiculous. If Mac gets a head coaching job I expect it to be of the Frank Solich variety -- MAC, Mountain West, something like that. I don't care if Ames is perceived as being the North Pole, it would be tough for any BCS school to sell a guy with 55-85 record, no major bowl games, and never being close to a conference championship.

As tiresome as the negative threads were over the last several weeks, I find the "Dan is great" post-mortem to be even harder to swallow. He did give us something to cheer about, but never with any consistency. 2000 and 2001 were very good years but any success since then has really been smoke and mirrors. When the competition got tougher we just wilted -- see the 2nd half of 2002, 2003, and 2006. And now we're terrible, with not much more talent than we had in '94.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: I don't buy McCarney to Stanford

I always thought Stanford would aim a little higher than DM.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Thumbs down Re: I don't buy McCarney to Stanford

Quote Originally Posted by clonehome View Post
    I've never met Dan McCarney personally but I will take everyone's word that he's a great guy and has worked extremely hard at ISU. But I just can't see the Stanford administration selling their fan base on a guy who is 55-85 in his only head coaching job. And I think the concept that Barry Alvarez will coach Miami for awhile and then promote McCarney to HC is ridiculous. If Mac gets a head coaching job I expect it to be of the Frank Solich variety -- MAC, Mountain West, something like that. I don't care if Ames is perceived as being the North Pole, it would be tough for any BCS school to sell a guy with 55-85 record, no major bowl games, and never being close to a conference championship.

As tiresome as the negative threads were over the last several weeks, I find the "Dan is great" post-mortem to be even harder to swallow. He did give us something to cheer about, but never with any consistency. 2000 and 2001 were very good years but any success since then has really been smoke and mirrors. When the competition got tougher we just wilted -- see the 2nd half of 2002, 2003, and 2006. And now we're terrible, with not much more talent than we had in '94.
    LMAO you said that he was never close to being a conference champion are you ********??????? two years ago we tied for Big 12 North conference champions and one year ago we were one game out of being Big 12 North Conference Champions....Next time you want to bash MAC on a thread you better look up you facts so you dont look like a complete id iot.

"It's Been A Hell Of a Ride"-Dan Maccarney

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,145
    Given: 1,023

Quote Originally Posted by CyMertz08 View Post
    LMAO you said that he was never close to being a conference champion are you ********??????? two years ago we tied for Big 12 North conference champions and one year ago we were one game out of being Big 12 North Conference Champions....Next time you want to bash MAC on a thread you better look up you facts so you dont look like a complete id iot.
    Perfectly stated.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 249

Quote Originally Posted by CyMertz08 View Post
    Dan McCarney has never played in the Big 12 championship game. How's that for a fact? Having never played for the championship, it seems reasonable to suggest that DM has not been close to being conference champion.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

And please NEVER forget that we led at Kansas 21-7, and let that game slip away.

It was that memory that caused Mac to proclaim in the preseason that he had "learned from past mistakes," I was irate after the first 3-4 games because I thought he had lied. In retrospect, I guess it was because he apparantly knew that he had a BAD team, so I will give Mac the out for that.

What I won't excuse is the lack of talent that we apparantly have after 12 years.

Jeffrey A Crawford

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Dan McCarney has never played in the Big 12 championship game. How's that for a fact? Having never played for the championship, it seems reasonable to suggest that DM has not been close to being conference champion.

But he went out and got rings that say that we were "CO-CHAMPS" What a joke, you **** a game against Missouri away, yet still try to spin that somehow we were still champs.

And how bad would have Texas killed us anyways??? I mean if we were not close to them without VY, how much more would they have beaten us with him???

Jeffrey A Crawford

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I'm not getting into the debate that Mac is a bad coach or a good coach at a tough school. I will say that Mac never really had the team this year he thought we would have. On defense, Berryman and Robertson were given the boot, Eboch never made grades (again), the DE from Ft. Dodge and Jackson were lost for the season plus the SS (Smith?) broke his ankle and never returned until the ship was sunk. That makes 6 starters on defense alone, which I think would be hard for any coach to overcome, esp. when the defense is young to begin with. The offense's struggles are a mystery though.

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 1

No BCS Conference Schools will Hire Mac as HC

I have a tough time believing any BCS AD could sell to their fans that they are hiring a coach who just won 0 or 1 conference games. ISU might not be an easy place to win, but heck Donnie Duncan never had seasons like 2003 or 2006.

IMO the only way Mac ever becomes a head coach at a BCS school is if he goes to a mid-major program & has tremendous success. I'm talking about getting a MAC or MW Conference school to the level of Boise State or TCU levels- a top 25 program for 2-3 years.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 606

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    But he went out and got rings that say that we were "CO-CHAMPS" What a joke, you **** a game against Missouri away, yet still try to spin that somehow we were still champs.

And how bad would have Texas killed us anyways??? I mean if we were not close to them without VY, how much more would they have beaten us with him???

No more than 49-14. Just watch Nebraska this year in KC. Expect the Longhorns to be mad.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 931

well, vande velde seems to be in love with mac, and the stanford program is in a pit, and mac took a program with no hope and at least made it respectable. seems like a match made in heaven to me

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,889
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 69

Yeah I doubt Stanford will go after Mac. There's too much blue blood there and you would think they would try to hire a coach who currently is successful.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    well, vande velde seems to be in love with mac, and the stanford program is in a pit, and mac took a program with no hope and at least made it respectable. seems like a match made in heaven to me
    Ummmmm.....Bob Bowlsby, who was the AD at U of I is the AD at Stanford.
    Now due to the Iowa ties, maybe that is where you are confused.
    In fact I don't even know where ol' Bruce ended up. Does anyone remember where he left ISU for??

Jeffrey A Crawford