Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 7

Barnes, Harrison

Maybe I am wrong, I preface this post with "I may be wrong" but I want to express something I havn't seen.
    What would you do if you were rated #!:
    Personally I would see what is out there for my career. Every team wants Barnes, every major wants him, why wouldn't he wait to make the announcement?
    I believe Barnes should wait and see what his best opportunity will be, and I hope he is looking at his education as number 1. We all know he can play basketball, but what about the support he may earn for grades and skills. What is the best education he will recieve along with basketball? From what I have heard is that he isn't concerned with one year and done, so why not be at the school with the best chance at a national championship. We aren't that far away from being the best team in America, so why aren't we confident that Harrison won't be with us and take us to that level again? I think in the end he will make the best choice for him, which I hope is ISU, but either way he will make the choice that is best for his future.
    I pray he will be with us, but either way we need to support him with his decision.
    Basically, good luck Harrison, I support you with your decision, just make sure you look at your future beyond basketball, and if you want to help a team win a National Title, why not ISU!

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Barnes, Harrison

Good post. From what I have gathered by the reports (not message board talk) is that he wants the academics first and the rest will come.

I read "I want a school that really sets me up for life, good academics and a good basketball team. I want a school that can make me look better, one that I can make an impact on."

We just need to show him that we are improving and show him that we can develop players. I hear both DG and Craig are looking stronger with their game and that I think this is a positive for us.

Wesley Staten (2012 - verbal commit)

Addict
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,176
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by BCforISU View Post
    Maybe I am wrong, I preface this post with "I may be wrong" but I want to express something I havn't seen.
    What would you do if you were rated #!:
    Personally I would see what is out there for my career. Every team wants Barnes, every major wants him, why wouldn't he wait to make the announcement?
    I believe Barnes should wait and see what his best opportunity will be, and I hope he is looking at his education as number 1. We all know he can play basketball, but what about the support he may earn for grades and skills. What is the best education he will recieve along with basketball? From what I have heard is that he isn't concerned with one year and done, so why not be at the school with the best chance at a national championship. We aren't that far away from being the best team in America, so why aren't we confident that Harrison won't be with us and take us to that level again? I think in the end he will make the best choice for him, which I hope is ISU, but either way he will make the choice that is best for his future.
    I pray he will be with us, but either way we need to support him with his decision.
    Basically, good luck Harrison, I support you with your decision, just make sure you look at your future beyond basketball, and if you want to help a team win a National Title, why not ISU!
    I hope you're being sarcastic. We didn't even make the NIT last year. That's a LONG way from the best team in America.

On top of that, you have to look at McD's style of play, and how that fits what Harrison does. More importantly, you have to look at what the school has that Harrison wants in a school.

Honestly, I don't know that ISU is a great fit for Harrison. I'd be overjoyed if he came here, but not at all surprised if he didn't. It wouldn't be an insult to ISU, it would just be an unfortunate lack of commonality.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 32

We aren't that far away from being the best team in America, so why aren't we confident that Harrison won't be with us and take us to that level again?
    By this you mean it is not very far to drive to Lawrence right? ISU is a long long ways from even making the NCAA tourney let alone competing for titles.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

If I was number exclamation point, I would go to Drake.

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 45

i can see both sides of this arguement.

we arent far from being the best team in america... true. no one is. one player can take a team pretty far. see KState. yes i know they didnt win the title but they did make the tourney and had a good showing. when you add a good support staff (Lucca, Craig, etc) and a coaching staff that can teach a bunch of 20 year olds to play as a team, ANY team in america is not that far. no matter how sub-mediocre they were last season.

on the other hand, yes nearly every single thing that goes into a basketball season would have to go perfectly for us to make a tourney run that is more than the first round. we have not been good in the recent years. and by not good i mean bad.

bottom line, the phrase worst to first exists because it has happened before. why not Harrison to IState? and why not IState to the sweet 16 in 2-3 years? elite 8? further?

Husker Hater

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

We aren't that far away from being the best team in America, so why aren't we confident that Harrison won't be with us and take us to that level again?
    Just my guess but I think the poster meant to say that we WERE'NT that far way from being the best team in America (in 2000) and that Harrison could take us back to that level.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

If I were an above average Division 1 prospect (know I'll get plenty of playing time... but not an elite player), I would be thinking:

What school gives me the best chance to be on a team with other good players that we can make a championship run.

If I were an elite basketball prospect (say number 1 ranking at my position) I would be thinking:
    Which school do I give the chance to be a championship caliber team?

No matter what school he goes to... they're going to be a great team. Yeah... you can't do it by yourself... but you commit to a team... and then those other above average guys want to commit to your team.

Only 5 guys for your team on the court at a time... one person makes a huge difference in the game of basketball.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 44

He doesn't need to wait and see - Duke, UNC, and Kansas have offered. Make a verbal decision now to get everyone off your back, you can always change your mind if something changes down the road (coach change).

As for McD's system, if he could get the #1 recruit in America - i am guessing he can change his system to fit him.

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,457
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 110

Hey, I hope Mr. Barnes continues to improve and becomes that special player, and regardless of where he goes, I will be a fan if he works hard and is a legit good person (by which all accounts so far he is!).
    Can't blame the young men from Iowa (the Hinrichs, Collisons, and the fella up in Wisconsin to name a few) that have left the state to join another program. I'll cheer them on, until they play us. When Floyd left and Collison and Hinrich went to KU, a lot thought all was lost. Then, we seemed to have a pretty good run without those guys.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to retain our State's best talent and have them lead in the growth of our program and/or retain a sustainable high level. We just have to be calm, patient, and realize others will live their own lives and we should support those that do so and are good human beings.
    In summary (and I apologize for being so long-winded), this is why I do not understand the constant 'Harrison Barnes' threads, but it's not like any one is forcing me to read them.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 414

[quote=erikbj;547972]He doesn't need to wait and see - Duke, UNC, and Kansas have offered. Make a verbal decision now to get everyone off your back, you can always change your mind if something changes down the road (coach change).

Who says people are on Barnes' back? We are message board geeks. I hope he doesn't give a damn about us and what we say/write.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I know a lot of the top 20 kids want to play for a powerhouse so people know how good you are. But if you're the number 1 recruit, why not shock the world and go somewhere like Iowa State and resurrect the program?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

[quote=Cydkar;548001]
    Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    We are message board geeks. I hope he doesn't give a damn about us and what we say/write.
    whoa whoa whoa who you calling a geek?

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

looking at McD's system, looked like wesley was dominant when he was healthy being the center of the offense... barnes would be like that. Barnes choice really comes down to does he want a championship and take a lesser role on the team (Duke, UNC, Kansas) or does he want to change a program and be the face of a team and lead them (ISU)

ALL IN

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneman003 View Post
    looking at McD's system, looked like wesley was dominant when he was healthy being the center of the offense... barnes would be like that. Barnes choice really comes down to does he want a championship and take a lesser role on the team (Duke, UNC, Kansas) or does he want to change a program and be the face of a team and lead them (ISU)
    or does he want to be the face of a program but not a mile down the road (TCU, Oklahoma, Indiana)

Husker Hater