Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

ESPN Preview of Cyclones

I hadn't seen this posted so here it is

ESPN - Team preview: Iowa State - College Football

You will need insider to get any good info.

Last edited by CyGuy33; 07-17-2008 at 02:00 PM.
    "Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: ESPN Preview of Cyclones

Full article is only available to ESPN Insider subscribers. Here's the free excerpt:

COACH AND PROGRAM

The first year of head coach Gene Chizik's career at Iowa State went about as well as could be expected. He took over a program that hadn't been much better than mediocre in recent times, and his most talented holdovers on offense and defense had to learn new schemes. The sidelines were filled with new faces, from the entire coaching staff to 10 junior college transfers brought on board to fight for starting jobs.

In the end, 2007 was a classic case of taking a step back before you can go forward -- but by the end of the season, progress was clearly evident.

True, the Cyclones won only three games, but two of those victories came in November -- one against bowl-bound Colorado, a week after the Cyclones had snapped a six-game losing streak by knocking off Kansas State.

And positive signs were showing up even before the wins arrived in Ames. Two weeks before the Kansas State victory, the Cyclones led No. 4 Oklahoma 7-0 midway through the third quarter, and came within a tipped interception at the goal line of tying the game in the fourth quarter of an eventual 17-7 home loss to the Soo--

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Rookie
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I read it. It is pretty fair and balanced. Stated we are not a bowl team yet but doesn't give any other real prediction.

I'm kind of a big deal!

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

The article on Kansas makes it sound like their offense may take some time to find themselves and is inexperienced, yet they give them a pretty strong grade.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,320
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 7

KU lost its #1 RB, #1 WR, #1 TE, and both starting Tackles.

- At RB, Jacques Crawford (JuCo Player of the Year) will replace Brandon McAnderson. I expect the RB position to be better than last year. Crawford is very good. And the #2, #3, and #4 RBs all return from last yaer. #2 Jake Sharp had 800 yards or so last year.

- At WR, KU loses Marcus Henry, who will likely will be replaced by Jonathan Wilson. They're the same type of player, but Henry was very good last season and production at that position will decrease. However, Kerry Meier, Dexton Fields, and Dezmon Briscoe all return and will help fill the void left by Henry's departure. Also keep your eye out for incoming freshman Daymond Patterson. He will probably be the punt returner from Day 1 and will probably get some work from the slot to utilize his impressive speed and agility.

- At TE, KU lost Derek Fine. I have no idea who will replace him, but the options are RsSO Dedeaux, RsFR Steward, or incoming an incoming freshman among Biere, Hawkinson, or Plato. I expect Dedeaux to win this position battle, but whoever wins it will not fill Derek Fine's production from last season.

- At the tackles, KU lost Anthony Collins and Cesar Rodriguez. They will be replaced by three guys primarily: RsFR Jeff Spikes, who Mangino has said could be the best OL ever at KU by the time he's done, RsSR Matt Darton, and JR Nathan D'Cunha, a 26 year old JuCo transfer who grew up playing rugby. All three are around 6-6, 310. Although there is some talent there, it will be hard to replace Collins especially. I'm scared to see George Selvie of USF on the schedule early in the season, because if Todd Reesing gets hurt, KU probably isn't going bowling.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but KU's offense will definitely be down a little next year, at least in the beginning.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 314

I still get gitty over that Oklahoma game. Ames would have turned upside down inside out if that would have been a W.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyGuy33 View Post
    I hadn't seen this posted so here it is

ESPN - Team preview: Iowa State - College Football

You will need insider to get any good info.
    If you want cheap Insider access, go to ebay, type in "espn subscription" and you can usually get a 3-4 year subscription for under $15. You get free Insider access with a subscription I believe.